Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Enduro

I bought a new Led Lenser specifically for a race and it almost cost me said race.

My €3.99 camping headlamp from Aldi or Lidl that I have used for the previous 3 winters would have been just fine.

In fairness Thomas, not reading the instructions and not having a clue what mode you had that torch in, it was all self-inflected.

In contrast, I've taken the Led lenser SEO 7R into some of the most arduous running races in Europe and found it to be a top class product that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend (just don't forget to read the manual :)). In fact I would say its the best value for money head-torch I'm aware of, given what you get for the money.

Having said all that, personally I find I only need a head-torch for true off-road running where I need to pick out rocks, sticks or whatever other obstacles might be on the ground. For roads and fireroads I can usually run along fine with no headtorch (Altough I have scared the bejaysus out a few people over the years when they don't see me coming!).

For running on roads in country areas I'd say the most important thing is to be seen. A headtorch will be very useful for that alright. Personally I use one of the 4-red flashing LED armbands that Lidl and Aldi sell in their biking and running specials. Usually about 6 Euro for a pack of 4, which is good value.

Remember, this is Ireland... make sure that anything you buy is sufficently waterproofed (Check that it has an IPX rating and that it is sufficient) This is where the cheap headtorches are likely to let you down. Dead in the first heavy shower (or afterwards as the batteries corrode all the metal contacts).

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I bought a new Led Lenser specifically for a race and it almost cost me said race.

Do tell us more! :P

Seriously my experience has been all good, but I do replace the batteries regularly. The first time I ran with it I was asked if I had a light house on my head! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Enduro wrote: »
    In fairness Thomas, not reading the instructions and not having a clue what mode you had that torch in, it was all self-inflected.

While I can't entirely deny that my problems were self-inflicted, I DID read the manual, it just didn't make too much sense to me. The fact that it was written in awful English did not help. I only figured out how it worked by reading a few online reviews that gradually added up to a full picture of how the thing works.

That's where a very simple headtorch like the Aldi (or Lidl?) one has its advantages: it's so simple that a manual is not necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Enduro

While I can't entirely deny that my problems were self-inflicted, I DID read the manual, it just didn't make too much sense to me. The fact that it was written in awful English did not help. I only figured out how it worked by reading a few online reviews that gradually added up to a full picture of how the thing works.

That's where a very simple headtorch like the Aldi (or Lidl?) one has its advantages: it's so simple that a manual is not necessary.

I should have known that an Austrian would always read the manual :) If anything that torch has too much functionality, which is possibly what makes it more complex than necessary to parse the manual and figure out exactly goes on. Yeah, the cheapos usally are pretty simple to operate (I've got a few aldi headtorches myself), but they tend to be significantly less trustworthy in the long term. I've had quite a few Led Lenser SEOs (5 and 7s), and only had one go dodgy on me (after 2 or 3 years). Managed to loose a few others, which can't be blamed on the torch! But they are definitelty my go-to headtorch at the moment for features and reliability. For the likes of UTMB, TDG, or the spine my main headtorch would be a SEO7 and my back-up headtorch would be a SEO7!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Enduro wrote: »
    I should have known that an Austrian would always read the manual :)If anything that torch has too much functionality, which is possibly what makes it more complex than necessary to parse the manual and figure out exactly goes on. Yeah, the cheapos usally are pretty simple to operate (I've got a few aldi headtorches myself), but they tend to be significantly less trustworthy in the long term. I've had quite a few Led Lenser SEOs (5 and 7s), and only had one go dodgy on me (after 2 or 3 years). Managed to loose a few others, which can't be blamed on the torch! But they are definitelty my go-to headtorch at the moment for features and reliability. For the likes of UTMB, TDG, or the spine my main headtorch would be a SEO7 and my back-up headtorch would be a SEO7!

ok, I have to ask, what other functionality could a torch have apart from the obvious :)

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    ok, I have to ask, what other functionality could a torch have apart from the obvious :)

light on/off, red light on/off, different brightness settings, lock on/off, and (and that's the one that almost cost me) a different mode where it automatically adapts its brightness depending on the surroundings.

