Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

aoboa wrote: »
    Yeah - it's bizarre. Need more races to happen in the evening so :)
    Pretty sure it's not fuelling cos I've had the same experience on days where I've had feck all to eat too.
    I reckon some of it is psychological i.e. I'm normally just that bit more relaxed in the evening.

I might be wrong of course but I think there is a physiological explanation for it rather than a purely psychological one.

I've heard that it takes a couple of hours for the body to rev up after sleeping and if you go running early in the morning your system isn't up to speed yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What should I wear for winter running, or rather in what order - wicking/merino or the other way around?

What should I wear for winter running, or rather in what order - wicking/merino or the other way around?

In Ireland? The same as you wear during summer for most of the time.

The only time I ever wore 2 layers was when it got colder than -5 degrees during the Big Freeze a few years ago (singlet as base layer, long sleeve t-shirt over that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Long sleeve tops for me, but if the weather suits I have some light but breathable jackets. For example yesterday in that weather I did a slow 4mile with a rain jacket over a top and my upper abdomen was cold to the touch when I got back.

It's best to find out what suits yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I have a Canterbury long-sleeved baselayer thingy top. I wear it maybe once a year. It's really never cold enough here. A long-sleeved tech top is usually all you need. I overheat easily so I'd rather start out a bit cold and warm up. Once you have gloves you're sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Enduro

Wicking under the Merino, if that was your choice. I usually wear a base layer under a waterproof jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Soups123

I'm looking on advice for what runners to buy for 10k running? Budget about €100-€150, was thinking straight forward pair of asics?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Go into store and try a few pairs on, try amphibian king, run hub etc. They stock good runners and will do gait analysis as well in case you need something with a bit of support.

Soups123 wrote: »
    I'm looking on advice for what runners to buy for 10k....

For 10k, you can have them painted in real gold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Oh god...this sounds so feckin stupid...but if you have a 5 mile plan that says do x @ 5k pace...why is it the 5k pace that its asking you to do, if youre training for a 5 mile? And is it your current 5k pace you're supposed to do, or the 5k pace you hope to run at? In a 5 mile??? :confused:

And then it says tempo runs should be near but not faster than race pace....how near race pace?

Is a tempo run the same as a steady run?

I should know all this by now!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Oh god...this sounds so feckin stupid...but if you have a 5 mile plan that says do x @ 5k pace...why is it the 5k pace that its asking you to do, if youre training for a 5 mile? And is it your current 5k pace you're supposed to do, or the 5k pace you hope to run at? In a 5 mile??? :confused:

And then it says tempo runs should be near but not faster than race pace....how near race pace?

Is a tempo run the same as a steady run?
    5k pace should be the pace you ran your most recent 5k race at. If you haven't run a 5k recently, then you can use a pace calculator to calculate an equivalent pace. Say for example your target is 35 minutes for 5 miles, if you put this figure into MacMillan's pace calculator it gives you an equivalent 5k of 21:06 (6:48/mile or 4:13/km). Given that you are training for a 5 mile race and not a 5k, you could feasibly drop a few seconds (say for example (6:55/mile or 4:17/km). The pace should feel pretty tough.

Tempo pace is faster than steady pace. If you use that Macmillan link above, enter your 5 mile target and then click on 'Training Paces', it'll provide suggested figures for tempo pace/tempo intervals (as well as steady pace, if you want to compare).

Excellent. I forgot about the calculators. Thank you.

Strava - Occasionally I'll plod around a field at 9:30pm in the wind and rain at jogging pace, and when I get home the watch will auto-upload the run to GC and Strava. 20 minutes later, some randomer from California, Calcutta or Cairo with stick up a 'Kudos'. I've joined a couple of Irish Strava groups, don't sign up for challenges, so how are these people locating my runs? Is there some form of random run locator? Is there a live stream of Strava uploads or something? Or are these users just snooping around various Strava groups and latching on to random workouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Strava - Occasionally I'll plod around a field at 9:30pm in the wind and rain at jogging pace, and when I get home the watch will auto-upload the run to GC and Strava. 20 minutes later, some randomer from California, Calcutta or Cairo with stick up a 'Kudos'. I've joined a couple of Irish Strava groups, don't sign up for challenges, so how are these people locating my runs? Is there some form of random run locator? Is there a live stream of Strava uploads or something? Or are these users just snooping around various Strava groups and latching on to random workouts?

