Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

Has anyone ever had any physiological or fitness testing done, and was it worthwhile? Something like this..

http://www.aitsport.ie/sport-science/ait-sports-high-performance-testing/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Do you folk eat more on running days, or more generally when you're training for a long distance event?

I've been eating less, because finding time to both eat and to run has proven difficult, but I'm making food schedules and trying to make a bigger effort to eat regularly so just wondered what other people do.

Every day is a running day :)

Only difference is that after a long run day I tend to have a few pints on top of my food cos that's how I like to spend my extra calories :cool:

Clearlier wrote: »
    Can you take a few minutes mid-afternoon to eat something?

Yeh that's what I've been kind of trying to do the last few days, eat between lunch and running. I need to set an alarm though because otherwise I won't remember.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Every day is a running day :)

Only difference is that after a long run day I tend to have a few pints on top of my food cos that's how I like to spend my extra calories :cool:

Haven't had pints in weeks >.<

Have a race coming up. I intend having a few after that :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Not really a question just an observation on myself and well maybe see if others are the same. Since I started running proper maybe 3 years ago I find the hangovers after drinking much worse, a lad in work thinks your metabolism speeds up and this is why. I am not so sure.

Now maybe its just me and I am just getting older but at 35 I am not exactly over the hill. So has anybody else found the same happening..? Its at the stage now that I dread the next day and have cut back loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

Dub13 wrote: »
    Not really a question just an observation on myself and well maybe see if others are the same. Since I started running proper maybe 3 years ago I find the hangovers after drinking much worse, a lad in work thinks your metabolism speeds up and this is why. I am not so sure.

Now maybe its just me and I am just getting older but at 35 I am not exactly over the hill. So has anybody else found the same happening..? Its at the stage now that I dread the next day and have cut back loads.

I have found the opposite. Majority of my hangovers have been timid enough since I started running. I usually don't drink spirits and try to drink a lot of water also on nights out. Nothing like a few miles into a headwind to help a hangover.

I would be inclined to call BS on the faster metabolism comment from the lad in work from my own experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

I'm not sure about hangovers, I get them sometimes and not others, but I definitely can't handle as much booze as I could when I was less fit. Of course I was also younger so who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

I'm sure it's been discussed here but cannot search on phone. Is anybody here from Cusaders ac? Are beginners / re-starters welcome there? Not super fit at the moment, trying to get back to running

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

scaryfairy wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been discussed here but cannot search on phone. Is anybody here from Cusaders ac? Are beginners / re-starters welcome there? Not super fit at the moment, trying to get back to running

All levels catered for. Just head to the track for 6.30pm on Tuesday and speak to any of the coaches. You'll be well looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

Cheers Bungy Girl, will do. Is there a place to leave a bag? I'll be coming from work on my bike. Thanks

scaryfairy wrote: »
    Cheers Bungy Girl, will do. Is there a place to leave a bag? I'll be coming from work on my bike. Thanks

There are lockers in the changing rooms, I think you need a coin for them. Bring a lock for your bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Thinking of joining a running club. Sportsworld in bushy park to be precise. Would I be allowed a session to see what's what before I decide to join or not?

Male 24
    PB'S. .

5k 21:50~
    5 mile 39:50~
    10 mile 1:30~

you can see that I'm nothing impressive. Would like to be trained in improving tines of all 3 distances above and maybe a half marathon which I'm looking to train for after my first official 10 mile race

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Thinking of joining a running club. Sportsworld in bushy park to be precise. Would I be allowed a session to see what's what before I decide to join or not?

yeah, they'd be fine with that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

RayCun wrote: »
    yeah, they'd be fine with that

Thanks. I might turn up tonight

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Head down this evening. They are fine with you training for a few weeks before deciding if you want to join or not. Best of luck with it.

My Dublin marathon plan has me down for a 22 mile LSR the weekend of the Longford marathon in 2 weeks time (8 weeks out from Dublin). What would be the positives/negatives of doing Longford as a training run, say PMP + 45-60 seconds (the pace I would be doing my LSR at anyway)? Would those extra 4.2 miles really have that much of an impact on training or recovery?

I am currently leaning towards doing Longford as I would be doing the 22 miler on my own so I would imagine that having people around me and the added bonus of water stations and whatever support out on the route would help a good bit.

Would many people run the marathon distance while training for a marathon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jotunheim

Would those extra 4.2 miles really have that much of an impact on training or recovery?

Potentially, they are the hard miles after all.
    How good are you at maintaining pace discipline and not getting caught up in the race?
    How well do you normally recover from long runs and races?
    How far along are you with your Dublin-specific plan and running in general?

Personally, unless the answers were, zen-like discipline, recovered within a couple of days and plenty of consistent miles done for the programme after a good history of running, I'd hold off on the full distance and stick to the plan for my goal race. Even then it might not be worth your while, you're altering two weeks of your programme for Dublin by tapering and recovering at a time when you only have single-figure weeks left. It's easy to get sucked into racing too much and not doing yourself any justice.

My Dublin marathon plan has me down for a 22 mile LSR the weekend of the Longford marathon in 2 weeks time (8 weeks out from Dublin). What would be the positives/negatives of doing Longford as a training run, say PMP + 45-60 seconds (the pace I would be doing my LSR at anyway)? Would those extra 4.2 miles really have that much of an impact on training or recovery?

I am currently leaning towards doing Longford as I would be doing the 22 miler on my own so I would imagine that having people around me and the added bonus of water stations and whatever support out on the route would help a good bit.

