Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

CameraBag wrote: »
    How long did it take you to develop the discipline to run regularly? I like it when I do, and I'm not slow for a newbie, but I struggle to run regularly.

I joined a club, you run when they run, then eventually running takes over your life and you will be itching to run every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Are their any logs from people doing track races? I follow Chivito and pconn, but everyone else so far is longer distances

Mostly Track

- KielyUnusual is a 1500m runner with a pretty good log.
    - My own log is geared around 5k/10k track races next summer (1 in London and one in National Seniors) but have raced from 1500m-10k this year on track (including racewalking)
    - Dubgal is on a mini sabbatical but was running 1500m

There are a few others who try their hand at it during the year

There is also this which should start getting a bit more active in January

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The Muppet wrote: »
    I notice quite a few people in the if you could turn back time thread saying they would have waited until they had a better base before running their first marathon, I also notice some of this years DCM novices are still nursing injuries from the day.

I guess the answer to this question will depend on the person level of fitness, age etc when starting out but generally speaking how long and with what intensity should someone be running before attempting to run a marathon.
    It's very much a subjective question. For me I would say that you want to have 2-3 years of consistent training in, to the point where you are covering 8-10 hours a week of running. This is not a case of being able to run your optimum marathon but simply having a decent enough base to do yourself justice without higher injury risk.

Ideally the more the better.

Waiting a few years is the standard advice, and for a good reason.

Then again, there are exceptions to everything. My first marathon was also my first ever road race, 4 months after I started running. That was before all that good advice was available on the internet and these days I would probably do things differently.

However, I never regretted doing things my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

How long did it take you to develop the discipline to run regularly? I like it when I do, and I'm not slow for a newbie, but I struggle to run regularly.

I find following a training plan keeps me running regularly, If I'm not I have had the tendency to not run at all .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Enduro

Waiting a few years is the standard advice, and for a good reason.

Then again, there are exceptions to everything. My first marathon was also my first ever road race, 4 months after I started running. That was before all that good advice was available on the internet and these days I would probably do things differently.

However, I never regretted doing things my way.

Ditto, my first ever road race was a marathon (2:57!), with only a few months of iffey training before it. Lots of hillwalking background probably had me better conditioned than the average first timer to running though. Exceptions definitely exist, but I wouldn't be contradicting the general advice though!

• Advertisement

I find about 2 weeks of discipline to make it routine. Once its routine it becomes harder not to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I find following a training plan keeps me running regularly, If I'm not I have had the tendency to not run at all .

Second the above. I started and stopped running many times over the last couple of years. Once I picked a goal race and a training plan I found my motivation became limitless. I'm running much more regularly, consistently, and making improvements like I never did before. Give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I’d say it differs from person to person. I know some people who would be climbing the walls if they missed a run or two, whereas I have to kind of force myself to go for a run a lot of times. Like you, I enjoy it when I get out there and I love the feeling afterwards, but sometimes the thought of it is off putting! I find it harder these cold wet dark days, it can definitely feel like a chore sometimes. Just try and do a training plan for the next few weeks and stick to it religiously, make it realistic and achievable. I find there can be a bit of a buzz sticking to a plan, even if you didn’t always feel like it. Also, try and get your run done early in the day, or as soon as you get home from work. I find it hard to get out if I’ve been sitting down or it gets late in the evening. The less time you have to make excuses the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Enduro wrote: »
    Ditto, my first ever road race was a marathon (2:57!), with only a few months of iffey training before it. Lots of hillwalking background probably had me better conditioned than the average first timer to running though. Exceptions definitely exist, but I wouldn't be contradicting the general advice though!

That's a great first marathon time. How long ago was that ? You must have reduced that time considerably now given the volume you do

kit3 wrote: »
    That's a great first marathon time. How long ago was that ? You must have reduced that time considerably now given the volume you do

I'm old... Dublin 1998! Haven't done a flat(ish) road marathon since 2002 (2:41 in Dublin, which remains my PB, even though I had to make a pit stop in the middle of that one!). Funnily enough my own opinion of my best marathon time isn't my fastest time, but is my 2:52 (2001 I think) from Snowdonia, as its such a tough course by road standards.

At that stage I was pushing out the envelope distance-wise more and more, and discovering that I ran more competively and more effectively the longer the races get. Since then marathons have become a unit of measure :)

The volume I do now probably wouldn't be very effective for getting marathon times. I'd need adopt a more conventional training plan with less overall volume and more speed/intensity sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Would tend to agree with suggestions of a plan that builds towards a race goal helps to keep some focus and interest. The Parkruns are a worthwhile and sociable goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Goal mile at Lucan Harriers at 10am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Talking of training plans, can anyone recommend one to keep me ticking over over Xmas?

