Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Casey78 wrote: »
    I'm working down in Cork city from tomorrow to Friday, staying in the Metropole in the city centre. Anyone know of anywhere I can go for a run that's well lit and safe other than around the city streets.

I don't I'm afraid but please report back on the Metropole as looking to stay there if I make Cork Marathon. Hey E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

I'm working down in Cork city from tomorrow to Friday, staying in the Metropole in the city centre. Anyone know of anywhere I can go for a run that's well lit and safe other than around the city streets.

Starting around the Mardyke and heading out Carrigrohane rd. and back is well lit and the footpaths are good. It's a long enough stretch of straight road after leaving the Mardyke (about 2.5-3 miles iirc and about 4 total from the Mardyke)but you won't have to do a lot of stop start crossing the road and it's out of the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

adrian522 wrote: »

We should all give Senan a load of Kudos - might freak him out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Starting around the Mardyke and heading out Carrigrohane rd. and back is well lit and the footpaths are good. It's a long enough stretch of straight road after leaving the Mardyke (about 2.5-3 miles iirc and about 4 total from the Mardyke)but you won't have to do a lot of stop start crossing the road and it's out of the city centre.

Yeah, once you pass the Christy Ring bridge the quay is quiet enough. Keep running up the river and cross before you come to the hill up towards Sundays Well.Turn right after the Mercy Hospital (is it still called that?) Just keep going West till the lights run out! Then turn around and run back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Itziger wrote: »
    Yeah, once you pass the Christy Ring bridge the quay is quiet enough. Keep running up the river and cross before you come to the hill up towards Sundays Well.Turn right after the Mercy Hospital (is it still called that?) Just keep going West till the lights run out! Then turn around and run back.

Nice run alright, and definitely quiet traffic wise. To be honest I run around the fringes of the city centre all the time and don't really have an issue with traffic. Also (not as nice a run as suggested) if you head in the opposite direction, down the lower road, past the train station, out past Silversprings hotel and down the Tivoli dual carriageway until the roundabout and back again. Its about 6 miles in total and flat. If you don't mind going round in circle you could head out to the lough and do laps of that - its a 1km path around the outside and about 1.5 miles from the Metropole. Of course you could always just do hill repeats on Patricks Hill if you feel like a challenge - its just down the end of McCurtain street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

That's my goto spot as well after work at this time of year as it's lit all the way 'til the junction at the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Thanks for all the help. Plenty to go on there.
    I think I'll pass on the hill repeats though lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

I've a race on Sunday so this week is a taper week. I went out today for an easy 3 mile, but my shins were quite sore and I felt a bit leggy. I also have a bit of a cold and sore throat which normally I wouldn't take note of but with the week that's in it I'm paranoid of everything.

I'm due to go out again tomorrow morning for another easy 3 mile. Should I slip it and try get over the cold, or just go for it? I won't be able to get out on Friday and Saturday is the day before, so tomorrow is the last time I'll realistically get out before Sunday.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

For those who've run marathons abroad, have you been able to bring gels through security in carry on bag or do they need to go in checked in luggage?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

Firedance wrote: »
    For those who've run marathons abroad, have you been able to bring gels through security in carry on bag or do they need to go in checked in luggage?

I carried my Kinetica ones in hand luggage for Barca last year.
    They're well under the limit iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I've a race on Sunday so this week is a taper week. I went out today for an easy 3 mile, but my shins were quite sore and I felt a bit leggy. I also have a bit of a cold and sore throat which normally I wouldn't take note of but with the week that's in it I'm paranoid of everything.

I'm due to go out again tomorrow morning for another easy 3 mile. Should I slip it and try get over the cold, or just go for it? I won't be able to get out on Friday and Saturday is the day before, so tomorrow is the last time I'll realistically get out before Sunday.

Cheers

An easy 3 mile will be little benefit to you at this stage. If you're not feeling well, skip it I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I put mine into a clear plastic bag, just like the toothpaste, and never had any bother

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

pac_man wrote: »
    Why is the half marathon not an Olympic event?

Probably the same reason the 6k or 8k or 300m is not a Olympic event, there needs to be a cutoff somewhere. And you could say the 1/2 is more popular than those other distances, but that's really only the case among recreational runners. 6-8k are very common distances in the US especially in cross country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Registering for the marathon...is this a gimmick?

iTab Medal Offer

Your SSE Airtricity Dublin Marathon medal has been designed to fit an iTaB. Collect your medal at the finish line and your iTaB will arrive in the post a few days later. The iTaB will be engraved with your name and finish time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It looks like this:
    iTaB.jpg

The centre part (with your time) is posted out to you a few weeks after the marathon. It has a sticky back and you just press it on to the space for it. Gimmick? Up to you

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've just had them loose in my hand luggage before. They never get noticed, and neither do the actually "dangerous" looking things that I have in my hand luggage such as syringes and drugs in glass vials.

They take far more interest in the half empty bottle of water that you are drinking from as you approach the scanner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

robinph wrote: »
    the actually "dangerous" looking things that I have in my hand luggage such as syringes and drugs in glass vials.

Mo! It's you!

I'm doing an 8k tomorrow, and I'm wondering what sort of time to go for. I have only done one race previously, and I've mainly been training for 5k recently.

I did a tempo run last week as part of my 5k training, which consisted of a 3k warmup and 3 k cooldown, with 5k @4.20 min/km in the middle. I wasn't at full tilt doing this, but it was tough enough at parts. For the 8k tomorrow, I was thinking of maybe aiming for 33.59, which would be 4:15min/km. Is this realistic? I know one tempo run is little to go on, but I'm just looking for a second opinion really. I've also been doing long runs (~16k) and intervals (12*400m at about 3.30-3.40 min/km).

I'm doing an 8k tomorrow, and I'm wondering what sort of time to go for. I have only done one race previously, and I've mainly been training for 5k recently.

I did a tempo run last week as part of my 5k training, which consisted of a 3k warmup and 3 k cooldown, with 5k @4.20 min/km in the middle. I wasn't at full tilt doing this, but it was tough enough at parts. For the 8k tomorrow, I was thinking of maybe aiming for 33.59, which would be 4:15min/km. Is this realistic? I know one tempo run is little to go on, but I'm just looking for a second opinion really. I've also been doing long runs (~16k) and intervals (12*400m at about 3.30-3.40 min/km).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

It's an impossible question to answer really without more context.

My advice would be to ditch the watch and run as hard as you can for 8km.

• Advertisement

Clearlier wrote: »
    It's an impossible question to answer really without more context.

My advice would be to ditch the watch and run as hard as you can for 8km.

I thought as much, thanks.

So I gather from your post that the 8k is more like doing a 5k than a 10k in terms of strategy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I thought as much, thanks.

So I gather from your post that the 8k is more like doing a 5k than a 10k in terms of strategy?

No, sorry if I gave you that impression. It depends upon how fit you are as to just how hard you can go over 8k but I'd hazard a guess that you should be thinking about starting off steady and gradually picking up the effort levels to the finish where you can fall over the line. Ideally that would result in a fairly even paced effort. Plan for your effort levels to rise over the course of the race.

Clearlier wrote: »
    No, sorry if I gave you that impression. It depends upon how fit you are as to just how hard you can go over 8k but I'd hazard a guess that you should be thinking about starting off steady and gradually picking up the effort levels to the finish where you can fall over the line. Ideally that would result in a fairly even paced effort. Plan for your effort levels to rise over the course of the race.

No worries. Sure I guess I'll just have to see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

davedanon wrote: »
    Mo! It's you!

Yes, that's it! Have you ever seen robin and Mo in the same room together?

7280602372_1a404c36ee.jpg

Oh. You have. Oops!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Why is Mick Clohisy known as "the claw"? I keep seeing it mentioned in articles about him but it never explains why.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

chickey2 wrote: »
    Why is Mick Clohisy known as "the claw"? I keep seeing it mentioned in articles about him but it never explains why.

I think it's just a play on the 1st part of his 2nd name, CLOH-issey. Kinda sounds like claw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Ah OK. I guess you have to say it in a posh accent! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Hey, just a quick little question: I use Strava for recording my runs. When I look at the pace zone analysis, about half of my run is in the tempo zone, then threshold and then endurance. Not overly sure what each of these zones mean (apart from the time). If someone had the time to let me know what they mean and what zones I should be aiming for on what runs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

pconn062 wrote: »
    I think it's just a play on the 1st part of his 2nd name, CLOH-issey. Kinda sounds like claw.

Munster rugby legend Peter is also known as The Claw, for the same reason.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Hey, just a quick little question: I use Strava for recording my runs. When I look at the pace zone analysis, about half of my run is in the tempo zone, then threshold and then endurance. Not overly sure what each of these zones mean (apart from the time). If someone had the time to let me know what they mean and what zones I should be aiming for on what runs?

It's to do with your HR and how hard you are working.

For your easy runs you should mainly be in the endurance zone. For faster runs, steady runs etc you would be in tempo a bit more.

Threshold is faster again, more like race pace I think.

All of the above would assume you have an accurate max HR in your settings on strava.

Advertisement