Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    For the record, I did not change in the car with TbL! I reckon only for each other that day in the conditions we would've bailed if going solo.
    I'd be inclined to try the run before sleep if possible.
    'Motivational recordings' can be provided if necessary;)

Most definitely yes to the motivational recordings :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I can also highly recommend Bulmers for helping with the "lubing up" process :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

After a long flight you should get back to local time zone sleeping and eating pattern as soon as possible. So if flight lands at 5am, sleep as much as possible on the plane. When you arrive you could refuel and have a short nap, then get up and do the long run at whatever is your usual time e.g. 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

Anyone aware of any 10k races in Dublin or the surrounding area this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Anyone aware of any 10k races in Dublin or the surrounding area this weekend?

http://gorun.ie/site/event_list_filtered.php?type=3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

There's a Garmin Forerunner 910XT for €229 was €359 in Harvey Norman. Is this a good bargain? I have a Garmin F10 at the moment but I need a new one. Just wondering should I go for a F15 or F220 which are cheaper and grand for what I do, or go for a really good watch, with good battery life and all the added extras for a little bit more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Was racing this morning and found the cold air played havoc with my breathing. I was wearing a light t shirt and didn't feel too cold once I got going, but my lungs were burning towards the end (more so than usual). Any one else experience this and any tips on how to combat it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

What sort of price range would a race clock fall into? I heard 8000 mentioned recently and thought it seemed very expensive,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

ultrapercy wrote: »
    What sort of price range would a race clock fall into? I heard 8000 mentioned recently and thought it seemed very expensive,

Seems expensive alright.....

here maybe??

They only deliver to UK and I don't know if parcel motel or the likes would accommodate, but sure everyone knows someone over there to send it on... For the price difference I'm sure you could head over yourself....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Over the past 4 weeks I've been building mileage and reintroducing intervals after a few months of injury curtailed running. I've done 11 X 1 min off 60 secs recovery, 8 X 2 min off 60 and last week did 6 X 3 min off 60. I'm a little unsure what way to approach this week... Reduce the interval length and increase volume (10 X 2 off 60), increase the interval and increase recovery (5 X 4 off 90) or go for 6 X 3 off 60 again with a 5/10 sec increase in pace. Last week I found them tough, to the point of wanting to take extra recovery between interval 3 & 4 but didn't. At the end I felt like I could have done one more, but would have blown a head gasket doing it. Just want to keep progression going, but unsure how...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭aero2k

Was racing this morning and found the cold air played havoc with my breathing. I was wearing a light t shirt and didn't feel too cold once I got going, but my lungs were burning towards the end (more so than usual). Any one else experience this and any tips on how to combat it?

I don't think it makes much difference what you're wearing, cold air burns, particularly if you're sensitive. The only think I've found helpful is keeping my mouth shut and breathing through my nose - not much help if you're racing, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Help please, without going through me for a short cut.

I'm hoping to do Cork marathon on the 06/06 and using the infamous meno plan. As the plan stands on the 28/05 there is a 12 mile easy run. I've been asked to do the Ring of Beara cycle Kenmare on this date. Completely nuts, driving and cycling, or actually doable?

I did the ROK cycle this year and found it grand, numbness went after a few days and only issue I remember having.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Do you plan to do the cycle and the run? OR replace the run with the cycle?

How long is the cycle?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

aquinn wrote: »

I'm hoping to do Cork marathon on the 06/06 and using the infamous meno plan. As the plan stands on the 28/05 there is a 12 mile easy run. I've been asked to do the Ring of Beara cycle Kenmare on this date. Completely nuts, driving and cycling, or actually doable?

I did the ROK cycle this year and found it grand, numbness went after a few days and only issue I remember having.

