Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Anybody in Mayo that could recommend a physio? Preferably in castlebar.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Firedance wrote: »
    A genius marathon coach

You fall and hit your head today?

Regards,
    Concerned friend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Hello/help/hi,

OK so Cork marathon is 17 weeks today. Last week I did the first week of the plan, which is a 17 week plan, so today rather than re-do the week I'm moving on.

My problem starts with holidays. I'm skiing Feb 27 for the week and will not be running whilst on holidays. What do I do about the week I miss in the plan?

Do I ignore the week and move on to where I should be on the plan?

or

Do I move the week forward and then I'm out by a week on the plan?

That week is 13 weeks to Cork.

Also, as I'm here. I'm back in the country 5 days and gone for the weekend so again no running for those days? Move on and ignore or repeat?

Thank you.

Hopefully I've been clear enough but if not please ask. The weeks are as follows, previous week is 30-33, for which I've to squish full week into 5 days.
    29/02 - none as skiing Easy/rest Easy/rest 90 minute progression run recovery Easy/rest Easy/rest Long run-18 miles easy 44-50 miles
    07-Mar Easy/rest Easy/rest 10-12 miles including 2 x 4mile @ MP recovery Easy/rest Easy/rest Long run-18 miles easy 40-50 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

aquinn wrote: »
    Hello/help/hi,

OK so Cork marathon is 17 weeks today. Last week I did the first week of the plan, which is a 17 week plan, so today rather than re-do the week I'm moving on.

My problem starts with holidays. I'm skiing Feb 27 for the week and will not be running whilst on holidays. What do I do about the week I miss in the plan?

Do I ignore the week and move on to where I should be on the plan?

or

Do I move the week forward and then I'm out by a week on the plan?

That week is 13 weeks to Cork.

Also, as I'm here. I'm back in the country 5 days and gone for the weekend so again no running for those days? Move on and ignore or repeat?

Thank you.

Hopefully I've been clear enough but if not please ask. The weeks are as follows, previous week is 30-33, for which I've to squish full week into 5 days.
    29/02 - none as skiing Easy/rest Easy/rest 90 minute progression run recovery Easy/rest Easy/rest Long run-18 miles easy 44-50 miles
    07-Mar Easy/rest Easy/rest 10-12 miles including 2 x 4mile @ MP recovery Easy/rest Easy/rest Long run-18 miles easy 40-50 miles

If it was me I would look to readjust the plan so your holiday week becomes a recovery week. Try and run a little or cross train if possible on hols, although it's early enough in the schedule that it won't have an impact really.

BeepBeep67 wrote:
    If it was me I would look to readjust the plan so your holiday week becomes a recovery week. Try and run a little or cross train if possible on hols, although it's early enough in the schedule that it won't have an impact really.

Cross training will be skiing and a possible paddle in the pool. So ignore week and move on? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Cross training will be skiing and a possible paddle in the pool. So ignore week and move on? Thanks.

No hotel treadie :rolleyes:

BeepBeep67 wrote:
    No hotel treadie

No but can search locally. I really didn't think I'd be able for any running after a day skiing and what about the apres ski?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

No but can search locally. I really didn't think I'd be able for any running after a day skiing and what about the apres ski?

I'll have a similar challenge at the end of the month and will aim to run in the morning before I ski. If you're a reasonable skier it's not actually that physically demanding unless you push yourself.

For your training plan just treat it as a missed week and pick it back up when you come back. Going anywhere nice?

Clearlier wrote:
    For your training plan just treat it as a missed week and pick it back up when you come back. Going anywhere nice?

Super. The move on approach.
    I'm off to Austria to a ski area I love as had a super time there a few years ago. Skiing and drinking is hard work for the week. Still have to start the squat and lunge routine.
    How about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Super. The move on approach.
    I'm off to Austria to a ski area I love as had a super time there a few years ago. Skiing and drinking is hard work for the week. Still have to start the squat and lunge routine.
    How about you?

Austria too. We'll be staying in a town called Schwarzach. I've just been looking for nearby gyms and not seeing too much that will be of practical use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

So I decided to give the middle distance a shot and will endeavor to embarrass myself at the Leinster indoor masters next month. Have been concentrating on speed work since start of the year but was wondering about footwear and wondering what to look out or.
    Normally I like to wear shoes a size bigger for the extra toe room and to allow for swelling - would it be recommended to go the same with track spikes or go with normal shoe size?
    Also as I don't want to splash out too much before giving it a proper go are these spikes any good? I normally over-pronate slightly
    http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/sau2089/saucony-velocity-4-middle-distance-running-spikes/

Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

So I decided to give the middle distance a shot and will endeavor to embarrass myself at the Leinster indoor masters next month. Have been concentrating on speed work since start of the year but was wondering about footwear and wondering what to look out or.
    Normally I like to wear shoes a size bigger for the extra toe room and to allow for swelling - would it be recommended to go the same with track spikes or go with normal shoe size?
    Also as I don't want to splash out too much before giving it a proper go are these spikes any good? I normally over-pronate slightly
    http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/sau2089/saucony-velocity-4-middle-distance-running-spikes/

Thanks for your help

Those spikes look fine, generally track spikes should for like a glove and be very snug. A word of caution, ease into using track spikes as they are very flat and unforgiving.

Also don't worry about running track, you aren't going to embarrass yourself. That mindset about track needs to be forgotten about, you will really enjoy it. The track in athlone is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

pconn062 wrote: »
    Those spikes look fine, generally track spikes should for like a glove and be very snug. A word of caution, ease into using track spikes as they are very flat and unforgiving.

Also don't worry about running track, you aren't going to embarrass yourself. That mindset about track needs to be forgotten about, you will really enjoy it. The track in athlone is awesome.

