Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can even lose a sliver of weight despite lots of excercise. HELP!!!

• 31-05-2014 5:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41

Hi. I excercise by walking everywhere. Even into town which is a nice stretch away. I do eat heartily but can't lose a pound in fact I am gaining weight due to the hunger caused by the walking. I am 5'7 and weight 95kgs. Would like to be 90kgs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Losing weight is about diet, not exercise. You can walk/run all you want but if you're taking in more energy than you are expending you will not lose weight. Basically you need to stop "eating heartily" because it is outdoing all of your exercise. Post your diet up and we can give you advice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 Mr Steak

Losing weight is about diet, not exercise. You can walk/run all you want but if you're taking in more energy than you are expending you will not lose weight. Basically you need to stop "eating heartily" because it is outdoing all of your exercise. Post your diet up and we can give you advice.

Well a usual day would be as follows.

Breakfast.
    2 rashers
    2 sausages
    2 eggs
    1 piece black pudding
    1 piece white pudding
    1 piece of liver
    2 fried tomatoes
    2 slices fried bread
    2 slices toast
    1 pot of tea plus milk and sugar

Lunch
    100% irish beef quarter pound burger with cheese
    Roast spuds
    Beans

Dinner
    1/2 roast chicken
    Roast spuds
    Roast veg - mixed
    Stuffing and gravy

Supper
    3 scrambled eggs with cheese and beans
    1 small steak
    3 slices toast

Snacks
    2 bags tayto cheese and onion
    2 bananas
    2 apples

Alcohol
    Few jars of guinnes (8) every other evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

If that's a usual day you'll be 100 kg in about a fortnight.

Seriously, you're eating for two there & not in a pregnant way.

And cut out the booze. A pint of Guinness is 200 calories. 8 every second day is an additional 5200 calories (2 days recommended intake) a week that you don't need with all the other high fat stuff you're eating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Mr Steak wrote: »

Breakfast.
    2 rashers
    2 sausages
    2 eggs
    1 piece black pudding
    1 piece white pudding
    1 piece of liver
    2 fried tomatoes
    2 slices fried bread
    2 slices toast

Lunch
    Roast spuds
    Beans

Dinner
    1/2 roast chicken
    Roast spuds
    Roast veg - mixed
    Stuffing and gravy

Supper
    1 small steak
    3 slices toast

Snacks
    2 bananas
    2 apples

Alcohol

Troll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Are you trolling? You'll never lose weight with that more than horrific diet...and I'm surprised you are as light as you are!

• Advertisement

Jogathon wrote: »
    Are you trolling? You'll never lose weight with that more than horrific diet...and I'm surprised you are as light as you are!

I do manual work on a farm and also do the walking excercise. I think I could cover 10 miles every day in addition to my farm labouring.

Wow I'm sorry but you are eating far, far too much. Are you male or female?

I counted 4 slices of bread for breakfast and then another 3 for supper. Thats over 500 calories - a quarter of what your intake should be - for what is essentially crap!

2 bags of crisps at night - 400 calories of junk- for a snack!

That's half of what your intake should be to drop weight on rubbish alone. Then there's the 8 pints of Guinness "every other evening" which quite frankly terrifies me.

Even if we were to take all of this rubbish out, the sheer quantity of food you're eating is huge for someone who wants to drop weight. I'm not trying to be mean but just take a step back and read through that list. That breakfast is huge! It's a miracle you have time to even cook it all let alone eat it. Then you have a huge burger + spuds for lunch and then half a chicken + spuds for dinner?! Not to mention stuff like gravy, cheese, beans which are very calorie dense.

I suppose first thing's first - cut out the alcohol, crisps, sweets, biscuits or whatever you eat as a snack. Go light on the gravy, beans, cheese and sauces with dinner. Eat less bread - max 2 slices a day.

You need to make slow changes to your diet, it will be difficult to cut it all out at once so pick something from the list and dump it and work your way up the ladder. Good luck.

edit: I did consider the idea that you might be trolling but I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Is this even real life?!

Wow I'm sorry but you are eating far, far too much. Are you male or female?

I counted 4 slices of bread for breakfast and then another 3 for supper. Thats over 500 calories - a quarter of what your intake should be - for what is essentially crap!

2 bags of crisps at night - 400 calories of junk- for a snack!

That's half of what your intake should be to drop weight on rubbish alone. Then there's the 8 pints of Guinness "every other evening" which quite frankly terrifies me.

