Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭podgec10

doughef wrote: »
    Hi guys

Went for a foot scan today and as suspected am very flat footed!

Never really been an issue before and have been running years and have a few marathons under the belt...
    But .. Getting calf strains and sore shins and feeling a bit of a strain in my groin. The physio says my calfs are extremely tight.
    The guy who scanned me let me try a pair of those inserts with the support in them and did a few tests with balance and strength etc and I'll admit the inserts proved to be more comfortable and made some of the stretches much less painfull ..

So ... Are those insoles any use? I think he said around €70 for them
    Thanks in advance

I would also be interested in any information given on being flat footed and using insoles. I have very tight and tender calves and achilles. Would insoles help to reduce this as I am also a flat footer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Why the need to bring a purse? Stick a note in a small pocket, in a sock, somewhere like that, and leave the purse stashed in your car if you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

The Muppet wrote: »
    I would go the flip belt route myself and keep the really important stuff on me. Better be safe than sorry when it comes to car keys, cards, etc. Some say they dont like belts but I find I cant really feel the flip belt if I wear it just above my hips.
    That like a bum bag? (as we used to wear about 25 years ago on our holidays!)

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Why the need to bring a purse? Stick a note in a small pocket, in a sock, somewhere like that, and leave the purse stashed in your car if you need it.
    Thanks but I plan on taking a train so the car will be left at the station over an hour away. Kinda need my purse incase of emergency. I don't really want to drive as there's not much parking and I don't fancy driving an hour and half either way.

doughef wrote: »
    Hi guys

Went for a foot scan today and as suspected am very flat footed!

Never really been an issue before and have been running years and have a few marathons under the belt...
    But .. Getting calf strains and sore shins and feeling a bit of a strain in my groin. The physio says my calfs are extremely tight.
    The guy who scanned me let me try a pair of those inserts with the support in them and did a few tests with balance and strength etc and I'll admit the inserts proved to be more comfortable and made some of the stretches much less painfull ..

So ... Are those insoles any use? I think he said around €70 for them
    Thanks in advance
    podgec10 wrote: »
    I would also be interested in any information given on being flat footed and using insoles. I have very tight and tender calves and achilles. Would insoles help to reduce this as I am also a flat footer?

I'm pretty flat footed, but perfectly balanced the last time I got checked. I think with the right shoes you shouldn't need inserts, in my own experience. I don't get tight calves unless after a long and hard race, and when I do a bit of stretching resolves it.

What sort of stretches are you doing that are made less painful when using the inserts?

• Advertisement

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Thanks but I plan on taking a train so the car will be left at the station over an hour away. Kinda need my purse incase of emergency. I don't really want to drive as there's not much parking and I don't fancy driving an hour and half either way.

Yeah, I understand, but a €20 or €50 note should cover you? I usually leave something like that in a small pocket, like those in shorts, for situations like you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

That like a bum bag? (as we used to wear about 25 years ago on our holidays!)

Not really here a link,

http://theflipbelt.co.uk/

Yeah, I understand, but a €20 or €50 note should cover you? I usually leave something like that in a small pocket, like those in shorts, for situations like you describe.
    Yeah I might just do that. What to do about a pointy key though? Oh and I'll need my house key. Could put them in the side of my sports bra but might uncomfortable?! maybe they might squeeze into the back pocket of my running leggings but damn the pocket on the back of them (penneys) can fit nothing in, they are useless but comfy.

I'm pretty flat footed, but perfectly balanced the last time I got checked. I think with the right shoes you shouldn't need inserts, in my own experience. I don't get tight calves unless after a long and hard race, and when I do a bit of stretching resolves it.

What sort of stretches are you doing that are made less painful when using the inserts?

I don't wear inserts, I was wondering if they would help reduce the tightness in my calf and achilles if I did wear them?

Yeah I might just do that. What to do about a pointy key though? Oh and I'll need my house key. Could put them in the side of my sports bra but might uncomfortable?! maybe they might squeeze into the back pocket of my running leggings but damn the pocket on the back of them (penneys) can fit nothing in, they are useless but comfy.

I might be misunderstanding your plans, but can you not leave your house key in the car if you're returning to it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Purely in the interests of balance (excuse the pun), I have suffered with plantar fasciitis in the past, and as an aside, although I don't attach any importance to it, I've done the 'wet footprint' test and my right foot seems to be 'flat' to a certain degree, the podiatrist I went to see treats by manipulation and exercises and is loath to recommend insoles/orthotics/night splints etc etc. The philosophy is, if the foot is working properly, then the problem should go away in time. The whole notion of 'flat feet' being a problem seems a bit old-hat to me. It used to keep people out of the army. How mad is that, in retrospect? I'm not trying to play down anyone else's problems here - just my perspective.

I might be misunderstanding your plans, but can you not leave your house key in the car if you're returning to it?
    Jeez I'm really not plugged in this morning!! Never thought of that!! If I didn't post here I probably would have ended up bringing the kitchen sink along with me!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

One bank card, €20, and your car key will fit in a pocket very easily. And will more than cover emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Not really here a link,

http://theflipbelt.co.uk/

+1 on this, I can get gels, car key, iPhone into this and you'd barely notice you've it on.

davedanon wrote: »
    Purely in the interests of balance (excuse the pun), I have suffered with plantar fasciitis in the past, and as an aside, although I don't attach any importance to it, I've done the 'wet footprint' test and my right foot seems to be 'flat' to a certain degree, the podiatrist I went to see treats by manipulation and exercises and is loath to recommend insoles/orthotics/night splints etc etc. The philosophy is, if the foot is working properly, then the problem should go away in time. The whole notion of 'flat feet' being a problem seems a bit old-hat to me. It used to keep people out of the army. How mad is that, in retrospect? I'm not trying to play down anyone else's problems here - just my perspective.

