Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble in Howth/Sutton

Options
  • 31-05-2014 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Just got a call from a friend of mine saying the trouble has kicked off in Howth again. Don't know exactly what is happening but the place is crawling with police. Anybody have any update?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Irish Rail tweeted that Sutton station was closed at the request of the Gardai, others tweeting that the place is full of cops - anyone know what's going on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

Fiolina wrote: »
    Just got a call from a friend of mine saying the trouble has kicked off in Howth again. Don't know exactly what is happening but the place is crawling with police. Anybody have any update?

Hundreds of kids drinking there all day. On the pier, on the beach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Thankfully Joe is back on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Little ****s at the beach being evacuated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

It's time like this that i wish we'd take the lead of our European neighbours and invest in Water Cannons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Same as last year in Howth/Sutton and Portmarnock. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84978484

Loads of young ne'er do wells trying to get to the beach and causing trouble. They've also been cleared from the harbour.

Start of school holidays, nice weather, teenagers using large groups on FB to arrange the whole thing, drinking, fighting and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

My 13 year old had gone out this morning to her friend who lives there. I stupidly had forgotten about the trouble last year, otherwise I wouldn't have let her go. Got a phone call earlier from the friend's mother to tell me what was happening and that she was safe. I'm going to drive out now and get her and hopefully it will have calmed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Startup_Paul

I was on the pier with my elderly mother and father and girlfriend as it kicked off... When we got tot he start of the pier there was 2 garda just telling kids to be quite but not stopping them or searching them for drink then about 30 14-15 yr olds marched onto the peer to half way down to another group of kids and started fighting... 3 or 4 of them being jumped on. Went on for about 10 mins until the garda came 4 cars and a van...

Most of them scattered then they where pushed off the pier and on the main area in howth and guided to the station. We then had some food about 2 hours later we seen a group of the same group of about 8 guys who where in the middle of it fighting just walking down the road laughing.

What I dont understand is can we not arrest, charge and fine these kids ??? Where is the deterrent ? Why did the garda who where there at the start of the pier not stop search and remove alcohol from them it was obvious they had drink.

The place was left with loads of broken bottles and lots of families with kids about.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

I think this is different than what happened in portmarnock last year.
    Sounds like just kids drinking.
    The trouble in portmarnock last year happened on "flaggons day" an event that happens every year as long as I can remember, based around drinking flaggons of cider, it just got out of hand last year due to weather and how popular fb is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 lucy1

Its sickening that decent people who want to enjoy the facilities have to view this. Lok every one of them up for a week and watch them cry like babies

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Whereisgerry?

We were out there earlier for a walk with our 2 young kids - big mistake - 100's of teenagers on the pier & heading for the pier. In fairness I didn't see much trouble but you could feel that it all might kick off at any minute. There were loads of garda cars around & they were directing them back to the Dart station. We left around 4PM but there were still loads of them hanging around.

I know they should be free to go where they want but it just looked so awful. And a lot of them were drinking and being generally loud!! We seen loads of confused looking tourists wondering what the hell was going on. I'm sure they won't be recommending Howth to their friends.

And don't get me started on the girls in just bikini's!! Hello?? You aren't in Ibiza and it was bloody freezing even with the sun out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Threads merged & title edited.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Startup_Paul

What are the laws for underage ? Can they be arrested or charged... ?? I know in Britian they have ASBOS (thinks thats how its spelt) do we have a similar law ? It seems like its sort of accepted and it carries on or it cause they know they cant be arrested... I know this brings in the bigger question of upbrining etc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The first good weather day last year in Howth happened to be when the Lambay regatta was on and it was utter madness, I remember coming back into the harbour and just wanting to leave.

While trying to decide what to do today I heard about Sutton being closed, and immediately know to avoid Howth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Why did they close Sutton station, i can't think of any reason how that would help the situation?

Easier to control them in Howth I reckon, possibly due to numbers of Gardaí on duty, routes to beach and access out of the station. Howth station layout being a bottleneck would be the main reason, but at Sutton they could leg it down the track to the level crossing which isn't far, leave through the station building or leave via the level crossing at the west end of the platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Thankfully Joe is back on Tuesday

joe can preach bout the poor little knacker scum being discriminated against out in howth. Be different if there was a dart to dollymount and the beach wasnt so far from the main road then the overpaid **** would have a different perspective of things. Howth is bad enough with tourists at weekend but these ****s coming in for a fight deserves more then a few gards in uniform. Riot squad and army back up

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

At it again..guards asked Irish rail yo close Sutton station.
    Source:Irish independence.

• Advertisement

Sutton was closed to Howth bounds.

Public Order Unit were confiscating booze, though the incident I saw was a friendly affair.

Didn't see any trouble or trouble makers, but there's always some potential. By and large lots of people between young and old having a good time.

Didn't go near the burrow beach though.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,598 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can't see how they can close a station and inconvenience the general public all because of a few thugs, can they not control an area, are they afraid to swarm the area with officers area and control it once and for all, what the hell would they do in a real public order emergency? The gardai should provide full taxi fare or transport for anyone who has to get off at Howth or Bayside because they can't complete their journey due to crazy Garda instructions given to Irish Rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Can't see how they can close a station and inconvenience the general public all because of a few thugs, can they not control an area, are they afraid to swarm the area with officers area and control it once and for all, what the hell would they do in a real public order emergency? The gardai should provide full taxi fare or transport for anyone who has to get off at Howth or Bayside because they can't complete their journey due to crazy Garda instructions given to Irish Rail.

Its madness especially when have an army who can back the gardai up. Australia, spain, france have packed beaches and no trouble but our precious scumbags who are only having a good day out enjoying the weather can amuck and scare away families and tourists

Advertisement