Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Itziger wrote: »
    What do you do when you have inexplicably bad days? Do you just put it behind you?

Yesterday, after two good recent workouts, I went for an easy, even 'recovery' run that was supposed to be 12 or 14k. After 6 I stopped and walked a bit and then jogged home the remaining kilometre. I was wiped out, feeling faint almost. Beforehand and this morning, I feel fine. I don't understand how I felt that heavy and listless. I do think I was right to bail out on the run though, it was really getting me nowhere.

I'll see how the next few days go before panicking.

Get one of those every few months and usually on an easy day for whatever reason. I've turned back, I've changed to a run 1 mile stop and stretch until I make it home and sometimes when I increase the pace a little I feel better (unexplainable), usually back to normal the next day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Itziger wrote: »
    What do you do when you have inexplicably bad days? Do you just put it behind you?

Yesterday, after two good recent workouts, I went for an easy, even 'recovery' run that was supposed to be 12 or 14k. After 6 I stopped and walked a bit and then jogged home the remaining kilometre. I was wiped out, feeling faint almost. Beforehand and this morning, I feel fine. I don't understand how I felt that heavy and listless. I do think I was right to bail out on the run though, it was really getting me nowhere.

I'll see how the next few days go before panicking.

I used to get these very occasionaly when marathon training. Always evening runs, usually after eating and I would come over completely weak and the cold sweats would come on. Like KC, I'd work through it and would usually feel pretty much OK by the time I got home.

Hasn't happened since I switched disciplines and I also haven't been sick, no colds, no sniffles, no sore throats no nothing since I switched to the mile.

Moral of the story: Four laps of the track gives the doctor the sack :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Well, just a little update. Did an untimed easy 9k spin in the woods there and it went a helluva lot better than yesterday. Not exactly bouncing off the surface but didn't feel heavy legged and soooo tired.

As for Kiely's point, I get sick so rarely man I feel blessed. When I put in a request for a day off work to fly to New York for the upcoming 1x26 mile event the bloke in HR said he was shocked to see my name. But you never know, I might one day be tempted to try the short stuff........... (Must check Lux 60+ mile 'record')

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

Just wondering.. Aldi have running gear on Thursday, has anyone ever ran in they're shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Enduro

Just wondering.. Aldi have running gear on Thursday, has anyone ever ran in they're shoes?

I went to the New York 6-day race last year and brought about 5 pairs of shoes with me to the race. They were a range of brands, and costs (Asics, Hoka, NB, Aldi etc). In the first day or two I pretty much rotated through all of them as the race evolved. In the end the best pair turned out to be the 20 Euro Aldi pair, which I ran in all the way through to the end of the race (Which I literally won by miles).

Shoes are an individual thing. The best way to work out if they're going to suit you is to try them out. At the cost of the Aldi shoes its a low risk test!

I've also done tons and tons of training in their equally cheap minimalist shoes. I really don't get why people pay big money of shoes which are "minimalist"... the cost should match the description there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

2 weeks out from Dublin and I've suddenly developed a very sore throat and my head feels a bit stuffed up. So - my plan is to skip today's run and see how things go in the morning. The hard work is done right? A couple of extra days off now won't hurt my goal, will it? I trained pretty much consistently until now - no missed workouts, hitting my target paces easily etc., long runs boxed off. Just tell me its all ok!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

2 weeks out from Dublin and I've suddenly developed a very sore throat and my head feels a bit stuffed up. So - my plan is to skip today's run and see how things go in the morning. The hard work is done right? A couple of extra days off now won't hurt my goal, will it? I trained pretty much consistently until now - no missed workouts, hitting my target paces easily etc., long runs boxed off. Just tell me its all ok!!!