1. You are a member of a couple of large open groups (Marathon Talk and Reddit).
    2. All the groups have a weekly leader board.
    3. Other group members can view your position on the leader board and click into your run (time of day is usually absent).
    4. If the group is open anyone can view your run.
    5. Depending on your privacy settings someone can at least click and view your longest run (week to date / previous week).
    6. Randomers give you kudos in the hope that you will reciprocate.

Edit
    5b. Can view a lot of member activity from the recent activity tab.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    1. You are a member of a couple of large open groups (Marathon Talk and Reddit).
    2. All the groups have a weekly leader board.
    3. Other group members can view your position on the leader board and click into your run (time of day is usually absent).
    4. If the group is open anyone can view your run.
    5. Depending on your privacy settings someone can at least click and view your longest run (week to date / previous week).

Edit
    5b. Can view a lot of member activity from the recent activity tab.

I think that bit is the crucial one. Stop running so much and you'll fade back into obscurity!

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

It's a Virtuous Circle of Back-slapping.

Cheers. Removed myself from the more widespread communities (which is a shame, as some of them produce/highlight some good content/addons for Strava).
    davedanon wrote:
    It's a Virtuous Circle of Back-slapping.
    You could have gone with more gratuitous terminology/euphemisms (Tunney would have gone straight for the reach-around/circle jerk). Getting a little harmonious in the run up to the holidays?!

Cheers. Removed myself from the more widespread communities (which is a shame, as some of them produce/highlight some good content/addons for Strava).

You could have gone with more gratuitous terminology/euphemisms (Tunney would have gone straight for the reach-around/circle jerk). Getting a little harmonious in the run up to the holidays?!

What can I say? I'm a sweet guy.

Besides, you're not allowed f*cking swear on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I think I've given you kudos a few times, sorry about that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

If someone has a faster 5k time than me, are they taking drugs?

I'm a rocket, 5k time is 23min, no one could be faster, they are obviously big fat cheaters.

• Advertisement

If someone has a faster 5k time than me, are they taking drugs?

I'm a rocket, 5k time is 23min, no one could be faster, they are obviously big fat cheaters.
    How could it possibly be anything else? You'd better not run any faster though. That'd be a clear sign of cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

How could it possibly be anything else? You'd better not run any faster though. That'd be a clear sign of cheating.

If this is true it sounds like I'm going to start cheating some time in 2016, maybe even in the next few months. I'm not even sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I'd be guilty of a bit of random kudosing on Strava. And I'm from Cork, so maybe its just a thing people from places beginning with C do. As to why, I have no idea. Its like some sort of weird compulsion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think that bit is the crucial one. Stop running so much and you'll fade back into obscurity!

I've been getting randomer kudos from far flung places, often California or Israel, for slow 1 mile warm up jogs. People are weird.

I'd be guilty of a bit of random kudosing on Strava. And I'm from Cork, so maybe its just a thing people from places beginning with C do. As to why, I have no idea. Its like some sort of weird compulsion.
    Don't get me wrong. I love a bit of random kudosing. Particularly from runners from cities beginning with the letter 'C' (except for those Cavan bar-stewards). I was just wondering how someone from outer-Concordia lands on a profile page for someone on the other side of the world, strutting a recovery run around a wet and windy field in Cabinteely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

robinph wrote: »
    I've been getting randomer kudos from far flung places, often California or Israel, for slow 1 mile warm up jogs. People are weird.

Yes, but if I didn't kudos your warmup run then all the thumbs up signs on my activity feed wouldn't be orange. That'd make me twitchy. (not really)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

some randomer from California, Calcutta or Cairo with stick up a 'Kudos'.
    I'd be guilty of a bit of random kudosing on Strava. And I'm from Cork,
    wet and windy field in Cabinteely.

mystery solved

I have some randommer following me on strava...i think shes gone now. But every time i deleted her she followed me right back! Would leave it a few days delete her...5 mins later got a notification she was following me again. How did she know i deleted her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

I have some randommer following me on strava...i think shes gone now. But every time i deleted her she followed me right back! Would leave it a few days delete her...5 mins later got a notification she was following me again. How did she know i deleted her?
    Gets an email when you kick her off.

A friend of mine, girl, has a strava account but has only done like a 2x2mile walks or something earlier in the year, during the summer. She got followed by some muscle bound Hulk from Arizona the other day. He had to do some looking to come across her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I don't get why you can block people individually, but if you join a group you cannot block specific people in the group.

Advertisement