I agree with where you're coming from, with both feet being quite flat.
    podgec10 wrote: »
    I don't wear inserts, I was wondering if they would help reduce the tightness in my calf and achilles if I did wear them?

I don't think I'm really in the position to say yay or nay because I've never had such problems to give you my experience. I suppose the only way of knowing is trying them. But wouldn't you then need to wear different footwear so the affects of the insoles aren't negated or accentuated by the shoes, e.g. if you're an over pronator you'd need to put them in neutral shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

aoboa wrote: »
    Normally run in the morning or at lunchtime. Have always found that if I have to push a run out to the evening the effort feels way easier for the same pace/distance then it does earlier in the day.
    Always wondered why. Any ideas?
    Only recently got a hrm and the effort is the same am/pm hr-wise.

Yes, I have seen the same plenty of times. I usually run in the morning but on the few occasions when I went out in the evening instead I noticed that the run feels easier and invariably I run faster than I would do in the morning for the same perceived effort.

My HRM also tells me that the figures are usually slightly better in the evening (i.e. faster pace for the same HR) but that difference is very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

you can attach a key to your shoelaces. Unlace your shoes a few holes each side, thread through your key, then lace up again. It won't come out unless your laces open and unlace themelves

I don't think I'm really in the position to say yay or nay because I've never had such problems to give you my experience. I suppose the only way of knowing is trying them. But wouldn't you then need to wear different footwear so the affects of the insoles are negated or accentuated by the shoes, e.g. if you're an over pronator you'd need to put them in neutral shoes?[/QUOTE]

I do over pronate and bought shoes for this which, like you, I thought should overcome my flat footedness. I think your probably right that it isn't the cause of my calf problems, (better training, more stretching and rolling etc..) but when I saw the post from another user I thought quick fix! Balls!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

RayCun wrote: »
    you can attach a key to your shoelaces. Unlace your shoes a few holes each side, thread through your key, then lace up again. It won't come out unless your laces open and unlace themelves

That is inspired!

That is inspired!

Well, certain races still have timing tags that are attached in this very way. Waterford half this weekend being one. so it's a familiar enough concept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

RayCun wrote: »

Don't think I'd be trying this with a car key, Most of them split in the middle to refit battery. and the immobiler chip is in there too. You could end up with a very hefty bill if it splt on a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I've only used this method once or twice, I have an arm wallet for carrying my stuff most of the time

Don't think I'd be trying this with a car key, Most of them split in the middle to refit battery. and the immobiler chip is in there too. You could end up with a very hefty bill if it splt on a run.

That's where having an older car pays off. The key doesn't cost a f*cking grand to replace.

For regular keys, not the card type, I just wear them as a ring using one of those metal keyring loops and the key itself just rests in my hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Most of my shorts have a little pocket just inside the waistband to nicely fits my car key. Have a great pair of Ronhill shirts with a few pockets on the back. Failing all that, I just take the car key off the key ring and just stash is somewhere near the car or under the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

I have 2 of these http://www.y-fumble.com/ for carrying gels, phone, cards, keys and cash. It's like having an extra pocket and you don't have to readjust every 2 minutes and you forget you have them on. Well worth the £7 IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

Is it normal to have inflammation when returning from injury? My physio gave me the go ahead to get back running after a 3 month injury with a calf tear. It's only sore now when I'm rolling it, or press down hard. Doing strength training as well to get it stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

libelula wrote: »
    One bank card, €20, and your car key will fit in a pocket very easily. And will more than cover emergencies.

same, usually put a 20 or bank card in my phone case, in between the phone and the case itself, and other than that I normally just need a car key, that goes in a zip pocket in my shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I agree with where you're coming from, with both feet being quite flat.

I don't think I'm really in the position to say yay or nay because I've never had such problems to give you my experience. I suppose the only way of knowing is trying them. But wouldn't you then need to wear different footwear so the affects of the insoles are negated or accentuated by the shoes, e.g. if you're an over pronator you'd need to put them in neutral shoes?

I had PF, I had it for the first 7 months of the year and it was horrendous, that first foot out of bed in the morning was agony. I did the golf ball, the frozen water bottle and all the other tricks, but thats just treating the inflamation.
    I went and got my running form analysed in a workshop, and I've been PF free since.
    I'm far from injury free though, I've gone from PF to ITBS!!! :eek:. I'm about to take a few weeks off running to work on core strength in the gym. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

Yes, I have seen the same plenty of times. I usually run in the morning but on the few occasions when I went out in the evening instead I noticed that the run feels easier and invariably I run faster than I would do in the morning for the same perceived effort.

My HRM also tells me that the figures are usually slightly better in the evening (i.e. faster pace for the same HR) but that difference is very small.

Yeah - it's bizarre. Need more races to happen in the evening so :)
    Pretty sure it's not fuelling cos I've had the same experience on days where I've had feck all to eat too.
    I reckon some of it is psychological i.e. I'm normally just that bit more relaxed in the evening.

Advertisement