Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

The Muppet wrote: »
    I did the paced mile in santry the other night . I surprised myself with my time. Ive been running two years and to date I've just concentrated on building a good base. Now I want to take my running up a level and train at the right paces for maximum improvement. Can anyone recommend a site that might help me determine paces?

Hi TheMuppet. Well done on the improvement! Sounds like a great night, wish I'd gone now even if only to spectate.

My coach uses our most recent race result alongside Jack Daniels vdot table to assess training paces. He uses the old school hard copy but you should find something here.

Have you thought about joining a club? Nothing like running in a group to bring you on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Thanks for the links dubgal I will look at those. I m the wrong side of 50 so probably too old and slow to join a club . I am definitely going to do some park runs though as the paced mile was the first time I've ran in a group since I was a kid and I really enjoyed it. It was a great night

I am closely following your marathon thread this year with the intention of learning from it. I didn't feel I had the base to run a marathon this year but am hopeful for next all going well .

Thanks again for the advice I'm sure I spe0ak for all the novices here when I say the help and advice from more seasoned runners on this forum is greatly appreciated .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks for the links dubgal I will look at those. I m the wrong side of 50 so probably too old and slow to join a club.
    One of the best runners in our club would consider you a youngster. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I m the wrong side of 50 so probably too old and slow to join a club .

In the nicest possible way, that's absolute rubbish. There's no such thing as being too old, nor too slow for that matter. I joined a club in my mid-forties, and I'm 50+ now. We have a strong and vibrant group of 40+ athletes, like many clubs. I also have won three team medals at both county and national levels, a notion which I would have scoffed at initially. Any club will be delighted to have you join. Just out of interest, what did you run for the mile?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Another 50+ here who only joined a club last year. As Dave says, you'll be very welcome at any club.

• Advertisement

davedanon wrote: »
    In the nicest possible way, that's absolute rubbish. There's no such thing as being too old, nor too slow for that matter. I joined a club in my mid-forties, and I'm 50+ now. We have a strong and vibrant group of 40+ athletes, like many clubs. I also have won three team medals at both county and national levels, a notion which I would have scoffed at initially. Any club will be delighted to have you join. Just out of interest, what did you run for the mile?

Consider me chastised.

Fair play on your achievements, impressive.

My time was 7.22 for the mile. I started running 2.5 years ago with C25k from a zero fitness level. have fallen off the wagon a few times and missed a few months both times around xmas, im determined not to let that happen this year. I run about 30 miles a week (5 runs) with one long run from 9 to half marathon distance usually at a comfortable pace 10.45 to 11 min miles which is why the 7.22 surprised me so much. I also do a hill sprint session one day a week.

I'm on the boards strava group.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Consider me chastised.

My time was 7.22 for the mile. I started running 2.5 years ago with C25k from a zero fitness level. have fallen off the wagon a few times and missed a few months both times around xmas, im determined not to let that happen this year. I run about 30 miles a week (5 runs) with one long run from 9 to half marathon distance usually at a comfortable pace 10.45 to 11 min miles which is why the 7.22 surprised me so much. I also do a hill sprint session one day a week.

I'm on the boards strava group.

How do I join the boards strava group? Only got strava the other day..

I wasn't trying to brag. My point was that I would have laughed at anyone who had suggested such a thing was possible. Also I'm not even close to being the best 50+ athlete in the club.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    How do I join the boards strava group? Only got strava the other day..

This is the one I joined some impressive runners on there

https://www.strava.com/clubs/boards-ac

Makes sence..u never checked the Web version. Only the app. I'll join 50 groups now lol

• Advertisement

I wasn't trying to brag. My point was that I would have laughed at anyone who had suggested such a thing was possible. Also I'm not even close to being the best 50+ athlete in the club.

No I got that, I am genuinly impressed. I'm the same, three years ago i would have laughed at the prospect of me running at all.

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hi TheMuppet. Well done on the improvement! Sounds like a great night, wish I'd gone now even if only to spectate.

My coach uses our most recent race result alongside Jack Daniels vdot table to assess training paces. He uses the old school hard copy but you should find something here.

Have you thought about joining a club? Nothing like running in a group to bring you on too.

Thanks again, I have those times, interestingly the easy runs are about the pace i've been running all my runs at.

Some run close to 50 miles a week...impressive runners indeed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

:pac:
    there's quite a few around here who would call 50 miles a down week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Pretty sure you are looking at 'this week' there (i.e. Monday to Thursday)...

menoscemo wrote: »
    Pretty sure you are looking at 'this week' there (i.e. Monday to Thursday)...

