Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youtube versus 1440p

Options
  • 31-05-2014 12:58pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I've uploaded a heavily compressed file, 180 megs, which is 2560x1440 res, and Youtube gives 1440p res available on playback.

I then upload a much less compressed and better quality edition of the video, 1.7 gig, 2560x1440, 60fps, and the result is Youtube only provides 1080p playback.

Am I missing something basic or obvious here?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

It takes time for the higher resolution playback formats to become available, especially on uncompressed files. Might just be that?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Everything up to 1080 appeared fairly promptly. But the 1440p still hasn't appeared more than 12 hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭Steve X2

YouTube's automated conversion system can be a bit funny with high resolution uploads(and by high i mean larger than 1080p). I've uploaded some 4k footage in the past and it appeared as "original" as an option higher than 1080p and was it seemed 4k.
    But, I uploaded a 2k file also and all I ever got on it was 1080p!
    And I do wish they'd allow 60fps videos rather than always dropping them down to 30fps :0/

If you're uploading a video that's over 30fps i think you're nearly better off dropping the frame-rate down yourself before uploading as I wouldn't trust YouTube to be as elegant in the process as you might be yourself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hmm, seems I may be in the wrong here.

Although Shadowplay is set to use the in-game resolution, and the replay being recorded displays in 2560x1440, the video actually produced is 1920x1080 according to the file details.

From the manual options, Shadowplay apparently tops out at 1080p.

And to answer my own question completely, nVidia released Geforce Experience 2.1, and one of the additions is that ShadowPlay now captures the higher resolutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

I tried to watch a 1440p vid on youtube and my video card crashed -
    1080p vids work fine... how do I go about fixing this? Do I need to update my drivers?
    I have an i3 processor 4gb-ram pc and the latest flash installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Check if the video player is the HTML5 player, if so it's probably going to impact your system more than Flash videos. I've found I can't even watch 1080p anymore since the HTML5 player in Chrome chugs my system down to a crawl on my i5-750.

Advertisement