Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

adrian522 wrote: »
    It's to do with your HR and how hard you are working.

For your easy runs you should mainly be in the endurance zone. For faster runs, steady runs etc you would be in tempo a bit more.

Threshold is faster again, more like race pace I think.

All of the above would assume you have an accurate max HR in your settings on strava.

Thanks, I don't have a heart rate monitor or garmin, just strava app on the phone. It currently calculates based on my running race time for 5km which I have manually entered. Just wasn't sure which zones I should be paying attention to.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

OK, probably a little less accurate in that case, but same should apply as to the type of run you are doing/what zone you should be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

Are you planning to run tonight? How windy is too windy? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

gawker wrote: »

This word, it means what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

gawker wrote:
    Are you planning to run tonight? How windy is too windy?

As long as you aren't running on a sea wall or dual carriageway you should be grand. Find a nice wide foothpath and don't listen to music as you won't hear warnings if applicable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

gawker wrote: »

It's a good time to follow in the footsteps of cyclists and go segment chasing. I was out for a handy 4 mile lunch time run and when I got home I saw I had my 2nd best time on a particular uphill segment because the wind was at my back the length of it.

I wasn't conniving enough to purposely go out and aim for 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

A couple of ropey-looking trees in Shanganagh had me questioning my sanity last night. Completely alone in the park without a phone too.
    Still, better than the couch, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

I did 8k along the grand canal and back, was lovely. A few other runners out and we all had a look of relief that we were surviving!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

The last few weeks I've only been running 3 days a week: a long run on Sunday(~16k) as well as one easy run (~8-10k) and one session(intervals or tempo run) during the week, usually on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

I want to add an extra easy day in during the week, so would Monday or Tuesday be better? Monday is the day after my long run, but if I go on Tuesday that'd make it three days in a row running. I can't run on Fridays at all, and I want to do the odd parkrun on Saturdays or play football, so they aren't really feasible.

The last few weeks I've only been running 3 days a week: a long run on Sunday(~16k) as well as one easy run (~8-10k) and one session(intervals or tempo run) during the week, usually on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

I want to add an extra easy day in during the week, so would Monday or Tuesday be better? Monday is the day after my long run, but if I go on Tuesday that'd make it three days in a row running. I can't run on Fridays at all, and I want to do the odd parkrun on Saturdays or play football, so they aren't really feasible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

An easy run on Monday would make a lot of sense in that scenario.

tailgunner wrote: »
    An easy run on Monday would make a lot of sense in that scenario.

I thought so alright, just I had read in a few places that you should be resting the day after a long run. I certainly think I'd cope better with the extra day being on Monday rather than Tuesday and running 3 days on the bounce. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I thought so alright, just I had read in a few places that you should be resting the day after a long run. I certainly think I'd cope better with the extra day being on Monday rather than Tuesday and running 3 days on the bounce. Cheers.

you can do an easy run the day after a long run but likewise a recovery run the day after a session is very beneficial so the day after your intervals or tempo would work very well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

I find that doing a short, easy run (40 minutes or so) the day after a long run helps me recover more quickly than taking a rest day.

Firedance wrote: »
    you can do an easy run the day after a long run but likewise a recovery run the day after a session is very beneficial so the day after your intervals or tempo would work very well too.

Grand, thanks. I think I'll my new schedule will look a bit like:

Sunday - Long run, ~16k
    Monday - easy run, ~8-10k
    Wednesday - session, tempo or intervals
    Thursday - easy run, ~8-10k

And then a park run maybe every third Saturday. These weeks I'll cut the long run short depending on how I'm feeling and turn it into more of a recovery run.