It's all OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Recover well for the next few days. Sleep heaps, eat well, and stay hydrated, and chill the beans as much as possible. And dont try to make up lost runs. You'll be graaaand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

When do you know you're ready to return to running after shin splints? Bit of background, I'm a decent 5km runner ( mid to high 16's), got a bad medial shin splint 5 weeks ago running road workouts in worn out shoes (stupid i know). Couldn't walk without pain at the time, went to the physio and got massaged, kinesio tape, etc. Since then I've been biking, rowing, & on the elliptical trying to maintain some sort of fitness, along with calf raises, heel drops, squats, to try and strengthen that area.
    Last week I went back to the physio, and he was happy with my progress, and suggested walking/jogging intervals on grass when I felt I'm ready to return. I'm now able to skip, kick my arse with my heels, & walk at any pace pain free, but I'm afraid to that if I start I'll end up back at square one. It's very frustrating because I have no previous history of injuries to this extent. It feels like all the good progress I was making is gone down the drain.
    How long did it take any of you at a similar level to recover after shin splints? How did you approach returning to normal training? And should I start jogging again? Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Is their a certain mileage 1 could run to allow them to eat whatever they wanted and to still lose weight?
    I Am Training for a Marathon. So Why Am I Getting Fat?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Hey guys and girls. Feel a bit strange asking this coming up to the marathon and the monster distances that are being posted up in this forum. So I was (relatively) fit, played football twice a week and went to the gym a bit and was into the cycling. However, work took over and I started eating badly and didn't have time for anything else. Now work is starting to ease up a bit and I should have a bit of free time. I played football again on Monday and felt like vomiting for most of it I was so unfit. This disgusts me a bit. I want to generally up my fitness so thought I'd give the running a go. There's a nice little loop near me that's 2.5 km. Is this a reasonable enough distance to start off at? I'm not really interested in running a marathon or anything but if I take to it I wouldn't be against the idea. Any tips or anything for a newbie? Just for clarity I am not overweight in the slightest and just want to not feel **** after running around for 10 minutes. Thanks all

DK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Probably the best way to get started in running is by following a couch25k program like this one. If you think you're reasonably fit already jump in a few weeks into the program and see what that feels like.

Once you can cover 5k reasonably comfortably, which will take much less time than you think, run a parkrun or two and take it from there.
    Just for clarity I am not overweight in the slightest and just want to not feel **** after running around for 10 minutes. DK

I have to warn you, though. That was me 11 years ago, I only started running so that I would be able to hold my own when playing 5-a-side football with my mates. I think it's fair to say that things worked out differently than planned initially :) (i.e. I'm no longer playing footie. It proved too much of a distraction from my running training)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Hey guys and girls. Feel a bit strange asking this coming up to the marathon and the monster distances that are being posted up in this forum. So I was (relatively) fit, played football twice a week and went to the gym a bit and was into the cycling. However, work took over and I started eating badly and didn't have time for anything else. Now work is starting to ease up a bit and I should have a bit of free time. I played football again on Monday and felt like vomiting for most of it I was so unfit. This disgusts me a bit. I want to generally up my fitness so thought I'd give the running a go. There's a nice little loop near me that's 2.5 km. Is this a reasonable enough distance to start off at? I'm not really interested in running a marathon or anything but if I take to it I wouldn't be against the idea. Any tips or anything for a newbie? Just for clarity I am not overweight in the slightest and just want to not feel **** after running around for 10 minutes. Thanks all

DK

Yes grand to start with just build up to say three runs a week if you want to get a good running base , you have fitness from other sports , plenty of v good current runners move into running in their thirties From football etc ,
    Would just get say 20 to 30 mins in at a time for the first while and see how you like it after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I have to warn you, though. That was me 11 years ago, I only started running so that I would be able to hold my own when playing 5-a-side football with my mates. I think it's fair to say that things worked out differently than planned initially :) (i.e. I'm no longer playing footie. It proved too much of a distraction from my running training)

Ditto. For 20 years all I wanted to do was play ball. But for a broken ankle which eventually ended the 'career', I might still be playing. The last football I played was ironically on a football coaching course, when I tore a quad taking a shot, and put a major dent in my training schedule. Last week someone phoned me up and asked if I'd play a game that night. Never thought the day would come when I'd turn that offer down flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