You'll be fine. Cycling is very good for running, I'm using cycling as part of my marathon training for Rotterdam. You could use the long cycle that week as your long run and do a medium long run instead. Thinking of heading over for it myself for the craic. :)

Probably a different answer to what most of the pure runners will give. :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

aquinn wrote: »

I wouldn't even consider it. I had a look at the route profile and considering you'll be knee deep in marathon training I'd imagine you won't have any decent bike work done. It's a hilly profile so it would have quite an impact on your thighs in particular so why take the risk just a week before your marathon.

A big no from me.

You'll be fine. Cycling is very good for running, I'm using cycling as part of my marathon training for Rotterdam. You could use the long cycle that week as your long run and do a medium long run instead. Thinking of heading over for it myself for the craic. :)

It's a week before the marathon!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Gavlor wrote: »
    I wouldn't even consider it. I had a look at the route profile and considering you'll be knee deep in marathon training I'd imagine you won't have any decent bike work done. It's a hilly profile so it would have quite an impact on your thighs in particular so why take the risk just a week before your marathon.

A big no from me.

You're absolutely right, I didn't spot that when I read her post first, just saw 12 easy miles. Absolutely no way should you do it one week before your goal marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

But everyone here does marathon cycles, no....?

Yes, not the answer I had expected at all but sure you'd do anything to tempt people to the darkside. Hopes were increasing until Galvor wrecked it. So close, thanks RQ.

A big no from me.

It was you who said not to bother with the ROK as it wasn't really a challenge and you were right. I only considered the lack of actually getting out on the bike after I posted. A 4 mile daily commute won't really assist.
    Firedance wrote: »
    You're absolutely right, I didn't spot that when I read her post first, just saw 12 easy miles. Absolutely no way should you do it one week before your goal marathon.

So close, sake!

Thanks all, I appreciate the responses.

Sniff, no ringofberracycleso.

• Advertisement

yaboya1 wrote: »

Not like this one it seems P. Oh well.

Fair comment. I didn't clock that part.

Fair comment. I didn't clock that part.

Just admit that you were wrong and we can all move on.

Just admit that you were wrong and we can all move on.

:D

I'm a gobsh*te, so I'd still do the cycle. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Question on interval training.

During recovery time do you walk, jog slowly or rest.
    How long of a recovery time do people take. I have been told half the time of the run should be recovery time. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Limerick91 wrote: »

How long of a recovery time do people take. I have been told half the time of the run should be recovery time. Any thoughts?

As always with these questions, "it depends" - it depends on what you are trying to achieve.
    As an example, last night I was doing 600m reps at around mile pace to work on my speed endurance coming up to indoor track season. For this I was taking around 5 mins walk/rest - almost full recovery.
    At the same time, there were other runners doing 600m reps at somewhere around their 10K race pace in preparation for 10K/10 mile races. They were doing 200m jogs for their recovery.
    We were all doing 600m 'intervals' but in a different way to achieve different results.

Actually this was one of the first questions I asked on this forum, over 7 years ago and I got some great answers from the knowledgeable posters of the day (Racing Flat and Tingle/Thirtyfoot):
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56154463
    One comment stands out:
    I think it was Peter Coe who wrote that the recovery time should be the minimum time needed to allow you to complete the number of repetitions in the desired time.

For more about manipulating the variables in interval sets see:
    http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2016/01/losing-imagination-why-we-all-use-same.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Limerick91 wrote: »

It really depends what you are trying to achieve out of the session, some are attempting to recreate race conditions, rep at race pace, with short recovery (hr doesn't recover greatly), others are aimed at form and efficiency so a longer standing recovery would be preferred.

So what's the purpose of the interval session?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

When I run my strides are quite short but most of the group I'm with flick their legs back a lot further.
    Any advice on this? I think it's called cadence

Gael23 wrote: »
    When I run my strides are quite short but most of the group I'm with flick their legs back a lot further.
    Any advice on this? I think it's called cadence

You've already answered your own question there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

yaboya1 wrote: »

Only if it's on the Dublin bike scheme ;)

Advertisement