Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Anybody got a link to the course in the Phoenix Park for the Jingle Bells 5K on Sat 4th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Anybody got a link to the course in the Phoenix Park for the Jingle Bells 5K on Sat 4th?

Try the race profiles thread in the Events forum, should be one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I bet it's the same as last year, and the year before that:
    http://www.donoreharriers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/JBCourse2014.pdf
    http://www.donoreharriers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/JBCourseMap.png

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Singer wrote: »

That finishes on a big downhill. Is that allowed count towards a PB :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Yes, as long as you're prepared to wait a year to pb again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Haven't run this (yet) but I'm pretty certain the last little bit is uphill. :p

adrian522 wrote: »
    Yes.

(as long as you don't ask any more questions)

I'm totally targeting a PB :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

A PB is a PB, the trick is to beat it before you return to Jingle Bells 2016.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Thanks guys, I'm based in Dublin but from Galway so within reasonable distance of either of these is the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Yintang

Daisies wrote: »
    So I've gotten this idea into my head that I'd like to do a half marathon early next year. I could probably run 8-10k at the moment. Any suggestions of a relatively easy half marathon for a first timer in Feb or March?

Thanks

What about Kinvara Rock and Road in early March?? Great atmosphere, beautiful scenery and great craic...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

This time of year, for the Hal Higdon plans, what do people do for the cross training days? I'm not going to be going out on a bike any time soon, so was just thinking of adding a run of some sort in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

ThisRegard wrote: »
    This time of year, for the Hal Higdon plans, what do people do for the cross training days? I'm not going to be going out on a bike any time soon, so was just thinking of adding a run of some sort in.

Swimming/walking/hiking are all good. They'd all be better than an extra running day, cos that's not cross training, it's just an extra running day :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I notice quite a few people in the if you could turn back time thread saying they would have waited until they had a better base before running their first marathon, I also notice some of this years DCM novices are still nursing injuries from the day.

I guess the answer to this question will depend on the person level of fitness, age etc when starting out but generally speaking how long and with what intensity should someone be running before attempting to run a marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

The Muppet wrote: »
    I notice quite a few people in the if you could turn back time thread saying they would have waited until they had a better base before running their first marathon, I also notice some of this years DCM novices are still nursing injuries from the day.

I guess the answer to this question will depend on the person level of fitness, age etc when starting out but generally speaking how long and with what intensity should someone be running before attempting to run a marathon.

It's very much a subjective question. For me I would say that you want to have 2-3 years of consistent training in, to the point where you are covering 8-10 hours a week of running. This is not a case of being able to run your optimum marathon but simply having a decent enough base to do yourself justice without higher injury risk.

Ideally the more the better.

It's very much a subjective question. For me I would say that you want to have 2-3 years of consistent training in, to the point where you are covering 8-10 hours a week of running. This is not a case of being able to run your optimum marathon but simply having a decent enough base to do yourself justice without higher injury risk.

Maybe I fluked not getting injured, but I did a good first marathon around 18 months after starting proper running.

I'm not sure about the 8-10 hours thing though- I peaked at 8:15/week during actual marathon training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I had been running a year and 10 months when I did mine. I felt very prepared for it and not overwhelmed by the higher mileage, got through the training without any injuries, and came out the other side unscathed.

I had been running very very consistently in that time however, and doing mostly easy running for the first year with some well spaced out races (did have a few beginner niggles and injuries), and in the second year I did speed work, so plenty of weekly tempo running and some faster interval work.
    No, it wasn't a fast marathon by any standards, but it was a thoroughly enjoyable one and I felt my body was well able to handle the training.
    IMO you're setting yourself up nicely for DCM next year going by your own current training log.

edit: peaked at about 8 hours per week training.

Ideally the more the better.

Wow 8 to 10 hours a week is quite a lot even at easy pace. That's certainly food for thought, I think I need to reassess my plans, thanks.