Even if we were to take all of this rubbish out, the sheer quantity of food you're eating is huge for someone who wants to drop weight. I'm not trying to be mean but just take a step back and read through that list. That breakfast is huge! It's a miracle you have time to even cook it all let alone eat it. Then you have a huge burger + spuds for lunch and then half a chicken + spuds for dinner?! Not to mention stuff like gravy, cheese, beans which are very calorie dense.

I suppose first thing's first - cut out the alcohol, crisps, sweets, biscuits or whatever you eat as a snack. Go light on the gravy, beans, cheese and sauces with dinner. Eat less bread - max 2 slices a day.

You need to make slow changes to your diet, it will be difficult to cut it all out at once so pick something from the list and dump it and work your way up the ladder. Good luck.

I'm male. I am up at 4.30am and eat at 5.30am. Am at work at 6.30am and need to start with a full stomach. Lunch is at 11.30am. Dinner at 4pm and supper 10.30pm. Would be in bed and asleep 11pm.

I'm male. I am up at 4.30am and eat at 5.30am. Am at work at 6.30am and need to start with a full stomach. Lunch is at 11.30am. Dinner at 4pm and supper 10.30pm. Would be in bed and asleep 11pm.

There's full stomach then there's that.

You know what, if you replaced that breakfast with a bowl of porridge and stopped drinking Guinness + eating crisps I bet you'd lose weight. Even so, it sounds like you're trying to justify all that food so either you're trolling or you simply are not interested in putting any effort in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

5'7 and 90Kg doesnt sound like a great target youd want to consider heading towards 80kg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

You know what, if you replaced that breakfast with a bowl of porridge and stopped drinking Guinness + eating crisps I bet you'd lose weight. Even so, it sounds like you're trying to justify all that food so either you're trolling or you simply are not interested in putting any effort in.

Are eggs ok with just pure meat?

Eggs and liver would be fine. Rashers and sausages are high in fat and calories (not that there's anything wrong with fat) but your diet has enough of that already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Op is having a laugh or a heart attack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Breakfast.
    2 rashers
    2 sausages
    2 eggs
    1 piece black pudding
    1 piece white pudding
    1 piece of liver
    2 fried tomatoes
    2 slices fried bread
    2 slices toast

Lunch
    Roast spuds
    Beans

Dinner
    1/2 roast chicken
    Roast spuds
    Roast veg - mixed
    Stuffing and gravy

Supper
    1 small steak
    3 slices toast

Snacks
    2 bananas
    2 apples

Alcohol

I smell troll sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you're not a troll, when's the next series of Man vs Food?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

My god, what the op eats in a day I wouldn't be to put away in a weekend!

silverharp wrote: »
    5'7 and 90Kg doesnt sound like a great target youd want to consider heading towards 80kg

That'd be very hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Calories control your weight. You take in Calories through food. Look at the labels on food packages, you'll see a number with kcal written beside it. From what I know, an average adult needs somewhere around 2000kcal a day.

You use a lot up in a regular day without doing anything. You use more up by doing work/exercise.

So:
    1. You eat a lot of food.
    2. You do a lot of work and exercise.
    3. You are not losing weight.

Right so, then if you want to cut down on your weight, cut out some of the food.... or do a lot more exercise.

A lot of the food you eat might lead to unhealthy results. My first reaction was to think that you might get heart problems cos I have it in my head that the type of food which you are eating tends to block up the pipes (veins and arteries) that lead into and out of your heart.... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If the OP isn't trolling then he is in the lucky position of doing manual labour everyday. He's probably burning 3000 calories+ at work everyday before doing any walking for exercise. So if you can cut down your drinking to just one night a week and replace the fry ups to only one or two mornings a week and instead eat omelettes and fruit, also ease back on the snacks a bit and the weight will fall off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Of course the OP is trolling for god sake, he mentions going on walks in the original post and then subsequently lets us know that he does manual labour all day. Yeah because having a walk is more strenuous than working on a farm...

If I was to drop one of the meals which would be the best one to drop (excluding breakfast)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

2 rashers
    2 sausages
    2 eggs
    1 piece black pudding
    1 piece white pudding

Were they all stacked like a tower on top of each other and rolled up good and tight?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Retrovin

Jumbo Breakfast Troll!!!!

Davei141 wrote: »
    Of course the OP is trolling for god sake, he mentions going on walks in the original post and then subsequently lets us know that he does manual labour all day. Yeah because having a walk is more strenuous than working on a farm...

My work is in addition to my walking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ah lads I thought he was a troll too but you know what, his food intake isn't that uncommon in this country. Lots of people who do manual labour eat a full fry every morning or a breakfast roll with lashings of sauce. Drinking 30+ pints a week is defintely classified as binge drinking but people do it. I worked as a barman once for a good while and the OP's food and drink intake would describe that of a lot of my customers back then, most of the builders I knew were probably eating and drinking 4000+ calories a day but the manual labour they did kept them in decent shape. Not their hearts obviously but physically they were lean.