Grand, thanks. I think I'll my new schedule will look a bit like:

Sunday - Long run, ~16k
    Monday - easy run, ~8-10k
    Wednesday - session, tempo or intervals
    Thursday - easy run, ~8-10k

And then a park run maybe every third Saturday. These weeks I'll cut the long run short depending on how I'm feeling and turn it into more of a recovery run.

looks good, just make sure Thursday run is recovery, rather than just easy, so another 30-60 sec slower than your easy pace. Also, ease back on your session a bit if your racing a park run flat out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

My max heartrate hit 191 during the last 200m of Raheny 5m last weekend. The effort at that point totally felt like I'd hit max too.
    Doesn't look like a false reading. There was a pretty steady climb in bpm.
    Highest it went before was 182 in a parkrun that I didn't race flat out.
    Do you reckon it's reasonably safe to take the 191 as max if I start training by HR?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

In training I have some thing like one mile x 5 or 1200 meters x6 etc as one of my fast days sessions. I'm told to run it at a 10km pace but I feel I can give it more and knock another 10-15 seconds per Km off that pace. Some people say I should stick to my plan others say push on and try and try and keep my fast days really fast and slow days slow. I think if I and knock 10 to 15 seconds off and keep it consistent there is no problem. What do you guys think? It's over a month till my target race.

I feel like I've been posting a lot here recently, but sure look, we all have to learn somewhere.

I'm thinking of heading to Howth some Sunday morning for my weekend run. I'd be running the trail around the cliffs. I've walked these before and they were quite narrow, we had to go single file and stop at parts to allow oncoming people past. Would I be likely to encounter this on a Sunday morning at around 10am? If so, would going out earlier help much, or is the weekend out in Howth just generally packed?

In training I have some thing like one mile x 5 or 1200 meters x6 etc as one of my fast days sessions. I'm told to run it at a 10km pace but I feel I can give it more and knock another 10-15 seconds per Km off that pace. Some people say I should stick to my plan others say push on and try and try and keep my fast days really fast and slow days slow. I think if I and knock 10 to 15 seconds off and keep it consistent there is no problem. What do you guys think? It's over a month till my target race.

If you feel that way it usually indicates that your 10k pace is 'soft'. What's your target time for the upcoming 10k? I'm preparing for one in mid March and I'll be honest, I sometimes do the 200 or even 400 metre reps a little faster than recommended, but km or mile reps I try to keep to the suggested pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I feel like I've been posting a lot here recently, but sure look, we all have to learn somewhere.

I'm thinking of heading to Howth some Sunday morning for my weekend run. I'd be running the trail around the cliffs. I've walked these before and they were quite narrow, we had to go single file and stop at parts to allow oncoming people past. Would I be likely to encounter this on a Sunday morning at around 10am? If so, would going out earlier help much, or is the weekend out in Howth just generally packed?

The earlier the better, but in this sort of weather at this time of year, I'd say you won't encounter too much traffic at 10 a.m. on a Sunday. The most congested part tends to be the section from Howth towards the summit along the cliffs so do that bit first. The rest of the loop is generally quiet enough, even on a sunny day.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Itziger wrote: »
    If you feel that way it usually indicates that your 10k pace is 'soft'. What's your target time for the upcoming 10k? I'm preparing for one in mid March and I'll be honest, I sometimes do the 200 or even 400 metre reps a little faster than recommended, but km or mile reps I try to keep to the suggested pace.
    Thanks for the advice. My target time is 39:59. Something I need to work on in my repeats is the pace I start off with, as I tend to go out too fast.

Thanks for the advice. My target time is 39:59. Something I need to work on in my repeats is the pace I start off with, as I tend to go out too fast.

Depending on the course I'd say keep her steady at 4 min pace and try to save a small bit for the last km, maybe last 2 if you're feeling strong. Obviously, if the race has downhill in first half and finishes with a nasty climb, that doesn't apply!

You wouldn't be the only person who starts the reps too fast!

What's the difference between lap pace & average pace on a watch & which should you keep an eye on in a race?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

What's the difference between lap pace & average pace on a watch & which should you keep an eye on in a race?

I always work off lap pace, but everyone is different I'd say.

tang1 wrote: »
    I always work off lap pace, but everyone is different I'd say.

Yeah I think that's what meno said - I'm not panicking I swear :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I used lap pace in Longwood and look at the smashing job I done there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Lap pace is the pace of your current lap. So if you have auto lap turned on for every mile or kilometre, then this will give you the pace of the current mile or kilometre you are on. Average pace is then your overall average pace from the start of your run.

You should keep an eye on neither). Just leg it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

What is a meno?

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    What is a meno?

A genius marathon coach

Advertisement