I was training for Stook, then took last week off (went to Berlin for the Xmas markets and proteined-up on hot choc). Didn't even bring my runners!

My next long race will probably be Ballycotton, and I'm doing Jingle Bells next weekend, and might do the Fat Turkey after Xmas, so would speed session once a week, some class of hill, and an LSR of 10-12 and a bit of easy running do me till after Xmas? Haven't really got anything planned, training or racing wise ...

(Not confident about Jingle Bells -- I am so full of Gluhwein and strudel after my holiday. Ran 6 miles yesterday and had planned to run this evening but got stuck in work.)

Last week I felt gleefully on holidays and now I feel a bit rudderless.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭doughef

Hi guys

Went for a foot scan today and as suspected am very flat footed!

Never really been an issue before and have been running years and have a few marathons under the belt...
    But .. Getting calf strains and sore shins and feeling a bit of a strain in my groin. The physio says my calfs are extremely tight.
    The guy who scanned me let me try a pair of those inserts with the support in them and did a few tests with balance and strength etc and I'll admit the inserts proved to be more comfortable and made some of the stretches much less painfull ..

So ... Are those insoles any use? I think he said around €70 for them
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Talking of training plans, can anyone recommend one to keep me ticking over over Xmas?

I was training for Stook, then took last week off (went to Berlin for the Xmas markets and proteined-up on hot choc). Didn't even bring my runners!

My next long race will probably be Ballycotton, and I'm doing Jingle Bells next weekend, and might do the Fat Turkey after Xmas, so would speed session once a week, some class of hill, and an LSR of 1012 and a bit of easy running do me till after Xmas? Haven't really got anything planned, training or racing wise ...

(Not confident about Jingle Bells -- I am so full of Gluhwein and strudel after my holiday. Ran 6 miles yesterday and had planned to run this evening but got stuck in work.)

Last week I felt gleefully on holidays and now I feel a bit rudderless.

Just give yourself a weekly mileage target, you have 3 up weeks to Christmas week and then you can drop down for the festivities.
    Don't worry too much about formal speed sessions, a bit of farlek, some strides after a couple of runs and throw in a mile or 2 at your Stook pace in a mid-week run.
    Then jump into a nice 10 week plan for BallyC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Just give yourself a weekly mileage target, you have 3 up weeks to Christmas week and then you can drop down for the festivities.
    Don't worry too much about formal speed sessions, a bit of farlek, some strides after a couple of runs and throw in a mile or 2 at your Stook pace in a mid-week run.
    Then jump into a nice 10 week plan for BallyC.

Thanks! That sounds about right. I just don't want to get into the habit of all festive hot drinks instead of running, but I do want to go to a few Xmas parties as well, and run a few fun runs / park runs / Goal miles etc without worrying that I'm missing something important.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Running mad

Between work and college in the evenings I won't be able to run during the week until the end of January. So I only have Saturday and Sunday free for running.

Up to now I had been running 30-35 mpw. What I have been doing the last few weeks is something like 5 miles Saturday and 8 miles Sunday. Both at easy pace. Is 8 miles too long when I'm only runnung 2 days a week. Has anyone got a better plan based on 2 training days a week?

Once Febuary comes I'll be back running 5 days a week in preparation for Cork half marathon in June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Can you get lunchtime in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Between work and college in the evenings I won't be able to run during the week until the end of January. So I only have Saturday and Sunday free for running.

Up to now I had been running 30-35 mpw. What I have been doing the last few weeks is something like 5 miles Saturday and 8 miles Sunday. Both at easy pace. Is 8 miles too long when I'm only runnung 2 days a week. Has anyone got a better plan based on 2 training days a week?

Once Febuary comes I'll be back running 5 days a week in preparation for Cork half marathon in June.

Can you run before work? at lunch time? as a commute between the two?

5 days break a week will make it very hard to maintain current fitness let alone create enough stimulus to evoke a positive fitness response aerobically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Life gets in the way of running sometimes! Don't sweat it too much. 5 and 8 miles wouldn't be too much at all at the weekends. If you feel able for more then you should do it. Don't be afraid to do a few miles at a faster pace.

If you can find a way to jog for 20 minutes during the week then you'll maintain fitness better but it's not a huge deal.

