Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Jude13 wrote: »
    Started back running a couple of months ago, i got athletes foot, used the powder/cream and now on tablets.

I clean it with betadine, dry it, apply cream everyday. I have changed all my work socks to cotton only. I am also on a anti fungal pill once a day from the pharmacy.

Due to time restraints and the obvious cost, I don't want to go to the Doc's.

Anybody and hints how they have gotten rid of persistent athletes foot in the past?

You have my sympathy, the scratching is horrible. Here are a few thoughts which may or may not help:

I find that religiously putting the powder (I use Dr. Scholls) into my socks over an extended period of time helps to get rid of it.
    If for some reason I have to take my socks off I never put them back on again i.e. I put a clean pair on each time.
    Try changing your shoes. I imagine that it's ventilation (although I don't actually know) but some shoes tend to give me more problems than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

I use the Dr Scholls powder also, ditto for the changing socks thing. I hate going to the Doc when I am not actually sick. I walk around bare foot at home to try and air it so it doesn't get too hot.

It's a pain and unsightly, flip flops being worn allot here.

I can't change my shoes, they are a lovely pair of asics the OH bought me for my b-day and the first pair that have left me with no pain after a run.

Maybe if I cut those two toes off...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Not sure if this is the place for this or not; but no harm in asking. I've been running steadily for over 2 years now and really enjoying it. I would like to take it further by doing cross country during the winter. So do I have to be In a club to enter xc or are there races like you get all year round where anybody can enter. Thanks

If you're in or near Dublin the BHAA www.bhaa.ie is your best bet for open XC races during the coming winter season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I use the Dr Scholls powder also, ditto for the changing socks thing. I hate going to the Doc when I am not actually sick. I walk around bare foot at home to try and air it so it doesn't get too hot.

It's a pain and unsightly, flip flops being worn allot here.

I can't change my shoes, they are a lovely pair of asics the OH bought me for my b-day and the first pair that have left me with no pain after a run.

Maybe if I cut those two toes off...

I was actually thinking more of your day to day shoes. The vast majority of running shoes aren't going to give your athlete's foot IMO.

Perhaps this is odd but I do find that wearing socks as opposed to going barefoot helps. If I don't wear socks my feet just get dirty and sweaty - yes that probably makes no sense but may be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    If you're in or near Dublin the BHAA is your best bet for open XC races during the coming winter season.

Thanks Bungy Girl I'll give that a look up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Thanks Bungy Girl I'll give that a look up

13th of December in Marlay is a 5k XC that is an open race. Plenty of XC races on calendar for the new year in the BHAA also.

Clearlier wrote: »
    I was actually thinking more of your day to day shoes. The vast majority of running shoes aren't going to give your athlete's foot IMO.

Perhaps this is odd but I do find that wearing socks as opposed to going barefoot helps. If I don't wear socks my feet just get dirty and sweaty - yes that probably makes no sense but may be worth a shot.

Noooooo I have two lovely pairs of well broken Barkers, had them 2 years now :(

I guess I should buy a new pair but I don't want to 'infect' the new pair if you know what I mean. Im waiting to get sick now so i dont have to go to the doc just for my athletes foot. I usually get man flu when I land home for Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Noooooo I have two lovely pairs of well broken Barkers, had them 2 years now :(

I guess I should buy a new pair but I don't want to 'infect' the new pair if you know what I mean. Im waiting to get sick now so i dont have to go to the doc just for my athletes foot. I usually get man flu when I land home for Christmas.

So, you'll go to the doc for man flu which your body will fight off fairly quickly but not for a painful and irritating fungal infection which is persistent? Just saying, I'd spend my money on the latter and put up with a few days of flu if you even get it.

You can die from man flu, just kidding. Yeah I should make time to get this thing checked out. Not found of doctors though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

You can die from man flu, just kidding. Yeah I should make time to get this thing checked out. Not found of doctors though.

Go into a local pharmacy and ask for a private consultation. They're free of charge, and you'll get good advice. There are a wide variety of things that can be done with AF that you don't need a doc for, and if the pharmacist thinks it's bad enough that you need a doctor, they'll let you know.

• Advertisement

Yup, been to two different ones, got two different courses of pills, creams and powder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Yup, been to two different ones, got two different courses of pills, creams and powder.