I have XC spikes - can I use these? Are they the same as track spikes? Shorter spikes I guess! I think they came with the wee ones.

Again, I'm reluctant to invest in new shoes just yet as just dipping my toe into MD for the first time also, at the same event.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Mulberry wrote: »
    I have XC spikes - can I use these? Are they the same as track spikes? Shorter spikes I guess! I think they came with the wee ones.

Again, I'm reluctant to invest in new shoes just yet as just dipping my toe into MD for the first time also, at the same event.

You could were them, the only thing you may need to change are the spikes themselves. You should only wear 5mm spikes on the track and most XC spikes would be 9mm at least but they are cheap enough to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

pconn062 wrote: »

I agree with pconn. I will usually wear spikes half a size smaller than road shoes. Do try them out before hand. But remember you will not be in them for very long.
    What event will you do, Leinsters indoors is a good place to try out track?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

dna_leri wrote: »
    I agree with pconn. I will usually wear spikes half a size smaller than road shoes. Do try them out before hand. But remember you will not be in them for very long.
    What event will you do, Leinsters indoors is a good place to try out track?

Hoping to do 800 in the Leinster masters next month, main aim is not to not get lapped too much:D. Tbh if I went sub 2:40 I would be delighted. From there lets see where I go - if you don't try you don't achieve!
    Looking forward to it and the change in training from distance is interesting. Shoes ordered and will start to slowly break them in between now and the 6th March.

Thanks for all the inputs

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Is it normal that the majority of the time I have a slight niggle? It's not something I generally notice when walking around, and I usually don't notice it when I'm running, but if I consciously think 'is my leg a bit sore anywhere?', there's usually a wee niggle somewhere. I'm pretty sure it's not just in my head. It's not a big deal and rarely leads to any further difficulties but I'm just wondering whether its just part and parcel of being a runner?

Is it normal that the majority of the time I have a slight niggle? It's not something I generally notice when walking around, and I usually don't notice it when I'm running, but if I consciously think 'is my leg a bit sore anywhere?', there's usually a wee niggle somewhere. I'm pretty sure it's not just in my head. It's not a big deal and rarely leads to any further difficulties but I'm just wondering whether its just part and parcel of being a runner?

Maybe after racing but no, not normally. Tiger balm and foam rolling. Could be a tightness but don't let it linger as I did recently by not stretching or foam rolling and ended up limping around for 24 hours after the physio. My calves were extremely tight but I was consistent as identical issue on outside of both calves.

Maybe after racing but no, not normally. Tiger balm and foam rolling. Could be a tightness but don't let it linger as I did recently by not stretching or foam rolling and ended up limping around for 24 hours after the physio. My calves were extremely tight but I was consistent as identical issue on outside of both calves.

Hmm...could be something similar with me. Calves are a bit tight/weak-feeling after doing a race the week before last, with a bit of a piercing pain(not quite as sore as that sounds; couldn't think of another word) in the peroneal area every so often. I do foam roll after each run, but maybe not enough. Will keep more of an eye on it, cheers.

aquinn wrote:

I don't know about your training but as usually reinforced around here 'take the easy days easy and hard days hard' so don't always pelt around at the same pace. Ease heel off a step gently. Try swimming but maybe a visit to sports therapist or physio in case.

• Advertisement

I don't know about your training but as usually reinforced around here 'take the easy days easy and hard days hard' so don't always pelt around at the same pace. Ease heel off a step gently. Try swimming but maybe a visit to sports therapist or physio in case.

I do try to 'polarise' my training alright, I reckon I just didn't take enough of a rest after the race.

I do try to 'polarise' my training alright, I reckon I just didn't take enough of a rest after the race.

Oh polarise, fancy. Great so you're well aware and not a newbie.

Oh polarise, fancy. Great so you're well aware and not a newbie.

I like to think I'm somewhat aware alright, but always learning. It's weird, as it's sorer when I'm not running. When running I haven't really noticed it.

I like to think I'm somewhat aware alright, but always learning. It's weird, as it's sorer when I'm not running. When running I haven't really noticed it.

Maybe day-to-day shoes then don't have sufficient support? I was told to change my daily shoe before by a sports therapist. Can't remember what I rocked up in but was told they were no use to me, or something to that affect.

Maybe day-to-day shoes then don't have sufficient support? I was told to change my daily shoe before by a sports therapist. Can't remember what I rocked up in but was told they were no use to me, or something to that affect.

Could possibly be that. I'll see how I get on over the next few weeks and if it's still niggly I'll head to the physio and see what they say. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Anyone who has gone 'premium' on Strava - would you recommend it and why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Ososlo wrote: »
    Anyone who has gone 'premium' on Strava - would you recommend it and why?

you get one month free so you can try it out first, the thing I like best is the 'create route' option. I know you can do this for free on Mapmyrun to TBH the strava one is spot on mileage wise. Other than that? you get a nice badge beside your name :cool: I'm not sure I'll stay premium after my month is up though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Firedance wrote: »
    you get one month free so you can try it out first, the thing I like best is the 'create route' option. I know you can do this for free on Mapmyrun to TBH the strava one is spot on mileage wise. Other than that? you get a nice badge beside your name :cool: I'm not sure I'll stay premium after my month is up though..

Ah grand. Don't think I'll bother so. Cheers!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You don't need to be premium to create new routes.

It does give you things like race analysis and times spent in HR zones etc. and the ability to set mileage goals and access training plans. Really it is not worth it for what you get but is more about supporting them in helping improve the site etc.

Worth trying it for a month anyway to see what you think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You don't need to be premium to create new routes.

It does give you things like race analysis and times spent in HR zones etc. and the ability to set mileage goals and access training plans. Really it is not worth it for what you get but is more about supporting them in helping improve the site etc.

Worth trying it for a month anyway to see what you think.

Advertisement