When you do come back to it you can rebuild to 30mpw fairly quickly but do it over a few weeks rather than straight back into it. Your current level of fitness will come back quite quickly.

You should keep doing any supplementary work (strengthening/stretching etc.) even if just at a slightly lower level.

• Advertisement

Can you run before work? at lunch time? as a commute between the two?

5 days break a week will make it very hard to maintain current fitness let alone create enough stimulus to evoke a positive fitness response aerobically.

I'm afraid not. Start work too early to run before work. Have a 30 mins drive commute to work then. Not possible to run at lunch time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I used to get up at 6 for a run, bed at 12, that's about as early as I'll go

8 hours is great but I'm grand on 6!

Clearlier wrote: »
    Life gets in the way of running sometimes! Don't sweat it too much. 5 and 8 miles wouldn't be too much at all at the weekends. If you feel able for more then you should do it. Don't be afraid to do a few miles at a faster pace.

If you can find a way to jog for 20 minutes during the week then you'll maintain fitness better but it's not a huge deal.

When you do come back to it you can rebuild to 30mpw fairly quickly but do it over a few weeks rather than straight back into it. Your current level of fitness will come back quite quickly.

You should keep doing any supplementary work (strengthening/stretching etc.) even if just at a slightly lower level.

Thanks for that. Some Saturday's I try and incorporate 2-3 miles at 10 km pace. I've no problem upping the mileage over them two days to something like 7 Saturday and 10 Sunday. I was just afraid that doing that might cause injury as my long run could be 60-70 % of my weekly mileage.

I'll have to try and squeeze a run in somewhere during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Thanks for that. Some Saturday's I try and incorporate 2-3 miles at 10 km pace. I've no problem upping the mileage over them two days to something like 7 Saturday and 10 Sunday. I was just afraid that doing that might cause injury as my long run could be 60-70 % of my weekly mileage.

I'll have to try and squeeze a run in somewhere during the week

Maybe there's somewhere a couple of miles away from work that you can park and jog (or walk if there are no changing facilities) in? If not try to do some extra walking - never take a lift or escalator if you can take a stairs. Park so that you have to walk a couple of extra minutes. Walking is not running but if you can squeeze in a half hour of walking at lunch time you'll feel better for it and it'll help maintain fitness a bit.

These are just thoughts, the most important thing is that you get the balance of your life right and if other things need to take priority right now you should embrace it as a positive choice and come back to training at the end of January refreshed and mentally ready to get stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

My shins are quite sore again after being quite sore a month or two back. I went to the physio then and he massaged my leg and they got better but the niggle never completely went away for more than a week (some runs it wouldn't hurt apart from for about 1 minute and then it was grand after that). They hurt when I foam roll my calf but not when I foam roll the actual shin itself, and I've also noticed that my calf has had a bit of a knot the last day or two (nothing too bad though).

I'm mainly confused by the pain when I foam roll the calf but not the actual shin. Any reason why this is? Do I have shin splints or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

I am doing the Jingle Bells 5k on Saturday. I would still like to do a long easy run on Sunday. Should I limit the mileage I do on the Sunday and if so what is the maximum distance I should run?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

I am doing the Jingle Bells 5k on Saturday. I would still like to do a long easy run on Sunday. Should I limit the mileage I do on the Sunday and if so what is the maximum distance I should run?

A few miles less than you would normally do and a bit slower. Hard to be more specific as everyone is different. If it was me, I would drop back from 12 to 10 miles and +15-30s per mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

Normally run in the morning or at lunchtime. Have always found that if I have to push a run out to the evening the effort feels way easier for the same pace/distance then it does earlier in the day.
    Always wondered why. Any ideas?
    Only recently got a hrm and the effort is the same am/pm hr-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Hi all,
    I might be doing a run in the next few weeks were I will be going there on my own. When I usually go I have my family with me, so the hubbie drives, has my purse etc. But I may have to take a train, so that means parking at the train station so I need to bring my keys, bring my purse etc. Would they be safe at a bag drop?
    Any suggestions what to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I might be doing a run in the next few weeks were I will be going there on my own. When I usually go I have my family with me, so the hubbie drives, has my purse etc. But I may have to take a train, so that means parking at the train station so I need to bring my keys, bring my purse etc. Would they be safe at a bag drop?
    Any suggestions what to do?

I would go the flip belt route myself and keep the really important stuff on me. Better be safe than sorry when it comes to car keys, cards, etc. Some say they dont like belts but I find I cant really feel the flip belt if I wear it just above my hips.

Advertisement