Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

PaulieC wrote: »
    I was thinking of cycling as a supplement to running rather than a replacement. There have been some recent traffic layout changes near to work (sitting stationery for 20 minutes on Tuesday) , so I was thinking of more bike commuting, maybe 4 days a week. It's only 6 miles each way, but it has to have some benefit, right ?

I think of it as the equivalent of a recovery run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Cycling is the devils work pauli,once u throw ur leg over a saddle it'll set u back about 2 months base training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Cycling is the devils work pauli,once u throw ur leg over a saddle it'll set u back about 2 months base training

Tell me about it. Started cycling during the summer, now stuck on a spin bike with a broken clavicle and torn ligaments doing no running :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Tell me about it. Started cycling during the summer, now stuck on a spin bike with a broken clavicle and torn ligaments doing no running :(

I've been cycling since I was young, it's like riding a bike.

Was stopped at light earlier, two local lads crossing the road in front of me, one says 'nice bike, bud'. I don't think he was complementing me on my taste in bikes though. Got out of there pretty quickly ��

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

PaulieC wrote: »
    I was thinking of cycling as a supplement to running rather than a replacement. There have been some recent traffic layout changes near to work (sitting stationery for 20 minutes on Tuesday) , so I was thinking of more bike commuting, maybe 4 days a week. It's only 6 miles each way, but it has to have some benefit, right ?

I used to commute on the bike, 5 miles each way, virtually every workday for 7 years until last September. I was never quite sure if it provided any benefits for running or not.

My race performances did not change once I stopped cycling, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

You should definetly start cycling, I'd also suggest swimming too. Preferably all three one after the other ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭straps

How do people determine heart rate on bikes? Are they different to cycling??

Also how do people calculate the miles equivalent to running. Sidelined from running n physio advised cycling. But also said to try stick to my running program ie easy run =easy cycle long run long cycle etc just wondering is there a general rule of thumb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

There is some variance between them alright. You could try go off maximum perceived effort until you figure out exactly what your rates are.

Here is a good article that discusses it. You could do the test in the article to ins our bike MHR.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/mobile/Article.html?articleId=53

As far as distance it depends on your bike fitness and speed. For me an easy cycle is probably an easy effort over ~70km (25kmh) with a hard effort being ~40km at (~29kmh). Sometimes for a long spin I would push upwards of 80km, I should be going over 100 but don't have the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

I tend to stomp quite heavily when I'm out running, I'm trying to land more on the balls of my feet rather than the heal lately, is there any tips/techniques for pulling back the impact when running??

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

pauldoo wrote: »
    I tend to stomp quite heavily when I'm out running, I'm trying to land more on the balls of my feet rather than the heal lately, is there any tips/techniques for pulling back the impact when running??

Watch the stride efficiency drills videos linked in this article: http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/solving-the-5k-puzzle?nopaging=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

What are the benifits of doing Fartlek sessions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jotunheim

RonanP77 wrote: »
    What are the benifits of doing Fartlek sessions?

I find them an enjoyable way to get a fairly intense session in a short space of time. For racing benefit I use them to set challenges in the run that I'm not sure I can even achieve, like next kilometre sub 4 say when I'm already blowing hard, then a random set of intervals for the next k which will leave me wobbly, all of which, I find, adds up to the sort of pressures you can find in a race. I find too that they're useful for livening up a well used route, the hill becomes a different target, the long straight somewhere you look for increased tempo etc. There are probably a lot of core strength benefits too from using muscles at paces you wouldn't ordinarily run and similar aerobic benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Did an hour 5 aside. Haven't played football properly in almost a year. Damn you 10 mile long runs, you don't help one bit. I almost died as I'm not used to sprinting anymore :L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Did an hour 5 aside. Haven't played football properly in almost a year. Damn you 10 mile long runs, you don't help one bit. I almost died as I'm not used to sprinting anymore :L

Give up the soccer and concentrate on sprinting :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Why have I only noticed this thread, now have to work my way through it now, and get an answer to probably most of my questions. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

Training to improve endurace

So finding in my last few races that the speed I want is there but fading a little as the race goes on. Hence I figure that my endurance needs to be improved.
    For the last few months generally run 4-5 times a week, which was 1 speed session, 3 easy runs (8ish pace about 5 mile distance) and a 10-12ish mile LSR. Running 25-35 miles most weeks and it worked very well and saw a lot of improvement.

With personal life I will likely be missing the club sessions for the next while and am happy to put in a few months of base building again. Will be targeting 10 mile races at the start of next year (Dungarvan and BallyCotton) and then hoping to get some quicker 5ks on the back of that. Currently 19:15 pb for 5k, will be aiming to go in the region of 18:30 next year.

So any advice for a plan going forward?

My own thoughts
    1. I need to do a tempo to get the body used to running harder than comfortable for a sustained period
    2. Add some longish hills 10 reps(60-90s) once a week or every second week in place of a speed session
    3. Try to lengthen some of the easy runs to 7-8 miles to increase mileage
    4. Maybe my easy runs are a little slow at 90s off race pace??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

MarkY91 wrote: »

I haven't played ball for about 10 years, but while on holidays in Turkey, there were staff vs guests matches a couple of nights a week on astro. There were usually three teams there so there was a lot of swapping around. I ended up playing about 90 minutes in 30 degree heat and it didn't take much out of me (apart from the massive bruise from getting a knee on the shin). Really enjoyed the pints afterwards too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

tipping wrote: »
    Training to improve endurace

So finding in my last few races that the speed I want is there but fading a little as the race goes on. Hence I figure that my endurance needs to be improved.
    For the last few months generally run 4-5 times a week, which was 1 speed session, 3 easy runs (8ish pace about 5 mile distance) and a 10-12ish mile LSR. Running 25-35 miles most weeks and it worked very well and saw a lot of improvement.