OP my advice is to get yourself an app like www.MyFitnessPal.com and use it to start counting the calories you are consuming. Your current diet is consuming around 3500-4500 calories a day and for a male the recommended intake is 2500 so the only reason you are not vastly overweight is because you do manual labour and are literally exercising it off while you work. But if you're finding it difficult to lose weight and you are exercising with work and walking then the only thing left to do is change what you eat. Not only for weight loss but also your health- you diet at the moment has a big red flashing light that says high cholesterol, diabetes and potential heart problems.

Install MyFitnessPal on your phone or computer and get used to using it once a day, everyday for 5 minutes to fill in your food. After a week you'll have a really good picture of what items in your diet are really boosting your calorie count and will know what to cut back on. Counting calories on MyFitnessPal also makes you more aware of what you are eating and how good or bad it is for weight loss. For example when losing weight myself I still didn't drop my daily snack, a packet of crisps. But I quickly learned that I could make better choices in crisps for weight loss- I used to love Hunky Dorys but a packet of them was 220 calories, almost 10% of my total daily intake of 2,500. So I started reading the kcal on labels and quickly discovered that corn based snacks like Skips, Rancheroes, etc were a lot lower in calories, usually only 90 calories per pack. So I switched to those instead, I still got my treat but now it was at less than 5% of my total daily intake. So in other words you don't have to give up everything but you do have to make smarter choices about what you eat. And as for the drink, you have to lay off it, there isn't a chance you'll lose weight while consuming 8 pints of Guinness which is the equivalent of 1600 calories on beer alone.

That'd be very hard

As i'm feeling generous, on the basis you're not a troll, your first change is your attitude.

No point in advising on the changes you need to make unless you're willing to make the effort you need to make.

His food intake isn't that uncommon, but only an absolute ****ing moron would eat that and expect to lose weight by walking a bit extra. Hence him being a troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

If you're telling the truth there fair fux to ya, I haven't seen much honest looking food diaries on this website. I think that's why everyone is getting so butthurt. How fast are you putting on weight? If it's slowly going on that means you're only eating a bit too much, but if it's going on relatively fast you could have more to do. Grilling your food instead of frying it, cutting out the cheese and little bits like that could be enough for you. Farmer here and I'd well believe someone can put away that amount without gaining massive amounts of weight, first hand experience. Won't be long adding up though, the longer you leave it the more you have to lose.

If you're trolling, also fair fux to ya!

• Advertisement

If you're telling the truth there fair fux to ya, I haven't seen much honest looking food diaries on this website. I think that's why everyone is getting so butthurt. How fast are you putting on weight? If it's slowly going on that means you're only eating a bit too much, but if it's going on relatively fast you could have more to do. Grilling your food instead of frying it, cutting out the cheese and little bits like that could be enough for you. Farmer here and I'd well believe someone can put away that amount without gaining massive amounts of weight, first hand experience. Won't be long adding up though, the longer you leave it the more you have to lose.

I suppose it's a slow build up. Used to play a lot of GAA but too old for that now

First of all I wouldn't call walking exercise, not being a prick or anything but if you're doing it for a purpose other than health it's probably not wise to call it that. Frying stuff is a disaster if you're not putting tight control on your diet. Also your not gaining weight because of the hunger caused by walking, you're gaining weight from the food you're eating. Just don't fry stuff (especially ****ing bread!) and cut out cheese for a while, see how you go. I can't imagine you're on for a dramatic overhaul so you'll just have to tighten up and eat less and/or do some real exercise. Simple as

That and the 24+ pints of Guinness a week.

First of all I wouldn't call walking exercise, not being a prick or anything but if you're doing it for a purpose other than health it's probably not wise to call it that. Frying stuff is a disaster if you're not putting tight control on your diet. Also your not gaining weight because of the hunger caused by walking, you're gaining weight from the food you're eating. Just don't fry stuff (especially ****ing bread!) and cut out cheese for a while, see how you go. I can't imagine you're on for a dramatic overhaul so you'll just have to tighten up and eat less and/or do some real exercise. Simple as

Grilling the food instead of frying it...cut out cheese? sure that might save 100-200 calories on a 5000+ calorie diet..

Grilling the food instead of frying it...cut out cheese? sure that might save 100-200 calories on a 5000+ calorie diet..

