Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Gavlor wrote: »
    You've already answered your own question there.

Which way is better was what I was trying to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Gael23 wrote: »
    When I run my strides are quite short but most of the group I'm with flick their legs back a lot further.
    Any advice on this? I think it's called cadence

Cadence in running terms is how steps you take per minute. A quick snappy (and sometimes short) running cadence is a good thing, it means less ground contact time. There is no perfect cadence but if you aim for around 180 or so steps per minute you can't go wrong. Don't worry too much about flicking your legs back, that can depend on the speed your running and forcing it will not help.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Limerick91

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    It really depends what you are trying to achieve out of the session, some are attempting to recreate race conditions, rep at race pace, with short recovery (hr doesn't recover greatly), others are aimed at form and efficiency so a longer standing recovery would be preferred.

So what's the purpose of the interval session?

Well the intervals are at about 80 secs per mile pace faster than my planned marathon pace, so I suppose form and efficiency is the aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Gael23 wrote: »
    When I run my strides are quite short but most of the group I'm with flick their legs back a lot further.

Your legs should not be flicking back at all, they should be lifting up and then forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

How come other people are able to run on frost and ice but I can't?
    I just slip and fall.
    Am I just a wuss? But like, I just can't do it. I tried! And I fell!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

same, I'm ok on grass in this weather but not on the roads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Depends on footwear and gait perhaps. I'm generally fine but I'm a forefoot striker generally...if you're a heel striker you're supposedly more likely to slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Ososlo wrote: »
    I just slip and fall.

Nah I'd say that's pretty common. Sure I had to walk funny this morning to just stay on the safe side. But like, I styled it out, made it look like I walk that way just because I'm a badass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I think its a stride thing? I've a shortish stride generally but shorten it even more on the icy paths although I wouldn't do any kind of faster pace stuff, its like an ice rink out there at the moment.

I was actually going to ask a question on footwear for icy conditions, are there 'winter' runners or anything that provides a better grip? I have a pair of those yak trax things but think they are more for snow & ice rather than just ice on concrete?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I just slip and fall.

That's funny, I was out trying to run yesterday evening and failing because I kept having to stop and go around slippy patches and I was wondering how you would get your training done in this weather as you go out twice a day.

I've such a fear of falling now that I'm walking on the frost like a lil old lady because I've fallen so many times while trying to run on it. I've heard that putting an old pair of socks over your runners helps with grip but I get such fear every time I see sparkles on the ground now that I don't have the confidence to try it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Firedance wrote: »
    I think its a stride thing? I've a shortish stride generally but shorten it even more on the icy paths although I wouldn't do any kind of faster pace stuff, its like an ice rink out there at the moment.

I was actually going to ask a question on footwear for icy conditions, are there 'winter' runners or anything that provides a better grip? I have a pair of those yak trax things but think they are more for snow & ice rather than just ice on concrete?

actually have just found these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nordic-Grip-Ice-Gripper-Running-Jogging/dp/B008B7DIH6

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I'm attempting my first lunch time run today. I'll be heading for Stephens Green or Merrion Square. Does anyone have any preference?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I just slip and fall.

I'm in the wuss camp too, Put the gear on this morning but as soon as I saw the condition of the footpaths I decided not to even try run on them, They were really bad in north dublin this morning and I doubt they will get much better througout the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Dodge wrote: »
    I'm attempting my first lunch time run today. I'll be heading for Stephens Green or Merrion Square. Does anyone have any preference?

Merrion Square is quieter and probably better for a run around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Merrion Square is quieter and probably better for a run around.

Thanks. Went for Merrion Square. One other runner and a few people walking around. Very quiet in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

RayCun wrote: »
    Your legs should not be flicking back at all, they should be lifting up and then forward

There seems to be a lot of flicking going on with these lads, we should let them know it's wrong :D

BGFmidstance-300x169.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

dna_leri wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of flicking going on with these lads, we should let them know it's wrong :D

BGFmidstance-300x169.jpg

That's more less the motion most of my group make. But I get tired quite quickly if I do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

BGFmidstance-300x169.jpg

They're running at 4-minute pace (at a guess)!

They are flicking their legs back purely because of the momentum. Anyone running slower than that should not try to replicate that form. Deliberately flicking the legs back like that would be a highly inefficient running gait.

BGFmidstance-300x169.jpg

Bunch of chancers :)
    How much forward lift do they have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

They're running at 4-minute pace (at a guess)!

They are flicking their legs back purely because of the momentum. Anyone running slower than that should not try to replicate that form. Deliberately flicking the legs back like that would be a highly inefficient running gait.

Over 4:30 /mi - from Great North Run (half marathon) 2013.
    I do not see how the "momentum" would be significantly different at say 6 min /mile. I disagree that you need to be at 4 min mile pace before running like that. Maybe if you are shuffling at 12 min /mile. However we should be cautious about trying to change just one aspect of gait in a connected system of movement.

An extract from Science of Running here:
    Kicking your butt:
    When athlete’s sprint or run pretty quickly, most have a high back kick where the foot folds up and almost hits their butt as it passes underneath them. This is a good thing because it increases the angular velocity of the lower leg. But we don’t get there by thinking about actively kicking ourselves in the butt…Why?
    Because the reason the foot goes close to the butt is because of the inertial force that the thigh exerts on the lower leg. Once the thigh is extended as far back as it’s going to go, it then shoots forward. Well, since the thigh and lower leg are linked, the thigh changes directions a tad “sooner” and moves faster (because it’s closer to the rotation point…the hip) then it has a profound effect on what the lower leg does. The thigh essentially “drags” the lower leg with it. The faster the thigh moves, the more it “drags” it. So what’s the effect that we see? The faster the thigh moves forward, the more the lower leg folds up to the butt. It’s simply an inertial force.

RayCun wrote: »
    Bunch of chancers :)
    How much forward lift do they have?

Enough
    BGFtoeoff.jpg

this is interesting, here's the video those stills are from

One of the things I've been told repeatedly is not to teach the heel flick running drill, that action shouldn't be encouraged, that running should include no backwards pull of the foot. The standing version of the action would be to lift the heel in line with the other leg, with the knee coming forward, rather than bend the knee in place and lift the leg behind.

But there's a definite backlift in that video, and this article says this was something Salazar is deliberately training in Farah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Found two pairs of good socks during the week and couldn't figure out why I never wore them. It was only when I washed them I realised why. There's the remnants of compeed embedded in them from Gaelforce one year.

Anyone know a good way to remove it? I'm thinking freezer but I'm sure others have had the same issue.

Has anyone got a Garmin or Strava link for EOI Lusk marathon on 27 Feb? It's not showing on website.
    Tia!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

adrian522 wrote: »

Super! Thanks A!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

adrian522 wrote: »
    Super! Thanks A!

Knowing that area reasonably well I would imagine that's quite a hilly course, not that that'll bother you ossoslo.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Knowing that area reasonably well I would imagine that's quite a hilly course, not that that'll bother you ossoslo.

Dunno about it not being a bother to me, but it will be good training for Connemara!!!
    Thanks!
    Yer man faded quite badly though :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I'm working down in Cork city from tomorrow to Friday, staying in the Metropole in the city centre. Anyone know of anywhere I can go for a run that's well lit and safe other than around the city streets.

Advertisement