All operated with one single button!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Not being Austrian :cool: I took the Irish approach to using this torch - I threw away the manual and just kept pressing the single button until it did what I wanted it to :p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

wrstan wrote: »
    Not being Austrian :cool: I took the Irish approach to using this torch - I threw away the manual and just kept pressing the single button until it did what I wanted it to :p:p:p

I didn't want to say but yeah, it doesn't sound overly complicated :D

wrstan wrote: »
    Firedance wrote: »
    I didn't want to say but yeah, it doesn't sound overly complicated :D

Until you realise that the mode the lamp happens to be in eats through the battery much faster than anticipated and you're left in total darkness in the middle of Greece in the middle of the night and you're about to climb a mountain that's higher than Carrantuohill and it's about to start raining ... :eek:

Admittedly, it doesn't help that you forgot to take the spare batteries out of your drop bag but things like that happen after 14 hours of nonstop running ( <- alright, alright, I'm an idiot) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

One rule about going long with a head torch, bring a backup head torch !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

I had my first bad run today. :( Week 6 of Couch to 5K - Meant to hit 6 reps of 1 minute walking and 5 minutes jogging. As soon as I started running, I knew something was up. I just couldn't catch my breath right at all. Had to take longer than a minute walking on my second rep and only ended up doing 4.

If it was the first day of this set I could understand, but I managed it fine on Monday, albeit it was tough going. How do you deal with a bad run day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I had my first bad run today. :( Week 6 of Couch to 5K - Meant to hit 6 reps of 1 minute walking and 5 minutes jogging. As soon as I started running, I knew something was up. I just couldn't catch my breath right at all. Had to take longer than a minute walking on my second rep and only ended up doing 4.

If it was the first day of this set I could understand, but I managed it fine on Monday, albeit it was tough going. How do you deal with a bad run day?

Everyone has them now and again. You only need to worry if it happens a lot.

You might be coming down with a cold or are a bit tired or something.
    I'm a C25k graduate myself speaking from experience, if it was me I would take a rest day tomorrow and try it again on Friday or Saturday.

Also, make sure you're running the running segments as slowly as possible. Don't race the running bits. Try to get into a nice comfortable rhythm.
    In saying that, there's nothing particularly comfortable about any kind of running when your'e starting out (it's all very hard!) but do try to slow down as much as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

http://www.body-expressions.com/newsletters/newsletter/2565078/84410.htm

I put up a few pounds over the Summer so gave that Diet a go. Seriously, weight falls off. IF you can stick to it. Forget about trying to run up hills by Day 6, not a chance.

You'll be doing well to keep the Soup down by then aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

So, just reading reports from DCM yesterday and wondering what causes hamstring cramps... seems to have affected a lot of people at the faster end of the race... my daughter was out watching and saw one runner where they could actually see the muscle seized up on his leg. Is there a way to avoid cramping? is it dehydration or something similar causing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

annapr wrote: »
    So, just reading reports from DCM yesterday and wondering what causes hamstring cramps... seems to have affected a lot of people at the faster end of the race... my daughter was out watching and saw one runner where they could actually see the muscle seized up on his leg. Is there a way to avoid cramping? is it dehydration or something similar causing it?

I think the jury's out on any one specific cause anna. I got mild hamstring cramping towards the end of longer runs back in July/August when I was base building. When I dialled back the overall pace, it stopped which suggested to me that my muscles were being stressed too much, too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

annapr wrote: »

No easy answers I'm afraid Anna. Though I'm not at the fast end of marathons I have experienced calf and hamstring cramps. The latter are a disaster as they force you to pull up completely. The calf stuff I can more or less control - not always mind. But when the hamstring cramps, then you have to stop and straighten the leg. I was on the ground in a couple of marathons, one in particular I look back on now and can almost see the funny side. I was out in the middle of nowhere and just went over to the side of the road where there was lovely thick, wet grass. It cooled the hammers down a bit!

I've taken salt tablets and gels and so on. I still don't know exactly what brings them on. I've got 'em from 21.5kms on in marathons. In some recent outings I have been able to overcome the calf cramps but they certainly stop me from 'pushing on', that's for sure. I've read plenty on the subject but I've given up of late and just hope for the best...........

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

I noticed my left hamstrung was close to seizing up a couple of times in the last few miles on Monday. Easing off the pace just a tiny bit held it at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Neera

Wondeirng if I could pick the brains of some experienced runners on here!

I started couch to 5k in January and can "comfortably" run a 5km in about 31 or so minutes. I try to run 3 times a week but always manage to do my local parkrun on a Saturday. To date I've done two 10k runs - finishing in 69 mins on the first and 67 mins on the second. I'm signed up to do another 10km run in November but I jsut saw that there's the Run in the Dark a couple of days before.