You are terrible at maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

If you're telling the truth there fair fux to ya, I haven't seen much honest looking food diaries on this website. I think that's why everyone is getting so butthurt.
    Ah come on, nobody's butt-hurt - they're just questioning how someone who eats that much and whose exercise is farm labouring and walking could genuinely wonder why they're not losing weight!
    Eight pints of Guinness most nights was the clincher for me.

Fair fux for trolling - why?! Not exactly an achievement or in any way constructive.

If he's genuine though, he's doing well to be only 15 stone.

• Advertisement

You are terrible at maths.

Not as terrible as your "Advice". Why don't you tell him to chew his food extra to burn a few more calories.

Magaggie wrote: »
    Ah come on, nobody's butt-hurt - they're just questioning how someone who eats that much and whose exercise is farm labouring and walking could genuinely wonder why they're not losing weight!
    Eight pints of Guinness most nights was the clincher for me.

Fair fux for trolling - why?!

I don't know if you've ever worked on a farm but you mightn't be as surprised if you did, also, calories from alcohol aren't as fattening as most people (would like to?) think.

If it was a troll post, it was perfect. Going on to a health/nutrition and diet forum - asking for help with a bad diet and exercise - and he gets abused!?

I thought it quite humorous and that it did a good job in highlighting the type of people that frequent these forums, to "help" other people. Very good overall post!

Not as terrible as your "Advice". Why don't you tell him to chew his food extra to burn a few more calories.

Because that would have negligible effect. Try and work out how much oil he likely uses and the amount of cheese, read the part that suggests he is only at a slight caloric surplus and notice that he is not willing to make massive changes to his diet. Your comments really hurt my feelings too.

Seriously though...talk of grilling instead of frying but nothing about the 8 pints every second night?

Well if he is frying i would imagine he doesn't have to use that much oil considering all the fat that would be rendered into the pan. That is also just the first meal. Not even mentioned the bloody guinness. If hes not willing to make changes then he can enjoy staying at 95kg and getting bigger as he gets older. It is a troll though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

I don't know if you've ever worked on a farm but you mightn't be as surprised if you did
    Fair enough, I haven't worked on a farm and I'd imagine it's tough-going in fairness.
    also, calories from alcohol aren't as fattening as most people (would like to?) think.
    Woohoo! This I can get behind. :D
    But still though, eight pints most nights...?
    If it was a troll post, it was perfect. Going on to a health/nutrition and diet forum - asking for help with a bad diet and exercise - and he gets abused!?
    I don't know that he's getting abused, but I do agree there are some holier-than-thou health/fitness advocates. This guy though... needs more subtlety if just an exercise in highlighting such attitudes, in my opinion!

Seriously though...talk of grilling instead of frying but nothing about the 8 pints every second night?

Guinness is good for you.

A of 7,230 people by the U.S. National Center for Disease Control over 10 years found that drinkers gained less weight than non-drinkers. Alcohol intake did not increase the risk of obesity.

The University of Denmark studied 43,500 people over 6 years, non drinkers and infrequent drinkers ended up with the biggest waistlines, daily drinkers had the smallest.

An eight-year study of 49,300 women by University College Medical School studied nearly 50,000 women over 8 years. They found that women who drank below 30 grams of alcohol a day were up to 24 per cent less likely to put on weight than non drinkers.

Nothing wrong with a feed of pints after exercise.

Magaggie wrote: »
    Woohoo! This I can get behind. :D
    But still though, eight pints most nights...?

I don't know that he's getting abused, but I do agree there are some holier-than-thou health/fitness advocates. This guy though... needs more subtlety if just an exercise in highlighting such attitudes, in my opinion!

It's the hangover that would bother me most. For some people subtlety doesn't do it. Enjoy the ride!

Guinness is good for you.

A of 7,230 people by the U.S. National Center for Disease Control over 10 years found that drinkers gained less weight than non-drinkers. Alcohol intake did not increase the risk of obesity.

The University of Denmark studied 43,500 people over 6 years, non drinkers and infrequent drinkers ended up with the biggest waistlines, daily drinkers had the smallest.

An eight-year study of 49,300 women by University College Medical School studied nearly 50,000 women over 8 years. They found that women who drank below 30 grams of alcohol a day were up to 24 per cent less likely to put on weight than non drinkers.

Nothing wrong with a feed of pints after exercise.

Once you grill your rashers, sausage and pudding.

Right.

Once you grill your rashers, sausage and pudding.

Right.

The three research projects were controlled by double blinded study of the participants intake of grilled, baked, AND fried Irish and continental breakfasts.

I guess the OP isn't the only one who is trolling.

I guess the OP isn't the only one who is trolling.

That Alf lad made it a bit obvious all right....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

OP has been banned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement