Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

menoscemo wrote: »
    Is that the stretch up to Collins Rd? If so it was the start of the BHAA 5k a few weeks ago, it wouldn't be close to 6% in my estimation. 6% would be fairly steep, it seemed more like 1 or 2% to me (could be wrong).....

That's the one. I had no idea what 6% might look like and my clunky maths put it at around 3% so I clearly need to find something twice as steep :eek:
    You can map out a route on map my run and I am pretty sure it will show you the elevation gradient in %.

Cheers, I didn't know that. It seems to give the elevation gradient % by section rather than an overall grade but I'll mess around with it and figure it out.

Thanks for the help all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Bungy Girl wrote: »

Cheers, I didn't know that. It seems to give the elevation gradient % by section rather than an overall grade but I'll mess around with it and figure it out.

Thanks for the help all.

Play around and map out small sections.
    For a 90 second repeat you only need about 400m so a 24 metre rise over 400m would give you 6%

Play around and map out small sections.
    For a 90 second repeat you only need about 400m so a 24 metre rise over 400m would give you 6%

Oh that's very clever.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

Firstly, it's an expensive training run, so you'd want to make sure that you're getting your moneys-worth. For me, that would equate to running the half at marathon pace, rather than running the full at easy pace (which you can do anywhere anytime). But if you feel like you need the endurance benefit of running the full distance, are well disciplined, and have loads of money to burn, then no great harm.

I've run marathons (and longer) quite a bit as training runs, and the second factor is to make sure that you allow suitable recovery time, before you try anything challenging. My one and only significant injury came from pacing a buddy through his first marathon and then attempting a speed-work session 4 days later. Those extra 4 miles may not sound like much, but it's usually those final 4 miles that hurt the most!

Finally, don't get lost! Ran a training marathon once, and a missing marshal meant that the first handful of runners missed a turn and ended up running 30-32 miles. Had some regrets after that one.. <grumble, grumble>.

The money side of it is grand as my brother bet me €100 I couldn't complete the marathon distance in one run this month. Registration, petrol, pre and post meal sorted!

Hopefully the 4 extra miles will be OK and I won't be inflicting too much pain on myself....the only way to answer this is to actually do it. Whilst training for Dublin is going very well I am viewing it as training for a long term goal for 2016 so it will be a learning experience regardless.

There is no worry of me being in the first handful of people for this!

Cheers all for advice. Will report back if I decide to do it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks! Do you know how long that stretch is by any chance. Think I need to divide the difference in elevation by the distance to get the % grade but not sure.

Create a route on strava and it will tell you the distance and the elevation gain. You can also get the gradient % by running your mouse over the elevation graph.

It will even give you an estimate of how long it will take to run based off your average pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

That's the one. I had no idea what 6% might look like and my clunky maths put it at around 3% so I clearly need to find something twice as steep :eek:

I ran some of that today, there was a 80 foot climb between Griffith Ave. and Collins Ave, which looks like it's somewhere slightly above above 2.5%... according to my dodgy Nike+ app.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Bungy Girl wrote:
    I need to find a long hill close to home of approx 6%. Long enough to allow for about 90 seconds of running. Anyone know how I go about calculating this without fancy gadgets. Or would the Malahide Road from Marino up to Donneycarney be about right for anyone familiar with it ? I should add I am mathematically challenged

You could try the st lawrence road clontarf, It's one of the roads from the coast up to the Howth Road. No idea what % it is but I often do some repeats on that road if I fancy mixing it up.

Singer wrote: »
    I ran some of that today, there was a 80 foot climb between Griffith Ave. and Collins Ave, which looks like it's somewhere slightly above above 2.5%... according to my dodgy Nike+ app.
    Dub13 wrote: »
    You could try the st lawrence road clontarf, It's one of the roads from the coast up to the Howth Road. No idea what % it is but I often do some repeats on that road if I fancy mixing it up.