I'm thinking of signing up to this too but not sure if my legs would be able for two 10km's in a matter or days....would I be foolish signing up to 2 10kms so close together seeingas i've only done two in the past or would I be better off doing the 5km Run in the Dark and the 10km then a few days later....??

Any advice would be appreciated......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Yes, TBH this is foolish. Too much/too soon/too close together. They say, you need one day rest per mile raced so pick on and race it and forget the other. Well done on 5km and enjoy the 10km.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Neera wrote: »

I started couch to 5k in January and can "comfortably" run a 5km in about 31 or so minutes. I try to run 3 times a week but always manage to do my local parkrun on a Saturday. To date I've done two 10k runs - finishing in 69 mins on the first and 67 mins on the second. I'm signed up to do another 10km run in November but I jsut saw that there's the Run in the Dark a couple of days before.

I'm thinking of signing up to this too but not sure if my legs would be able for two 10km's in a matter or days....would I be foolish signing up to 2 10kms so close together seeingas i've only done two in the past or would I be better off doing the 5km Run in the Dark and the 10km then a few days later....??

Foolish? Yes:D
    No way should you race two runs so close together. Even an experienced runner wouldn't do this. Recipe for injury.
    I'd drop one of them if I was you. Focus on one and do well in it.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If running for fun or just to race, two 10 ks in 2-3 days should be no bother. If you are wanting to go for PBs on both races then it's probabaly best to target 1, and run-race one!

walshb wrote: »
    If running for fun or just to race, two 10 ks in 2-3 days should be no bother. If you are wanting to go for PBs on both races then it's probabaly best to target 1, and run-race one!

Definitely ignore the above, this is not sensible advice at all. The person is only new to running and to go from 5-10km is a great achievement but to recommend racing one and running one isn't. Everyone needs rest and recovery and to encourage this on the poster isn't a fair response.

aquinn wrote: »
    Definitely ignore the above, this is not sensible advice at all. The person is only new to running and to go from 5-10km is a great achievement but to recommend racing one and running one isn't. Everyone needs rest and recovery and to encourage this on the poster isn't a fair response.

Maybe you misinterpreted my post?

If looking for PBs then pick one and do not enter the other. I thought I was clear on that....

I looked back. My post wasn't clear. I did not mean to imply that run/race the two of them.

walshb wrote: »
    Maybe you misinterpreted my post?

If looking for PBs then pick one and do not enter the other. I thought I was clear on that....

Did I? As I read run both, either race one and run the other and no bother if 2-3 days apart. This is why I disagreed. 2-3 days with two 10 km's wouldn't be advisable IMO.

aquinn wrote: »
    Did I? As I read run both, either race one and run the other and no bother if 2-3 days apart. This is why I disagreed. 2-3 days with two 10 km's wouldn't be advisable IMO.

I have since edited that post. I wasn't clear in my post. I inadvertenlty implied that if he/she is going for PBs that he/she should run two. No, if racing for just the race/fun aspect then I see no issue with two 10ks in 2-3 days. If he/she wants to target PBs then race the first one and forget about trying to better that in the second one.....Could still enter it, but I would be surprised if he/she could perofrm the same or better.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Neera

Thanks for all the advice folks - I'll stick to the one I've already entered and ignore the Run in the Dark.

I think I knew in my heart and soul it was foolish but just wondered if I wasn't challenging myself enough!

Thanks for all the advice folks - I'll stick to the one I've already entered and ignore the Run in the Dark.

I think I knew in my heart and soul it was foolish but just wondered if I wasn't challenging myself enough!

Racing is tough and it takes practice to build experience with pace and even food and drinks. It's a massive learning curve but space out your races. Nothing ever wrong with going easy on yourself either. Challenge yourself with your training and slowly build yourself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

Started back running a couple of months ago, i got athletes foot, used the powder/cream and now on tablets.

I clean it with betadine, dry it, apply cream everyday. I have changed all my work socks to cotton only. I am also on a anti fungal pill once a day from the pharmacy.

Due to time restraints and the obvious cost, I don't want to go to the Doc's.

Anybody and hints how they have gotten rid of persistent athletes foot in the past?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

Not sure if this is the place for this or not; but no harm in asking. I've been running steadily for over 2 years now and really enjoying it. I would like to take it further by doing cross country during the winter. So do I have to be In a club to enter xc or are there races like you get all year round where anybody can enter. Thanks

Advertisement