Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

now that the weather has turned (baltic!) what does everyone wear when racing?
    the same as always?
    one extra layer?
    hat / gloves
    long tights / shorts
    I know everyone is different but just gauging how warm (or not) folks might get in a 10 mile race in the cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Firedance wrote: »
    the same as always?
    one extra layer?
    hat / gloves
    long tights / shorts
    I know everyone is different but just gauging how warm (or not) folks might get in a 10 mile race in the cold weather.

Always shorts. Usually gloves (because of Raynauds). Never a hat but some sort of headband. But if it's particularly baltic and a short race I'd probably wear a long sleeve top (and likely roll the sleeves up at some point :rolleyes:). For a longer race I'd probably stick with a t-shirt/singlet. Personal preference I guess. I'd rather be too cold than too warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

As Bungy Girl says, always shorts. But if it's really cold I'll either wear a t-shirt under the singlet, or a pair of arm warmers with the singlet. Then for me, ALWAYS a pair of gloves. Then if it's really cold, a hat. I don't wear long sleeve tops, but the arm warmers are a good compromise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

pconn062 wrote: »
    Then if it's really cold, a hat tea cosy. I don't wear long sleeve tops, but the arm warmers are a good compromise.

FYP

menoscemo wrote: »
    FYP

It's better than that Tallaght standard issue baseball cap you wear! ;)

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    FYP

they must be 'in' there was definitely one worn at this mornings parkrun :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Always just a singlet and shorts. Gloves if it's really cold (sub-4℃)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

the same as always?
    one extra layer?
    hat / gloves
    long tights / shorts

Shorts & t-shirt nearly always. Sleeveless Base layer only if it's really cold. Men should NOT wear long tights.

tang1 wrote: »
    Shorts & t-shirt nearly always. Sleeveless Base layer only if it's really cold. Men should NOT wear long tights.

Nonsense! Most of the guys I train with (me included) would wear long tights throughout the winter, if it stops your legs getting cold what's the problem?

Nonsense! Most of the guys I train with (me included) would wear long tights throughout the winter, if it stops your legs getting cold what's the problem?

Obviously all have hefty langers up Louth direction so, even in the cold!!

• Advertisement

Ha, good God Tang, this is a family show! Lay off the vino! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

So the lack thereof is the reason you don't wear tights then? Interesting.... :D

4 out of 4 for shorts and then variations of singlet/tshirt with extras, interesting, and of course you guys are all fast, which makes a difference too no doubt. Shorts & t-shirt it is so :)

4 out of 4 for shorts and then variations of singlet/tshirt with extras, interesting, and of course you guys are all fast, which makes a difference too no doubt. Shorts & t-shirt it is so :)

On a serious note, what you wore in Longwood will do tomorrow. It brought you a PB then, no reason it won't do same in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Baggirshorts

the same as always?
    one extra layer?
    hat / gloves
    long tights / shorts

Shorts and a singlet with gloves that I usually take off after I have warmed up.
    But for some reason, I went with a running top from Wicklow jail break hm from a few years back, on my Clontarf hm this morning...

Not even 1K into the race and I was regretting it already....I like cold weather running.
    So bare minimum usually...:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Are you doing Stook tomorrow?

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Are you doing Stook tomorrow?

yes! you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

track fairies. Maybe if you didn't stop running every two minutes to fix your hair and swap beard care tips you'd stay warm :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

yes! you?

Yes! Torn between singlet or t shirt. Will definitely wear gloves.

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Yes! Torn between singlet or t shirt. Will definitely wear gloves.

definitely too cold for a singlet (for me) despite tangs advice :) funnily enough I never wear gloves, my hands don't feel the cold, my arms do though! see you there

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    track fairies. Maybe if you didn't stop running every two minutes to fix your hair and swap beard care tips you'd stay warm :P

At least I've got hair left to fix, unlike some on here! :)

At least I've got hair left to fix, unlike some on here! :)

Ah now thats a dirty dig, what i said about ye was a compliment:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I wear shorts, gloves (Ronhill Merino wool running gloves I picked up at the DCM expo - last year I used to wear some light cycling gloves(!?) but thankfully one of them went missing) and either a long-sleeve top or a singlet under a light running jacket. Sometimes I'll wear a cap (if raining or windy) or the woolen hat from last year's race series (if running slowly).

In other boring running gear news, I stopped bothering putting on running socks a few months ago, other than for particularly long runs or if I'm not wearing socks when getting ready, and I haven't noticed any difference - the only two blisters I've ever gotten were when my feet got soaked due to rain (and both were when I was wearing running socks).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What shoes do you wear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

How's everyone's joints with all the running?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

ThisRegard wrote: »
    What shoes do you wear?

Mostly two paris of Brooks - Ravenna and Adrenaline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I've cut down on them myself, definitely do some damage to the old lungs. Yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Singer wrote: »
    Mostly two paris of Brooks - Ravenna and Adrenaline.

I wear adrenaline myself, not sure I'd manage even a short run without socks. The only things I've found comfy without them are from the Sketchers Go... range.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Well, since running strengthens the joints and surrounding ligaments, tendons and muscles, better than ever

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Anyone know of any 10k races around The Pale this week or next weekend?

ta

Advertisement