Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

adrian522 wrote: »
    You don't need to be premium to create new routes.

you don't? well I definitely won't be staying premium then, I hadn't noticed it before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You can created routes, or courses as they call them, on Garmin Connect. Only useful though if you have a Garmin device.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Ososlo wrote: »
    Anyone who has gone 'premium' on Strava - would you recommend it and why?

I liked the heat map of where you ran but I don't think it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Maybe not so much a random running question but I have bitten the bulllet and signed up for the DCM this year. I have been running fairly consistently for the past couple of years and completed two half marathons last year.....Wicklow and Clontarf.

Just now I am getting out about three times per week usually a 16k and a couple of 10ks. Hopong to put a plan together for the marathon starting the third week in July once the holidays are out the way.

What would be a good level of base training to be at before hand?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Maybe not so much a random running question but I have bitten the bulllet and signed up for the DCM this year. I have been running fairly consistently for the past couple of years and completed two half marathons last year.....Wicklow and Clontarf.

Just now I am getting out about three times per week usually a 16k and a couple of 10ks. Hopong to put a plan together for the marathon starting the third week in July once the holidays are out the way.

What would be a good level of base training to be at before hand?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Have a read of last years, and the year's before, mentored novices threads. You need only concentrate on the first post in each and go through all the links. There's a mine of useful info in both. I think you'll see in there that a good base would be 25-30 miles per week before you start the training but you should build up to this very slowly and also add in an extra days running per week so you're out 4 days a week. Good luck with the training & keep an eye in here for the 2016 Mentored thread which should crop up around May possibly.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90266006

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95465738

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Firedance wrote: »
    Have a read of last years, and the year's before, mentored novices threads. You need only concentrate on the first post in each and go through all the links. There's a mine of useful info in both. I think you'll see in there that a good base would be 25-30 miles per week before you start the training but you should build up to this very slowly and also add in an extra days running per week so you're out 4 days a week. Good luck with the training & keep an eye in here for the 2016 Mentored thread which should crop up around May possibly.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90266006

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95465738

Many thanks I will have a look at the previous threads and will get signed up for this year's one when it comes online.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

You can get 60 days free Strava premium here, and from what I've heard you can keep reapplying after it runs out. Not sure how long it'll last though, especially if it becomes common knowledge.

Not that I'd be dishonest enough to avail of this or anything, just I found out from a mate...or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I don't think Strava Premium is worth it, but I'm too lazy to cancel / I kind of feel ok about paying them some money to keep the service running. I'll probably cancel the premium membership at some stage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Singer wrote: »
    I don't think Strava Premium is worth it, but I'm too lazy to cancel / I kind of feel ok about paying them some money to keep the service running. I'll probably cancel the premium membership at some stage though.

I'll have a play around for the 60 days and see if it's any use, have already scheduled the cancellation.

if you use Chrome, this add on is a decent alternative:
    https://thomaschampagne.github.io/stravistix/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

How the F*** did going for a run become so complicated. O.o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ger664 wrote: »
    How the F*** did going for a run become so complicated. O.o

Just wait... what do you think is going to happen when those 'self-follow video recording drones' become more affordable/accessible? At least it'll mean an end to those post-run Garmin photos, but a new breed of hell will be unleashed on an unsuspecting world. The selfie movie. Shudder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Just wait... what do you think is going to happen when those 'self-follow video recording drones' become more affordable/accessible? At least it'll mean an end to those post-run Garmin photos, but a new breed of hell will be unleashed on an unsuspecting world. The selfie movie. Shudder.

Just back from a mile run #athlete #breakingbarriers #extramile

1 Comment: omg u luk #amazeballs Hun I dnt no how u do it :) xx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

^ you'll be reported for text speak ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Anyone know where I could find a comprehensive list of races in France, will be there last week in May/First two weeks in June this year and wouldn't mind doing a race?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

tang1 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I could find a comprehensive list of races in France, will be there last week in May/First two weeks in June this year and wouldn't mind doing a race?

http://marathons.ahotu.com/calendar/france#facets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

What part Tang? Big country.

Itziger wrote: »
    What part Tang? Big country.

True enough, Vendee, St Jean de Monts to be more precise Itziger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

True enough, Vendee, St Jean de Monts to be more precise Itziger.

I will be in St Jean de Monts for two weeks from June 3Rd I think. Couldn't find any races there last year so let me know what you come up with. Staying at La Clarys Plage by any chance?

snailsong wrote: »
    I will be in St Jean de Monts for two weeks from June 3Rd I think. Couldn't find any races there last year so let me know what you come up with. Staying at La Clarys Plage by any chance?

No Les Ecureuils, but La Clarys Plage isn't far away if my memory is correct. Will still be there when you arrive, might hook up for a few miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

No Les Ecureuils, but La Clarys Plage isn't far away if my memory is correct. Will still be there when you arrive, might hook up for a few miles?

Absolutely. There's some good routes around there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I've been to St. Jean de Monts. T'was a good few years ago now, though, can't remember the name of the campsite. could have been le bois dormant, but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

About 100km away but this might be an option: http://acpays-ancenis.fr/index.php/2013-01-18-10-04-13/ancenis-entre-loire-et-coteaux/infos-pratiques.

Don't forget that if you're racing in France you have to have a medical certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Clearlier wrote: »

Don't forget that if you're racing in France you have to have a medical certificate.
    Interesting. Do you know if many more European countries have this rule?

Italy :) could possibly be continent wide?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I don't recall needing one for the Barcelona marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I needed a certificate for Greece but none for Austria, Germany, Switzerland or Italy. The Italian one was a championship race and may operate under different rules.

I needed a certificate for Greece but none for Austria, Germany, Switzerland or Italy. The Italian one was a championship race and may operate under different rules.

I needed one for the Milan marathon (even though I was only on a relay team) I guess the only answer is to check an event before hand. I wonder why they have these on the continent but not here, are they needed in the UK? I'm assuming not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

It's clearly not "on the continent" but different from country to country.
    I didn't need one in the UK either.

It's clearly not "on the continent" but different from country to country.
    I didn't need one in the UK either.

sorry I didn't mean everywhere but we don't have them here at all as far as I know, I just wondered why we don't have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭aero2k

Don't worry Firedance, if you do have to travel it's only physical health they check...

On a more serious note, I wonder if there's much point to having a medical cert. I remember hearing many years ago that pre-employment medicals were a very poor predictor of subsequent health issues, and only served as a baseline e.g. for hearing. I suspect the same applies to a cert prior to running a race, unless they do very expensive tests.

I've only raced (running) in the UK and Ireland, and I've only had to sign the usual disclaimers - any legal folk might be able to give a better insight but I think they're a bit pointless too - our laws don't allow you to sign away someone else's duty of care for you.

In the distant past I competed in bike races in the notoriously litigious USA, but I can't recall anything onerous in terms of paperwork.

Advertisement