Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blue bottle flies.........I kill you.

• 31-05-2014 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

It's that time of year when I have the back door open and all I hear is buzzzzz buzzzz f'ing buzzzz while watching TV.

I have moved my bins to the front/side of my house but they are persist little feckers.

What do the wise boards members recommend to kill them, I don't want to get lung damage from fly spray.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Evil little winged bástards! Get one of those zappers you see in the butchers and position it by a door. They will fly to the light and die!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

robertxxx wrote: »
    It's that time of year when I have the back door open and all I hear is buzzzzz buzzzz f'ing buzzzz while watching TV.

I have moved my bins to the front/side of my house but they are persist little feckers.

What do the wise boards members recommend to kill them, I don't want to get lung damage from fly spray.

I have a Venus fly trap in the conservatory by the back door and he munches them all right up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The only way to get rid of them is to remove the source.

Move and\or seal your bins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Phalanx Close in weapons system should do the job...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmUfiPRrbMw

Neighbours have one to keep the gulls away from the silage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The problem is not so much the bluebottles but you yourself. What is causing the flies? As bluebottles deposit their eggs in decomposing organic matter, their appearance that decomposing matter is present nearby. Do you tie up your rubbish bags properly and is the bin sealed? Is there a break in a sewage pipe? Is food left out in the open? Something attracts them and just blaming the bi s is not enough. My black bin only goes out every couple of months but I have no problem with flies.
    Look to the cause rather than for an unobtainable cure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

o1s1n wrote: »
    I have a Venus fly trap in the conservatory by the back door and he munches them all right up.

I've got a cat who does the same thing !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

otherwise known blue ass flies. go onto YouTube and look for a video about killing them without the use of a spray.You might be more successful searching with the blue ass term as used stateside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Spiders

Lots and lots of spiders :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Can of Lynx and a lighter, not only will you get rid of the flies, you can do your bit for world peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I prefer the burn em all aproach now saying this sometimes the plan backfires and end up burning other things aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Put a Bounty on their fat Little arses and any kids/Dog the Bounty hunter types will sort em for ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Why are you sitting inside watching telly on a day like that anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Poor little flies, please don't kill them, they're cute and buzzy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Poor little flies, please don't kill them, they're cute and buzzy.

Aw, yeah, and the way they constantly vomit thereby spreading disease... adorable stuff.

dee_mc wrote: »
    Aw, yeah, and the way they constantly vomit thereby spreading disease... adorable stuff.
    As well as poop.

gugleguy wrote: »
    As well as poop.

And wee, don't forget wee. They also lay their eggs all over the place. Unhygienic little blighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

No one just takes a day to go absolutely nuts with a fly swat anymore?

No one just takes a day to go absolutely nuts with a fly swat anymore?

My neighbour is the fly-swatting Queen, got her one of these last year, endless fun!
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/electronic-fly-swatter-l91aw

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

Thats why i now love spiders and leave them be in my house to capture and eat the bastrads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Get 2 wooden blocks about 2 1/2 inch square.

Paint one block red,

Paint the other one blue.

Number the blocks. number 1 the red block and number 2 the blue block.

Place fly on block number 1, (the red one).

Strike fly sharply with the number 2 block, (blue one).

Repeat as ness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

smellydeadfly.jpg

I've one of these electric flyswatters, purchased for a massive €2. It's great fun killing the little buggers and keeps me fit too. A word of warning though, the smell of a blue bottle frying on it is horrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I have one of these. Works, not perfectly but it is huge fun...

smellydeadfly.jpg

I've one of these electric flyswatters, purchased for a massive €2. It's great fun killing the little buggers and keeps me fit too. A word of warning though, the smell of a blue bottle frying on it is horrific.

They're great fun! The lady i gave it to is a bit of a sadist, she prefers to nearly kill them and watch them suffer for a few seconds before zapping them again :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Screw the blue bottles, I want to hear about this venus fly trap.

You must get up to all sorts of merriment with it, spill the beans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

They are a royal pain in the arse but I still prefer them to fukkin' wasps!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

My cat takes care of them in absolutley spectacular fcuking fashion.

We had one a few months ago at the top of the curtain in the living room. The cat sat at the bottom for about 30 seconds, sizing it up, before leaping up and catching it in it's mouth.

bzzzzzzcrunch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

If you want to get rid of blue bottles, then why not just paint them green or some other colour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

What OP needs is this:

The Salt Gun

:pac:

Edit - helps if I read through pages, someone already posted this on 2nd page >_<;

If you want to get rid of blue bottles, then why not just paint them green or some other colour?

Couple of practical problems here. Don't use paintbrushes. Use spraypaint from your nearest halfords. Then there's the time needed for the paint to dry. Although you can put the flies on flypaper.you don't know how the poor critters will be able to fly afterwards.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

I'm surprised that nobody has played the Racist' card (yet) on this one, considering the poor little bluebottles are black in a bluey kinda way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

dee_mc wrote: »

Ah now they aren't exactly tsetse flies. A small amount of food poisoning is good for you, toughens you up.

goose2005 wrote: »
    Ah now they aren't exactly tsetse flies. A small amount of food poisoning is good for you, toughens you up.

I get my small bit of food poisoning on holiday every couple of years, I'm tough enough!
    I don't hold with any of this 'aaaw the poor widdle bluebottles' twaddle: they're pests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

napalm your house... that will learn them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

Venus fly traps attract flies though, they're about the worst thing you can buy if you hate flies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

It's because you're putting the blue bottles in the regular bin; if you put them into the recycling bin then they'd never want to come out.

/thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

I hate the little feckers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Blue bottles face Matrin
    Penguins feet Joabie
    Jelly legs Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Death by firing squad is the only way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

I haven't even clicked the link yet and I've no need for a fly killing device, but something with a name that long just has to be awesome!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

Eat them. They are high in protein and it is a recession !

*its after hours , what did you expect :D *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

whats the postage like on that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

Aldi and Lidl sell them from time to time. I have a similar one and it works very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

everybody is going to laugh jml have a thing called a snap screen to use on open doors first line of defense dont let them in

had the fly zappers dam great but bulbs gone in 3 now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blSVr8Ls3d0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

BIG GIANT ****ING SPIDER ....still ain't got him. My conscience says put him outside....but my screams say otherwise...lets hope someone else deals with the beast and humanely puts it where it belongs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The only way to get rid of them is to remove the source.

The planet must die!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

My youngest boys have fly swatters and they go into commando style every day now in search of flies, it keeps them busy and play together for a while without killing each other, joined together against one enemy -the fly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Electric tennis racket...hours of fun and effective

• Advertisement
Advertisement