When do you know you're ready to return to running after shin splints? Bit of background, I'm a decent 5km runner ( mid to high 16's), got a bad medial shin splint 5 weeks ago running road workouts in worn out shoes (stupid i know). Couldn't walk without pain at the time, went to the physio and got massaged, kinesio tape, etc. Since then I've been biking, rowing, & on the elliptical trying to maintain some sort of fitness, along with calf raises, heel drops, squats, to try and strengthen that area.
    Last week I went back to the physio, and he was happy with my progress, and suggested walking/jogging intervals on grass when I felt I'm ready to return. I'm now able to skip, kick my arse with my heels, & walk at any pace pain free, but I'm afraid to that if I start I'll end up back at square one. It's very frustrating because I have no previous history of injuries to this extent. It feels like all the good progress I was making is gone down the drain.
    How long did it take any of you at a similar level to recover after shin splints? How did you approach returning to normal training? And should I start jogging again? Thanks in advance

Saw this and thought of your post. I've always understood that if you have no pain you can run but it took about 15 years for me to learn how to change my gait to get over shin splints so you're better off following your physio's guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Hopefully an easy one. The days are getting shorter and I am finding myself more and more running dark.

Where can I get fluorescent running tops, or armbands, that work so that car driver have a better chance of seeing me?

Thank GM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Hopefully an easy one. The days are getting shorter and I am finding myself more and more running dark.

Where can I get fluorescent running tops, or armbands, that work so that car driver have a better chance of seeing me?

Aldi had a supply of them last Thur, could still be some left lying around maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Thank GM.

You can get loads of free safety stuff like vests and armbands off the RSA and if you want something with a bit more style and comfort, your local bike shop or sports shop will have loads of florescent tops, jackets etc.

I always still prefer to have a headlamp along with the gear just to be a bit safer and actually see where I'm going, can't tell you how many injuries I've picked up from running blind and stepping on or falling over something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Thank GM.

You can get them free from the Road Safety Authority.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057480227

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057063734

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Orders-online/Orders-online/ (The external website they use appears to be down right now :rolleyes:, maybe try later on)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Following on from Greenmachine's post, for running in the dark would people suggest a torch or headlamp and any recommendations for a specific one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I've yet to use it but I got one on groupon last year. Amazon but watch the conversion or price up Argos against running shops maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

mel.b wrote: »
    Following on from Greenmachine's post, for running in the dark would people suggest a torch or headlamp and any recommendations for a specific one?

I bought one in Lidl last year, its rubbish, a friend bought one in 50 degrees north and its fantastic, obviously there's a big price difference and it depends where you live, where I run there are roads with no street lighting and a head torch is vital to see where you're going. You've just reminded me I need to upgrade mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Depends on where you live. I did all my running in Dublin and never needed additional lights. I've now decamped to the sticks and have a new appreciation the well lit, wide boulevards of South County Dublin. I now carry a small torch that I picked up in Tesco- it's light and bright and fits in the rear zip pocket of my shorts if I don't want to carry it.

I also got a baseball cap from Aldi last week with LED's in the front- have to say it's the business, used it a good few times already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I live in the sticks, so during the winter with work and running late, a headtorch is a necessity. I have the old model of this one, it was around the same money and I find it great. Very bright and comfortable to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

pconn062 wrote: »
    I live in the sticks, so during the winter with work and running late, a headtorch is a necessity. I have the old model of this one, it was around the same money and I find it great. Very bright and comfortable to wear.

...and it fits over your tea cosy too. Wow, very impressive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

...and it fits over your tea cosy too. Wow, very impressive :D

Ok, I admit, I spent a few extra quid to get the custom fit. Worth it! #ruralchic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I'm out in the sticks too, so need the lighting. Will drop into Aldi & see if they have any of those hats left and that torch looks like a good investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

previous thread on this here

I have the LED Lenser and it is brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

wrstan wrote: »
    I have the LED Lenser and it is brilliant!

I bought a new Led Lenser specifically for a race and it almost cost me said race.

My €3.99 camping headlamp from Aldi or Lidl that I have used for the previous 3 winters would have been just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I bought a new Led Lenser specifically for a race and it almost cost me said race.

My €3.99 camping headlamp from Aldi or Lidl that I have used for the previous 3 winters would have been just fine.

Me likes. Even a poor fecker like me, can surely weasel up €5.
    €4 even throw a bag of jelly babies in the mix while I am at it. :D

Advertisement