Yeah I have done it before. I don't think that the extra 4 miles makes a huge amount of difference as long as you really are disciplined enough to do it as a training run. Could you volunteer as a pacer? That would definitely make sure you don't do it too fast...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Firstly, it's an expensive training run, so you'd want to make sure that you're getting your moneys-worth. For me, that would equate to running the half at marathon pace, rather than running the full at easy pace (which you can do anywhere anytime). But if you feel like you need the endurance benefit of running the full distance, are well disciplined, and have loads of money to burn, then no great harm.

I've run marathons (and longer) quite a bit as training runs, and the second factor is to make sure that you allow suitable recovery time, before you try anything challenging. My one and only significant injury came from pacing a buddy through his first marathon and then attempting a speed-work session 4 days later. Those extra 4 miles may not sound like much, but it's usually those final 4 miles that hurt the most!

Finally, don't get lost! Ran a training marathon once, and a missing marshal meant that the first handful of runners missed a turn and ended up running 30-32 miles. Had some regrets after that one.. <grumble, grumble>.

Jotunheim wrote: »
    Potentially, they are the hard miles after all.
    How good are you at maintaining pace discipline and not getting caught up in the race?
    How well do you normally recover from long runs and races?
    How far along are you with your Dublin-specific plan and running in general?

Personally, unless the answers were, zen-like discipline, recovered within a couple of days and plenty of consistent miles done for the programme after a good history of running, I'd hold off on the full distance and stick to the plan for my goal race. Even then it might not be worth your while, you're altering two weeks of your programme for Dublin by tapering and recovering at a time when you only have single-figure weeks left. It's easy to get sucked into racing too much and not doing yourself any justice.

I would be good at not getting carried away and sticking to a specific pace. I wouldn't be viewing this as a race and will not be getting a PB so the result will have little importance.
    My recovery is usually quite fast. Was back doing easy runs a few days after my last marathon.
    I started an 18 week plan 2 weeks early repeating week 4 already with a week in hand. I started the plan with a decent base.

I wouldn't be doing a taper, the only difference would be doing a 26.2 mile run v's a 22 mile run. I have an easy 6 planned for the following day which will be canned if the legs aren't up for it. I have done 10 runs of 20 miles or more this year and have been back running within 2 days for all of them bar one (the marathon I raced) so I would hope to be fully recovered in 4-5 days..... given the above would this recovery be over ambitious?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah I have done it before. I don't think that the extra 4 miles makes a huge amount of difference as long as you really are disciplined enough to do it as a training run. Could you volunteer as a pacer? That would definitely make sure you don't do it too fast...

How far along were you in your plan when you did one? How long did it take to recover?

Ye I might look into potentially pacing. I paced a half not too long ago and really enjoyed that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jotunheim

I would be good at not getting carried away and sticking to a specific pace. I wouldn't be viewing this as a race and will not be getting a PB so the result will have little importance.
    My recovery is usually quite fast. Was back doing easy runs a few days after my last marathon.
    I started an 18 week plan 2 weeks early repeating week 4 already with a week in hand. I started the plan with a decent base.

I wouldn't be doing a taper, the only difference would be doing a 26.2 mile run v's a 22 mile run. I have an easy 6 planned for the following day which will be canned if the legs aren't up for it. I have done 10 runs of 20 miles or more this year and have been back running within 2 days for all of them bar one (the marathon I raced) so I would hope to be fully recovered in 4-5 days..... given the above would this recovery be over ambitious?

That sounds to me like you've all the boxes ticked to go for it then, just don't forget your plan and goal race.

How far along were you in your plan when you did one? How long did it take to recover?

Ye I might look into potentially pacing. I paced a half not too long ago and really enjoyed that.

I think I was 4-5 weeks out and I had a P&D session that was something like 22 miles with 12 @ PMP. I just ran 10 easy, 12 @ PMP and 4.2 cool down.

Funnily enough I did it in Longford as well. I don't remember it taking any extra time to recover than was in the plan.

I need to find a long hill close to home of approx 6%. Long enough to allow for about 90 seconds of running. Anyone know how I go about calculating this without fancy gadgets. Or would the Malahide Road from Marino up to Donneycarney be about right for anyone familiar with it ? I should add I am mathematically challenged :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

I could be wrong but I don't think they have pacers for the Longford marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    I need to find a long hill close to home of approx 6%. Long enough to allow for about 90 seconds of running. Anyone know how I go about calculating this without fancy gadgets. Or would the Malahide Road from Marino up to Donneycarney be about right for anyone familiar with it ? I should add I am mathematically challenged :o

Haven't a clue of gradient and I run it the whole time but I'd say that's your best bet or Ballymum road too on the far side of the loop. I ran Marino to Donneycarney on Sat and Garmin has it as 13m to 29m if that helps?

aquinn wrote: »
    Haven't a clue of gradient and I run it the whole time but I'd say that's your best bet or Ballymum road too on the far side of the loop. I ran Marino to Donneycarney on Sat and Garmin has it as 13m to 29m if that helps?

Thanks! Do you know how long that stretch is by any chance. Think I need to divide the difference in elevation by the distance to get the % grade but not sure.

I could be wrong but I don't think they have pacers for the Longford marathon

They had them for the first time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Thanks! Do you know how long that stretch is by any chance. Think I need to divide the difference in elevation by the distance to get the % grade but not sure.

Half a mile I think, yes close. From Griffith Ave to Collins it has it as 0.56.

http://www.geodistance.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I think(?) you need the distance in meters to match aquins meter gradient too, map my run might help with distance?

• Advertisement

Is that the stretch up to Collins Rd? If so it was the start of the BHAA 5k a few weeks ago, it wouldn't be close to 6% in my estimation. 6% would be fairly steep, it seemed more like 1 or 2% to me (could be wrong).....
    You can map out a route on map my run and I am pretty sure it will show you the elevation gradient in %.

Advertisement