Indeed . they still have 4 days to double their milage if they have not done their thursday run/s yet.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

After a 10km race how long do you do your cool down runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

6781 wrote: »

As per all sessions I do 2 Miles WU and 1 mile Cool/Down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

6781 wrote: »

Depends if they have beer (no c/d) or tea (as long as you like) for afters.

On a slightly more serious note, it depends a bit if it's a real target race and you're taking a break after it or if it slots into a major week of training with serious sessions a couple of days later. If it's the latter you'll be looking to cool down properly, with 2k or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

I'm pondering running a half marathon at PMP three weeks before the marathon (half on 6 Sept before Berlin on 27th) - is this too near the marathon to be advisable?

• Advertisement

I'm pondering running a half marathon at PMP three weeks before the marathon (half on 6 Sept before Berlin on 27th) - is this too near the marathon to be advisable?

Should be ideal, I think, as long as it's genuinely at PMP and not raced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Should be ideal, I think, as long as it's genuinely at PMP and not raced.

+1 especially if you can get 5 or 6 miles in before and 1 or 2 after you'll have a 20+ miler with 13@PMP which is ideal heading into taper IMO.
    As Dave says though the key would be to leave the ego at home and run it exactly at PMP and no faster....

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Thanks lads. They have pacers at this half so the plan would be to run with them to make sure i'd stick to marathon pace and no faster

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Running mad

I'd like to knock a bit of time off my 5km and 10km pbs. I've raced 3 5ks in the last 3 months. The 1st was on a tough enough course in 23 mins. The next 2 were on flat courses and I did them in
    22:30. I'm trying to get below 21 mins. I seem to be well on target up to 2 miles then and I just can't keep up the pace.

I haven't specifically trained for these races, I'm training for the Charleville half at the moment so I would be doing 25-30 miles a week. Normally 4-5 days a week. 2-3 easy runs, 1 tempo/ interval and long run at the weekend. Running the tempo runs at threshold pace so 7:40/mi.

Any specific training people could recommend to bring down my 5 and 10k times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

One of the best runners in our club would consider you a youngster. ;)
    Age Is Irrelevant When It Comes to Fitness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Shakakan

Re: Hal Higdon Half Marathon Novice 2

Hi, first HM coming up at the beginning of October (5 weeks away). Running since January. Following HH (ish) and wondering:
    - how important is cross training? I've been lax for various reasons but planning to pick it up for the last few weeks (I do cycle 30 mins medium hard each day commuting though).
    - the LSR's build up to 19K the week before the race. Is that enough? 3k seems like a bit of a jump in one week. I guess the 19k LSR will take me about 125 mins, while I'm hoping for a 125 minute HM. My longest LSR to date has been 13.5k (two weekends ago, followed by 11.5k last weekend). For the next few weeks the LSRs will be 10k (race, hoping for 55mins), 14.5k, 16, 17.5, 19k then the HM the week after. Not sure if I should increase the LSRs by a mile just to make the last increment a bit less...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

I'm going to be in Galway city in a few weeks. I've a 18km scheduled for when I'm there. I don't know the city very well. So if someone could advise me on a route I'd appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

I'd like to knock a bit of time off my 5km and 10km pbs. I've raced 3 5ks in the last 3 months. The 1st was on a tough enough course in 23 mins. The next 2 were on flat courses and I did them in
    22:30. I'm trying to get below 21 mins. I seem to be well on target up to 2 miles then and I just can't keep up the pace.

I haven't specifically trained for these races, I'm training for the Charleville half at the moment so I would be doing 25-30 miles a week. Normally 4-5 days a week. 2-3 easy runs, 1 tempo/ interval and long run at the weekend. Running the tempo runs at threshold pace so 7:40/mi.

Any specific training people could recommend to bring down my 5 and 10k times.

Do a track 5k and you'll pick up 30s for free, or rathfarnham, a net downhill course.

Based on your paces fit in these 3 sessions in a week:

Do a 5x1km session in 4m18s per km with 80 seconds recovery. week on week reduce this to 60s, or 6*800 with 60s recovery at the same pace - 3m24s - maybe alternate these to

Do 10*200m (start with 6, build to 10) fast with recovery the same time as the run, eg. 40s fast run, 40s recovery.

do a 3-5k tempo run at 4m48s per km, or 2*2km at that pace as a change. EG a parkrun in 23.50-24.00.

if a 10k is on the horizon, do a tempo - say 4-5 miles at your 10 mile pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

I can 100% say that indoor rowing is the one exercise, when you cant run that will keep your aerobic endurance intact

Advertisement