Thanks guys, both good hills, know them well :D. The 5K programme I'm looking at following calls for a 6% grade hill which apparently is pretty steep :eek:. I'll measure a few locally (Calderwood Road, maybe ?) otherwise might have to look further afield for 'the one'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Thanks guys, both good hills, know them well :D. The 5K programme I'm looking at following calls for a 6% grade hill which apparently is pretty steep :eek:. I'll measure a few locally (Calderwood Road, maybe ?) otherwise might have to look further afield for 'the one'

there's a steep enough hill heading back into town, from memory, I turn left at the end of East Wall Road and its that stretch from there to Jennings Funeral Home, there's a fairly steep bit up to Ossary Road but not sure of %, might be worth a look on map my run... or, what about the stretch up to the car park at Howth Summit :)

Firedance wrote: »
    or, what about the stretch up to the car park at Howth Summit :)

That's about 60% :eek:

I'll check out the East Wall one though, ta :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Shakakan

this part of the Phoenix Park has what you're looking for:)

Shakakan wrote: »
    this part of the Phoenix Park has what you're looking for:)
    I was afraid of that. So that's what 6% looks like :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I was afraid of that. So that's what 6% looks like :eek:

Glandore Rd from Griffith ave might do it or the road up into Charlemont... Not sure if either will be long enough.

annapr wrote: »
    Glandore Rd from Griffith ave might do it or the road up into Charlemont... Not sure if either will be long enough.

Thanks Anna, will investigate. Need up to 400m as it's 'long hills' as opposed to sprints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

If all else fails could you use a dreadmill treadmill at your gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Thanks Anna, will investigate. Need up to 400m as it's 'long hills' as opposed to sprints.

From Griffith Ave and up Glandore Road to the Pilot Pub is an excellent choice or you can run into and up through Charlemont to the first Green.

I also use Mobhi Road from the Tolka River to Home Farm Road. Its 400m and there are no roads to cross with a wide pavement.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

Any recommendations for hip/glute stretches? Feeling a little tightness lately

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Crucifix stretch? I find it good.
    1263204617591-ni77nopsgj18-960-540.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

TheBazman wrote: »
    Crucifix stretch? I find it good.
    1263204617591-ni77nopsgj18-960-540.jpg

That's how I wake up after a night out

denis b wrote: »
    From Griffith Ave and up Glandore Road to the Pilot Pub is an excellent choice or you can run into and up through Charlemont to the first Green.

I also use Mobhi Road from the Tolka River to Home Farm Road. Its 400m and there are no roads to cross with a wide pavement.

Great suggestions. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

MarkY91 wrote: »
    That's how I wake up after a night out

I've done that, but in a ditch...missing a shoe, and any shred of human dignity...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Been using the crucifix stretch a lot for the hip. Any one recommend any that specifically target the TFL more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Been using the crucifix stretch a lot for the hip. Any one recommend any that specifically target the TFL more?

I''ve found this stretch brilliant, haven't had any TFL or IT bans problems since I started using it. Don't mind the bad language, this is the best stretch I've found.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sS7cYp4Z2kk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I'll be trying this later legs are really feeling it after the parkrun today.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

I'll be trying this later legs are really feeling it after the parkrun today.

I'll be giving them a shot later too. Well let ye know how I get on. I probably need to start doing some general strengthening pilates type things again also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I'm following a Pfitzinger and Latter half marathon plan and am just going in to week 8. Saturday calls for my first tune up race. The plan says 8-10km race or 16 km (10mile) run. I'm signed up for the Frank Duffy 10 mile. So should I race it, treat it as a training run, or combine both by doing some fast and some easy? Also, the plan has 16km endurance for the Sunday. I'm guessing this is supposed to be done on tired legs, but if I race the full 10 miles on the Saturday should I reduce the distance on the Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

chickey2 wrote: »
    I'm following a Pfitzinger and Latter half marathon plan and am just going in to week 8. Saturday calls for my first tune up race. The plan says 8-10km race or 16 km (10mile) run. I'm signed up for the Frank Duffy 10 mile. So should I race it, treat it as a training run, or combine both by doing some fast and some easy? Also, the plan has 16km endurance for the Sunday. I'm guessing this is supposed to be done on tired legs, but if I race the full 10 miles on the Saturday should I reduce the distance on the Sunday?

Why not run the first 6k easy and race the last ten?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

chickey2 wrote: »

Hi chickey. As you know I'm following same plan but I'm going to race the 10-miler, followed by a short recovery run on the Sun. Also means changing some of the planned sessions in the lead up and during next week (will probably ditch the week 9 vo2max session eg and keep all the mileage easy before jumping back into the plan proper in week 10). Not ideal but was always my intention to work this plan around the race series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Thanks clearliers and Murph. Think I'll run easy for 6k and race the 10. Doing the maths I could still get a pb! The half is my main goal so I'm going to stick to the plan. The next tune up race is the lakes 10k so I'll race that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I did the paced mile in santry the other night . I surprised myself with my time. Ive been running two years and to date I've just concentrated on building a good base. Now I want to take my running up a level and train at the right paces for maximum improvement. Can anyone recommend a site that might help me determine paces?

Advertisement