With personal life I will likely be missing the club sessions for the next while and am happy to put in a few months of base building again. Will be targeting 10 mile races at the start of next year (Dungarvan and BallyCotton) and then hoping to get some quicker 5ks on the back of that. Currently 19:15 pb for 5k, will be aiming to go in the region of 18:30 next year.

So any advice for a plan going forward?

My own thoughts
    1. I need to do a tempo to get the body used to running harder than comfortable for a sustained period
    2. Add some longish hills 10 reps(60-90s) once a week or every second week in place of a speed session
    3. Try to lengthen some of the easy runs to 7-8 miles to increase mileage
    4. Maybe my easy runs are a little slow at 90s off race pace??

Just no. 3 I think if you're just looking to improve endurance. Not that there's any harm in the others but the hills are a speed/strength/co-ordination workout and the tempo is good for helping with your lactate threshold. If you keep a balanced approach and increase the number of easy miles you'll get there. Be patient though runners are made over years not weeks.

Clearlier wrote: »
    Just no. 3 I think if you're just looking to improve endurance. Not that there's any harm in the others but the hills are a speed/strength/co-ordination workout and the tempo is good for helping with your lactate threshold. If you keep a balanced approach and increase the number of easy miles you'll get there.

Thanks for the advice. Especially this bit
    Be patient though runners are made over years not weeks.

I think when I say endurance I mean performance, but I do feel that it's mostly endurance that letting me down.
    I suppose the reason I didn't have No.3 first is with a new arrival on the way (imminently) time will be limited so increasing mileage will be difficult for a few months.

So new plan is (still subject to refinement if needs be)

1. Try to hit 30+ miles a week fairly consistently in 4-5 runs. Add sneaky miles to the end of the easy runs as time allows. Listen to the body and stay injury free (No physio since March which is a major record for me!:))

2. Replace an easy run or the speed work with a tempo/hills session on occasion as and when seems appropriate and legs are feeling good but don't go crazy..

I like simple plans..

Do you folk eat more on running days, or more generally when you're training for a long distance event?

I've been eating less, because finding time to both eat and to run has proven difficult, but I'm making food schedules and trying to make a bigger effort to eat regularly so just wondered what other people do.

• Advertisement

Do you folk eat more on running days, or more generally when you're training for a long distance event?

I've been eating less, because finding time to both eat and to run has proven difficult, but I'm making food schedules and trying to make a bigger effort to eat regularly so just wondered what other people do.

Breakfast,lunch and dinner.....dont over complicate it

Breakfast,lunch and dinner.....dont over complicate it

I kept missing the dinner part because of the times I was running!

I kept missing the dinner part because of the times I was running!
    Get urself a burd/fella who can cook...

Thanks for the advice. Especially this bit

I think when I say endurance I mean performance, but I do feel that it's mostly endurance that letting me down.
    I suppose the reason I didn't have No.3 first is with a new arrival on the way (imminently) time will be limited so increasing mileage will be difficult for a few months.

So new plan is (still subject to refinement if needs be)

1. Try to hit 30+ miles a week fairly consistently in 4-5 runs. Add sneaky miles to the end of the easy runs as time allows. Listen to the body and stay injury free (No physio since March which is a major record for me!:))

2. Replace an easy run or the speed work with a tempo/hills session on occasion as and when seems appropriate and legs are feeling good but don't go crazy..

I like simple plans..

I would be wary of trying to increase training levels around the time of a new arrival. You'll do well to maintain your current level of training. Sometimes you'll be better off taking the time to rest instead of run.

Clearlier wrote: »
    I would be wary of trying to increase training levels around the time of a new arrival. You'll do well to maintain your current level of training. Sometimes you'll be better off taking the time to rest instead of run.

Ah but this one will be a good one.. I'm sure of it:)..
    I've served my time with grumpy non-sleeping babies I hope..

Get urself a burd/fella who can cook...

And who has time to cook for me :P :D

I've been eating more since getting back into the running but just because I'm hungrier. All portion sizes across all meals have gone up and holding my weight at 165-168lbs (where I want to be)

Ah but this one will be a good one.. I'm sure of it:)..
    I've served my time with grumpy non-sleeping babies I hope..

If only it worked that way!

I've been eating more since getting back into the running but just because I'm hungrier. All portion sizes across all meals have gone up and holding my weight at 165-168lbs (where I want to be)

I had been finding I was less hungry, and so when you're not hungry, you can easily forget to eat!

I had a couple of days over the past few weeks, where I ate a fairly small lunch at around 12.30pm. By the time I got home and got out for a run it could be 7.30 and then you're talking 9-9.30 by the time you're thinking about dinner but I find eating immediately after a run a bit difficult. So I have ended up making a cup of tea and sitting down and then just going to bed!

It's just trying to fit everything in, as well as actual real life stuff. I'll figure it out sure :)

• Advertisement

I had been finding I was less hungry, and so when you're not hungry, you can easily forget to eat!

I had a couple of days over the past few weeks, where I ate a fairly small lunch at around 12.30pm. By the time I got home and got out for a run it could be 7.30 and then you're talking 9-9.30 by the time you're thinking about dinner but I find eating immediately after a run a bit difficult. So I have ended up making a cup of tea and sitting down and then just going to bed!

It's just trying to fit everything in, as well as actual real life stuff. I'll figure it out sure :)

Can you take a few minutes mid-afternoon to eat something?

Advertisement