Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Running jacket yay or nay? Just found a really nice nike one, wind & water resistant. Is lined and a slim fit. Would i use it during winter or are long sleeve tops better for winter? Seeking advice before i fork out €70 (on sale!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

mel.b wrote: »
    Running jacket yay or nay? Just found a really nice nike one, wind & water resistant. Is lined and a slim fit. Would i use it during winter or are long sleeve tops better for winter? Seeking advice before i fork out €70 (on sale!)

Have always found Adidas clothing to be of much better quality for running gear (including tops)

Start Fitness actually have a few decent ones on sale .or cheaper than this at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Have always found Adidas clothing to be of much better quality for running gear (including tops)

Start Fitness actually have a few decent ones on sale .or cheaper than this at the moment

Thanks. However in Germany atm & big sports store has a sale, but no addias in my size. Do people wear running jackets though or will it be confined to the back of the wardrobe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

mel.b wrote: »
    Thanks. However in Germany atm & big sports store has a sale, but no addias in my size. Do people wear running jackets though or will it be confined to the back of the wardrobe?

In the winter they and long sleeves are invaluable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Bought a DHB jacket last year and found it great, never really got cold enough to warrant anything more than the jacket and a T-shirt under it.

I use it for cycling too, though it may need a base layer in winter for cycling.

It's not water proof, but mostly not an issue, I find the water proof ones too heavy or not really breathable.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-zelos-windproof-run-jacket-aw14/?sku=5360573092

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Hooows things.

Anyone here use Yoga/Pilates in an attempt to hold off any niggles they have? If so, how do you find it?

My flexibility is poor and I always seem to have some sort of tendinitis bothering me. My running has really gone downhill this year because of the niggles.

People keep suggesting yoga to sort myself out....any truth to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Interested to get some opinions on settling on a final target for a marathon.
    More specifically I'm talking about deciding on your 'A' target a couple of weeks out from the race. The real training has been done and you have a good gauge of where you're at.

My goal for Berlin was always sub 3:10. After 16 weeks of P&D and a few tune-ups most calculators have my at 3:12 or so (PB 3:15)

Question is- do most people over reach slightly or set targets according to how training has gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Interesting piece. You grow out of that sort of silly competition fairly quickly, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Hooows things.

Anyone here use Yoga/Pilates in an attempt to hold off any niggles they have? If so, how do you find it?

My flexibility is poor and I always seem to have some sort of tendinitis bothering me. My running has really gone downhill this year because of the niggles.

People keep suggesting yoga to sort myself out....any truth to it?

yep - I done Pilates for a good few weeks and followed it up with a specific class for runners that my club run. Lots of stretching and core exercises (bridge / Clams/ planks / single leg raises etc) mixed in with some strength work.
    Haven't missed any training due to injury since Sept '13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

sideswipe wrote: »
    More specifically I'm talking about deciding on your 'A' target a couple of weeks out from the race. The real training has been done and you have a good gauge of where you're at.

My goal for Berlin was always sub 3:10. After 16 weeks of P&D and a few tune-ups most calculators have my at 3:12 or so (PB 3:15)

Question is- do most people over reach slightly or set targets according to how training has gone.

I am somewhat in the same predicament as you. The problem I have with marathons is you put so much into them and an aggressive target can end in tears with a DNF or a result below your capabilities and a soft target can leave you wondering if you left it all out there and if you get the most out of your training.

My goal for DCM 2015 will be somewhere between 3.10-3.15. The Mcmillan calculator says a 3.05 would be achievable based on my most recent half but I feel that this is beyond my current abilities. Only If my next 6 weeks of training go to plan and the weather plays ball on the day will I target 3.10.

From anecdotal evidence I have found that many people find that these type of calculators/predictions are more accurate up until the half marathon distance and anything further than that the results v's predicted time can differ significantly. From my very limited knowledge it seems that more senior runners and runners with a good few marathons under their belts achieve results that are closest to the calculators. I only have only done one marathon and I am relatively young as marathon runners go so to answer your question I will be targeting an aggressive time based on what I think my current abilities are and a slightly soft target based on the race calculators.

I would be interested in how others approach this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

From anecdotal evidence I have found that many people find that these type of calculators/predictions are more accurate up until the half marathon distance and anything further than that the results v's predicted time can differ significantly. From my very limited knowledge it seems that more senior runners and runners with a good few marathons under their belts achieve results that are closest to the calculators. I only have only done one marathon and I am relatively young as marathon runners go so to answer your question I will be targeting an aggressive time based on what I think my current abilities are and a slightly soft target based on the race calculators.

I would be interested in how others approach this?

I have run a fair few marathons (and I'm rather old :) ) but I still find it impossible to hit the "calculated" time. Like you said, the predictions are usually very accurate up to the half marathon distance but my marathon time is always a minimum of 3 minutes (usually more like 5) slower than predicted.

That seems to be the case for quite a few runners. I do, however, know some runners who are indeed able to hit their predicted marathon times. They are probably in the minority but they do exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I think you should compare to your own previous experience. What were the calculators saying when you ran 3:15? Based on what distance of races? What distances were your tune up races this time?

Personally at the end of marathon training my 5-10k times have tended to be totally woeful and predict below what I can perform on the day. A 10m or HM 4-6 weeks out is a better predictor but you should also take into account conditions on the day, whether you were sufficiently tapered etc. I'd put more stock in the actual marathon specific sessions, whether you could hit MP with ease etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

I am doing the Dublin Half this weekend and I am trying to figure out what would be a more beneficial session in advance of the DCM. Race it or do 5mile warm up followed by the half at PMP? I have more or less decided on doing the latter as it would take me a week-10 days to recover from a half marathon at max effort.