To much sugar in your Diet maybe? Eat some Garlic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Really struggling to get out since the clocks went back, zero motivation at all and haven't actually done any running since last weekend, going to force myself this evening but there's just something horrible about going out in the dark and the cold. Also Bray Head and the Cliff Walk are out of bounds in the dark so I have to put up with concrete, boring housing estate views and traffic fumes instead of fresh air and peace and quite and nice views. Cant get out on the bike in between runs for the same reasons aswell. Anyone the same way or got any tips for winter running for a novice? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Thargor wrote: »
    Really struggling to get out since the clocks went back, zero motivation at all and haven't actually done any running since last weekend, going to force myself this evening but there's just something horrible about going out in the dark and the cold. Also Bray Head and the Cliff Walk are out of bounds in the dark so I have to put up with concrete, boring housing estate views and traffic fumes instead of fresh air and peace and quite and nice views. Cant get out on the bike in between runs for the same reasons aswell. Anyone the same way or got any tips for winter running for a novice? :(
    I run the the cliff walk in the dark, thanks to my LED Lenser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I've switched most of my runs to lunchtime if that's an option for you? definitely get a head torch, a good high viz and some flashing lights. Its actually not cold yet so once you get going you'll be good & warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

annapr wrote: »
    So, just reading reports from DCM yesterday and wondering what causes hamstring cramps... seems to have affected a lot of people at the faster end of the race... my daughter was out watching and saw one runner where they could actually see the muscle seized up on his leg. Is there a way to avoid cramping? is it dehydration or something similar causing it?

Hi guys, I was logging in here to post the same query. I ran on Monday and at 19 miles my right hamstring went into severe cramp where I had to stop completely. At 20 miles my left hamstring also seized up. I couldn't stride at all and it ruined the last quarter of my race where all I could do was shuffle for a mile then stop with cramped hamstrings and repeat for the last 6 miles.

Funnily enough this was my third DCM and two years ago the exact same thing happened. I put it down to undertraining the last time and I ran all of my training runs on the training programme this time to the required pace and distance. I have not had one cramp in the intervening two years in my hamstrings until Monday which was the exact same thing as two years ago.

I am pretty sure I pre-hydrated properly and I drank at every water station.
    I actually felt pretty comfortable pace-wise throughout until the cramps came.

Any thoughts on what I might have done to cause it are appreciated. I feel fairly gutted that I missed my goal time by so much (15 mins) having ran the first 3/4s to plan and trained hard over the last four months.

Thanks guys
    Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

As a fellow novice I'm finding the darkness has closed off a lot of my running routes (local parks, football fields, riversides, etc. which are too dark now) which is a bit demoralising. I just keep my eyes on the prize to get me over it, think about how much better shape you'll be in come spring than you were last spring, and how much more you'll enjoy the longer evenings when they return as a result.

I have just mapped out some new routes on Garmin Connect and I'm actually finding the coolness is pleasant once I've been running a few minutes. Also there's less people on the footpaths and such, so every cloud and all that.

Just get out there and you'll get used to it in no time, if you let it put you off you'll be kicking yourself in a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

If you're finding it this tough now, imagine what's it going to be like in the hail, rain and possibly snow in the murky depths of December and January. (I don't personally see it that way, I love each new season and the different conditions they bring to my running).

It depends on how much you want to do it. If you want to do it, you'll do it. It really is that simple. There are no magic tips really. We all did as novices and we are still doing it because we wanted and want to do it. Put on your gear (maybe an extra layer if it's cold or a light jacket if it's wet, or a cap) and step out and do your thing.

If the cold is causing you a lot of distress maybe you could run in a gym? Or take up other sports for the winter and just run in the summer when the weather's good and the nights are bright.

Running should be something pleasant and enjoyable and something you look forward to in your life. Not something that causes you distress. So either embrace it and the challenges it brings to your running, or put it on hold and be a fair weather runner. Lots of them about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

As a fellow novice I'm finding the darkness has closed off a lot of my running routes (local parks, football fields, riversides, etc. which are too dark now) which is a bit demoralising. I just keep my eyes on the prize to get me over it, think about how much better shape you'll be in come spring than you were last spring, and how much more you'll enjoy the longer evenings when they return as a result.

I have just mapped out some new routes on Garmin Connect and I'm actually finding the coolness is pleasant once I've been running a few minutes. Also there's less people on the footpaths and such, so every cloud and all that.

Just get out there and you'll get used to it in no time, if you let it put you off you'll be kicking yourself in a few months.

When it gets to this time of year and it is purely running on footpaths, I find it helps to run to a "destination" and back again. So, instead of finding a loop around my house; I aim to get to this shopping centre or that crossroads, then run home a different way to the way I came.

Maybe its just me but it reduces the "endless" feeling of footpaths. You're either on your way somewhere or on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

you could check mapmyrun
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/ie/dublin-l/
    for running routes in your area, might find some places you hadn't thought of

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

What about joining up with a running group or club? You might find a bit more enthusiasm and motivation in a group situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I live in a small village so there is only a certain amount of footpaths that are lit, so I end up running in loops a lot. They aren’t the most enjoyable of runs, but if you put on some music or an audio book, you can still get something out of it. Could you aim to do a nice route at the weekend when it’s bright?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

ncmc wrote: »
    I live in a small village so there is only a certain amount of footpaths that are lit, so I end up running in loops a lot. They aren’t the most enjoyable of runs, but if you put on some music or an audio book, you can still get something out of it. Could you aim to do a nice route at the weekend when it’s bright?

please don't wear earphones in the darkness, especially on country roads, you need all your wits about you to hear traffic or any other road users that might not see you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Enduro

As the others have said in various ways, there is highly likely to be gear available to solve pretty much any issue you are having.

Too Dark : Get a good good headtorch (and maybe some flashing LED armbands to be seen as well).

Too Cold : put on another layer. A base layer with a lightweight fleece over it should be good enough for any temperatures in Ireland (excluding the rain factor)

Wind goes through you : Wear a lightwight windproof jacket

Hate Rain / Rain makes you too cold : Wear a full-on proper breathable waterproof jacket (Not cheap at all, but a good one is worth its weight in gold). This is my key item to winter training. Wearing this usually negates the need for a mid-layer in all but the coldest weathers.

Hate Rain #2 : Wear a cap with a large peak that will keep the rain off your face in most conditions. I find this has a big psychological effect

Hands are too cold: get some lightweight gloves

Hands still too cold (especially when it rains): get some waterproof gloves

Toes / feet are too cold : wear thicker socks. Mountaineering socks in extreme cases

Running on grass /rocks is too slippy in winter : run in trail running shoes.

Toes / feet are too wet : wear waterpoof trail shoes (big recomendation for Columbia outdry shoes)

Have too much gear which you might need on a run but don't want to wear from the off : Put it all in a good lightweight rucksack/bumbag and wear that.

I train (and race) through almost all weathers on roads and up in the hills. I love warm sunny days and I hate cold wet nights, but I don't let them stop me, and I make sure that I have the right gear to comfortably and safely plough on regardless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

As a fellow novice I'm finding the darkness has closed off a lot of my running routes (local parks, football fields, riversides, etc. which are too dark now) which is a bit demoralising.

I stick to parks in the winter and just wear a headtorch to light the way. I love running in empty parks in the dark tbh, generally you have the whole place to yourself bar a few rabbit eyes...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

menoscemo wrote: »
    I stick to parks in the winter and just wear a headtorch to light the way. I love running in empty parks in the dark tbh, generally you have the whole place to yourself bar a few rabbit eyes...

The nearest park to me is Marlay and it's all walled so I'm not sure if I can get in after closing, but I'll investigate. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

I'm struggling to decide what time I should be aiming for a half marathon that I'm doing in a few weeks. It's my first ever race (not a great idea, I know), so I've nothing to compare against.

I've been doing my LSRs at about 5:40 to 5:45 per km, and I feel grand at the end of them, not too out of breath. For my midweek runs, I've been doing 5k at about 5:10-5:20 with the odd tempo run where I run 5-6k of a 8k at ~4:45 per km. After these I feel a bit more tired obviously, but nothing too bad and I could definitely have kept going, though exactly for how long I'm not so sure.

I have a time of 1hr 50 in my mind, with 2 hours being the very minimum what I'd like to do. Is this too conservative/optimistic? I had previously posted in this thread a while ago asking similar questions before I had signed up, and I had a time of 1hr 40 in my mind at that time, but I think that might have been a bit too ambitious, though I have to say there are times during my runs where I feel great and I feel like my targets are a bit too cautious.

So what do you wise heads think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

ncmc wrote: »

I live in a very rural setting where there are no footpaths or street lights at all and it doesn't stop me from running. Running in loops would do my head in, thankfully there are other options.

If it's too dark, bring a headlamp. It doesn't have to be a fancy one, a €3.99 from Aldi or Lidl worked perfectly fine for me for the last 3 winters. Wear some reflective gear and don't listen to music.

Running on roads isn't particularly dangerous. In 11 years of running I have never had an incident with a car.

Advertisement