Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Why are you guys joining a social network in the first place when you're getting scared as soon as someone starts to follow you? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Don't the privacy settings lock everything down if you want?

Been awhile since I was in there but I remember locking it down like Fort Knocks...Ya had to accept a follower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I bet people from California, Calcutta, Cork, Cornwall and Cabinteely wish they could give out cudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Jesus what rock have I been hiding under.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

ger664 wrote: »
    Jesus what rock have I been hiding under.

Maybe you were busy running ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Don't get me wrong. I love a bit of random kudosing. Particularly from runners from cities beginning with the letter 'C' (except for those Cavan bar-stewards). I was just wondering how someone from outer-Concordia lands on a profile page for someone on the other side of the world, strutting a recovery run around a wet and windy field in Cabinteely.

It's happened to me a few times (not with you though ;) ). I've given accidental kudos when I hit the thumbs ups by accident as I scroll down a group on my phone (bloody thing is on the right hand side !). I haven't found a way to undo it like you can remove your 'thanks' here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Why are you guys joining a social network in the first place when you're getting scared as soon as someone starts to follow you? :confused:

I only joined so the person who was helping me at the time could see my stats. I dont know much about strava settings so i didnt realise randommers could see you and as it has maps of where you live etc i wasnt too keen having her on it. Now I just use it for my own curiosity and am happy enough keeping myself to myself on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Don't get me wrong. I love a bit of random kudosing. Particularly from runners from cities beginning with the letter 'C' (except for those Cavan bar-stewards). I was just wondering how someone from outer-Concordia lands on a profile page for someone on the other side of the world, strutting a recovery run around a wet and windy field in Cabinteely.

I received one from someone in the Caymans I think it was after I grabbed 2nd in a local segment. After a bit of investigation I figured that they must work for some multinational that has an Irish office local to me as for a while they used to run the same segment as me (the bastard still has 1st, I'll rob it from him in the spring) and all their subsequent runs have been elsewhere around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Louise40

Signed up to do dungarvan 10 mile race. Training going ok. Due to the bad weather I have been doing my speed sessions on treadmill. I do intervals eg 4x6 1 min recovery and a tempo run. I am doing my tempo run at 1 per cent incline and set at 8 min mile pace. I m up to 32 min at 8 min mile. I try and run 5 times a week but in the last few weeks it's 4 times. I also do a lomg run 9 or 10 miles around 9-915 min mile pace and I also do 1 or 2 4-5 easy mile runs. I m hoping to do the race at 8 min/805 min per mile. Am I on track? Would love to hear you suggestions! Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

Any tips for not piling on the pounds over the Christmas period?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 FTimon

A friend of mine gets cold/shivers after a long run - she has just started in the last year and runs for over an hour (not sure how fast). Is this normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

FTimon wrote: »
    A friend of mine gets cold/shivers after a long run - she has just started in the last year and runs for over an hour (not sure how fast). Is this normal.

I've certainly experienced that on occasion especially if I hang around in my gear when I stop and don't put on any extra layers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Any tips for not piling on the pounds over the Christmas period?

Just get out for a run. I'll have a big meal on the 24th...... nice 20k easy job on the morning of the big day. Chuck the bird in the oven first so you're in the good books.

26th, repeat......

On New Year's Day I always get out for something. Maybe try something different for a bit of a laugh. Few years ago I went to a local track and did a 1500 metre time trial (Don't ask)

I do eat and drink al to around this time but I do get out for a fair bit of running too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I only joined so the person who was helping me at the time could see my stats. I dont know much about strava settings so i didnt realise randommers could see you and as it has maps of where you live etc i wasnt too keen having her on it. Now I just use it for my own curiosity and am happy enough keeping myself to myself on it.
    Strava lets you set up privacy zones so people can't see your home

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Looking for some advice. I've been getting a fair amount of pain in my foot, quite hard to explain but not sure what is causing it.

Should a physio be a first port of call or should I go to a doctor or even to Santry Sports Clinic?

It's kind of at the top of the foot just below the shin. I think it could be anything from tight fitting shoes to something more serious. Comes and goes a bit but lately it seems to be a lot worse. What do you think?

I'm thinking a physio might be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

adrian522 wrote:
    It's kind of at the top of the foot just below the shin. I think it could be anything from tight fitting shoes to something more serious. Comes and goes a bit but lately it seems to be a lot worse. What do you think?

Is it sore at the laces?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Not really, further up along I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

adrian522 wrote:
    Not really, further up along I guess.

Can't help so as I had a spams in Anterior Tib which manifests in foot pain at laces. I went to a sports therapist and he dry needled it and perfect since.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

What is the correct way to clean/wash a pair of runners. I always run on grass but these days its more like a swamp which means my runners are manky. Is it ok to put them in the washing machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I wouldn't recommend the washing machine, it can damage both your runners and your machine. Scrape the worst of it off, bang them off a wall/the ground, then rinse and scrub under a hose/tap.

To dry them, stuff them full of newspaper and put them in a warm room (don't put them on/near a radiator, if they're too warm the glue in them will melt, and they might warp)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

28064212 wrote: »
    To dry them, stuff them full of newspaper and put them in a warm room (don't put them on/near a radiator, if they're too warm the glue in them will melt, and they might warp)

*quickly takes runners from under radiator* thanks! I put them under the rad regularly... I thought stuffing them with paper stretched them though? I guess this is why two pairs (or in this weather, very many pairs) are recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Firedance wrote: »
    I thought stuffing them with paper stretched them though?
    Well, I wouldn't go trying to fit an entire Sunday Times into one shoe, but a couple of balled-up sheets would be fine unless you're really forcing them in (which is totally unnecessary)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Well, I wouldn't go trying to fit an entire Sunday Times into one shoe,

:D yiz are very posh in your house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

I wouldn't recommend the washing machine, it can damage both your runners and your machine. Scrape the worst of it off, bang them off a wall/the ground, then rinse and scrub under a hose/tap.

Firedance wrote: »
    *quickly takes runners from under radiator* thanks! I put them under the rad regularly... I thought stuffing them with paper stretched them though? I guess this is why two pairs (or in this weather, very many pairs) are recommended.

Ahhhhh ... just made a dash to the radiator in the office, fortunately they don't turn the heat up too high in here! (that pair had been there for days).

The ones at home got another coat of muck this morning, definitely time for a session under the tap.

Can you not just buy a new pair? :)

If you have 2 or 3 in the rotation you don't need to wear them when they are wet, I've never really had a need for execeeive (or any) washing of runners.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Can you not just buy a new pair? :)

If you have 2 or 3 in the rotation you don't need to wear them when they are wet, I've never really had a need for execeeive (or any) washing of runners.

Yeah, I do rotate all right. I put on a pair today that were dry but stiff from mud and the laces were stiff also. I was tempted to fire them in the washing machine after my run.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dubsontour

What is the correct way to clean/wash a pair of runners. I always run on grass but these days its more like a swamp which means my runners are manky. Is it ok to put them in the washing machine?

A good tip I came across was to stuff your runners with a few of the dryer sheets.
    They absorb the moisture and give the runners a nice fresh smell.
    Really works.

dubsontour wrote: »
    A good tip I came across was to stuff your runners with a few of the dryer sheets.
    They absorb the moisture and give the runners a nice fresh smell.
    Really works.

What are "dryer sheets"?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Anybody got the dates for the race series next year..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Dub13 wrote: »
    Anybody got the dates for the race series next year..?

Dates are up on the DCM website, Irish Runner 5 mile is on 12th of June '16.

Advertisement