How are other people doing the Dublin Marathon approaching the half?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Plodman

Most online calculators use the same generic formula to predict finish times from a recent race time & distance that you input. Some will even allow you to input two times & distances which then allows the calculator to predict how your performance degrades over distance.

I created the attached personalised predictor by adding to something I previously found online. If you plot your PBs over as many distances as you like (add lines as I have only shown 4 distances 5K, 10K, 10M & HM) the spreadsheet calculates a personalised performance degradation coefficient.

Enter a recent race time and the calculator uses the previously calculated degradation coefficient to suggest times for other distances. I find this to be pretty accurate once your current racing ability is similar to previous performances. In other words your degradation coefficient will only be accurate over longer distances if you have maintained your level of training.

If you train consistently you should not "explode" unless your initial pace was way too ambitious. Use the attached to suggest a time and tailor it to how you run best, i.e positive/negative splits, race day conditions etc.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

I am doing the Dublin Half this weekend and I am trying to figure out what would be a more beneficial session in advance of the DCM. Race it or do 5mile warm up followed by the half at PMP? I have more or less decided on doing the latter as it would take me a week-10 days to recover from a half marathon at max effort.

How are other people doing the Dublin Marathon approaching the half?

Very similar plan - 4 or 5 miles warmup, and the half at MP. I don't think I have anything to gain by "racing" the half. I will have not tapered. My time would not be a true reflection of my ability over the distance. And the added risk of picking up a niggle/injury. DCM is the only goal race, for me at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

yep - I done Pilates for a good few weeks and followed it up with a specific class for runners that my club run. Lots of stretching and core exercises (bridge / Clams/ planks / single leg raises etc) mixed in with some strength work.
    Haven't missed any training due to injury since Sept '13.

Cheers man. Il start Googling so and see what's around. It's interesting to see that there are runner specific classes. Sounds great!

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

menoscemo wrote: »
    I think you should compare to your own previous experience. What were the calculators saying when you ran 3:15? Based on what distance of races? What distances were your tune up races this time?

Personally at the end of marathon training my 5-10k times have tended to be totally woeful and predict below what I can perform on the day. A 10m or HM 4-6 weeks out is a better predictor but you should also take into account conditions on the day, whether you were sufficiently tapered etc. I'd put more stock in the actual marathon specific sessions, whether you could hit MP with ease etc.

Cheers Meno, I went back and looked at what the predictors would have said previous to my pb. They had 2-3 mins slower so I'm with you on the 5-10k's on marathon training. Training has gone well, I had some good MP long runs and also did a session of Yasso 800's a couple of weeks back, they had me at 3:06 average rep so I think if the weather and taper are right I'll give the original sub 3:10 goal a lash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Bit of an embarassing one, but here goes.

Runners trots.
    I get them when I'm really pushing it, during sprints/intervals generally. Today for example, I had eaten lunch at 13:30, a yogurt and some nuts at 4pm, and ran at 19:00ish. 10 min warm-up followed by 6 x 2 min, so I wasn't exactly flat out for the two minutes, just comfortably hard.
    By the 3rd one I had to pull the speed back a bit, and keep the edge off until the finish.

Any words of wisdom?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

libelula wrote: »

Runners trots.
    I get them when I'm really pushing it, during sprints/intervals generally. Today for example, I had eaten lunch at 13:30, a yogurt and some nuts at 4pm, and ran at 19:00ish. 10 min warm-up followed by 6 x 2 min, so I wasn't exactly flat out for the two minutes, just comfortably hard.
    By the 3rd one I had to pull the speed back a bit, and keep the edge off until the finish.

Any words of wisdom?

It's a matter of trial and error with your food to find what works.
    I'd start with giving up the nuts.

• Advertisement

dna_leri wrote: »
    It's a matter of trial and error with your food to find what works.
    I'd start with giving up the nuts.

Interesting...I'd never have suspected them. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Interesting...I'd never have suspected them. Thanks

Raw monkey nuts are like a laxative to me.:o

Other types are grand.

It's funny. I'm basically addicted to salted roasted peanuts, but raw monkey nuts are totally tasteless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Runners trots.

Any words of wisdom?

What's your general diet like? Lots of vegetables and fibre?

Clearlier wrote: »
    What's your general diet like? Lots of vegetables and fibre?

Aye, maybe an excessive amount of fruit and berries the last while if I'm honest as a replacement for crisps and chocolate.
    The past while it's been near perfect, eggs , ryvita and almond butter for breakfast, soup and bread for lunch, and a normal meat and two veg dinner. Snacks are fruit, yoghurt, nuts.

Runners' trots are bad, but trotters' runs are arguably worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

I ran the half yesterday and my legs are at me today, is a recovery run worthwhile? If not any tips for general recovery?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

I ran the half yesterday and my legs are at me today, is a recovery run worthwhile? If not any tips for general recovery?

Very slow and very short. You're legs should feel better at the end. Usual guidelines suggest they shouldn't last longer than 30 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

dintbo wrote: »
    Very slow and very short. You're legs should feel better at the end. Usual guidelines suggest they shouldn't last longer than 30 mins

Many thanks man.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

Runners trots.

Any words of wisdom?
    Nuts a big no no for me. Very hard to digest and can cause bloating and explosiveness and I'm not talking speed. Try simple carbs. Half a bagel or slice brown bread with bit of jam works for me.

Advertisement