Ososlo wrote: »
    I had been running a year and 10 months when I did mine. I felt very prepared for it and not overwhelmed by the higher mileage, got through the training without any injuries, and came out the other side unscathed.

I had been running very very consistently in that time however, and doing mostly easy running for the first year with some well spaced out races (did have a few beginner niggles and injuries), and in the second year I did speed work, so plenty of weekly tempo running and some faster interval work.
    No, it wasn't a fast marathon by any standards, but it was a thoroughly enjoyable one and I felt my body was well able to handle the training.
    IMO you're setting yourself up nicely for DCM next year going by your own current training log.

Thanks , the number of novices talking about still being injured really concerns me , I haven't ran since wednesday and its doing my head in, A month away from it would not be good for me. I use my running as part of my diabetes control I couldn't really afford to miss a lot of time.

Your lead up looks quite similar to what ive done to date, a few years easy runs and some tempo runs and races this last few months . I Hope to get back to it in the morning with some easy short runs this week. See where i go from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Thanks , the number of novices talking about still being injured really concerns me , I haven't ran since wednesday and its doing my head in, A month away from it would not be good for me. I use my running as part of my diabetes control I couldn't really afford to miss a lot of time.

Yes but there are plenty back to regular running at this stage too, so it's very different for everyone.
    Concentrate on building a really good base once you're back at it and chances are you'll be absolutely fine.

• Advertisement

I guess my current injury has caused me some concerns, its my first proper injury, getting back on the road is my number one priority at the moment,, ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

I guess my current injury has caused me some concerns, its my first proper injury, getting back on the road is my number one priority at the moment,, ,

If I can give you one piece of advice, and I've learned this from experience...don't rush back from injury. Take the rest that your body needs, don't force anything and you'll be back with muchly reduced chances of that injury recurring.
    Two weeks out seems like a bloody lifetime, but keep the faith- you'll be ok :)

Singer wrote: »
    Maybe I fluked not getting injured, but I did a good first marathon around 18 months after starting proper running.

I'm not sure about the 8-10 hours thing though- I peaked at 8:15/week during actual marathon training.

I wouldn't say fluked. My recommendations were more a case of ideal to the point where you can seamlessly transition from current training to marathon training (mileage might not be much different simply change of emphasis) some will run less injury free and can run a fast marathon comparable to others off the same base.
    Wow 8 to 10 hours a week is quite a lot even at easy pace. That's certainly food for thought, I think I need to reassess my plans, thanks.

It might seem like alot but depending on your paces that roughly works out to about 48-65 miles a week at the low end. Looking at most current plans that would be on the higher scale but that is to do yourself full justice. I would say that 80-85% approx. of people have the physical capabilities to run a 3 marathon which is the kinda ball park I am speaking about here.

Whether or not this amount of training is feasible comes down to the individuals personal motivation and circumstance.

That's very interesting myles . motivation wouldn't be an issue but i fear building to that milage injury free might be . I.m thinking It would take a couple of years of consistant running while slowly adding miles .

That's very interesting myles . motivation wouldn't be an issue but i fear building to that milage injury free might be . I.m thinking It would take a couple of years of consistant running while slowly adding miles .

This is the reason why I would say 2-3 years of a build up.

Two of the most important terms that are often overlooked by runners are patience and consistency. Get them right and the world is your oyster ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

chickey2 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Goal mile is going ahead this year on Christmas day? It was on in Tallaght last year but I can't find any information about this year.

List of all the GOAL miles here

https://www.goalglobal.org/events/event/goal-mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

GOAL Mile is on in Tallaght AC as usual this year, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

davedanon wrote: »
    GOAL Mile is on in Tallaght AC as usual this year, as far as I know.

I'm hosting one in Shanganagh Pk again, Christmas morning 09:30, 09:40 and 09:50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Are their any logs from people doing track races? I follow Chivito and pconn, but everyone else so far is longer distances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 CameraBag

How long did it take you to develop the discipline to run regularly? I like it when I do, and I'm not slow for a newbie, but I struggle to run regularly.

Advertisement