Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Land for sale?

• 31-05-2014 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

As part of my plan to begin living the Off the Grid dream I've been trying to look for land for sale in and around Ireland - I've been reading about the one acre farm avidly and really want to make a go of it.

The only issue I have is that I've been searching on internet and the only kind of land I can see for sale is farm land, which I doubt would be very useful as I want to erect a log cabin on it.

Do you guys know of anywhere where it might be possible to buy a patch of land to start living the dream?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Timmehhh

nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

well i would just check daft.ie but look for land with existing structures. or houses with some land attached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi all,
    So if you do get a piece of land and want to build, what are the legalities about self-building? Do you need planning permission even for a caravan? What is the largest size of a home you can build?

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Planning is going to be an issue.

The way I understand it is.

You can camp, but it can't be a permanent fixture.

Think tent, caravan, yurt people live in yurts :)

You can build a shed, but it can't be habitable.

You'll need a place to wash your hands, make a cup of tea, and store your tools if you're going to be working the land.
    This shed would have to be warm, dry and possible have a little stove and other bits and bobs to make it comfortable when sheltering from our inclement weather.
    It has to look like a shed.

You can house livestock, but you need to have herd numbers.

A livestock house big enough to house a few head of cattle would have to be large and comfortable, it would also need a storage tank for animal waste,it would need fresh water, it would need storage facilities for animal food, it would need power and light for those long winter evenings that visitors to the animals might need to keep themselves safe.
    I hope you can see where I'm going with all this ...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

Planning is going to be an issue.

The way I understand it is.

You can camp, but it can't be a permanent fixture.

Think tent, caravan, yurt people live in yurts :)

You can build a shed, but it can't be habitable.

You'll need a place to wash your hands, make a cup of tea, and store your tools if you're going to be working the land.
    This shed would have to be warm, dry and possible have a little stove and other bits and bobs to make it comfortable when sheltering from our inclement weather.
    It has to look like a shed.

You can house livestock, but you need to have herd numbers.

A livestock house big enough to house a few head of cattle would have to be large and comfortable, it would also need a storage tank for animal waste,it would need fresh water, it would need storage facilities for animal food, it would need power and light for those long winter evenings that visitors to the animals might need to keep themselves safe.
    I hope you can see where I'm going with all this ...........

Thanks buddy, cunning! :)

I remember reading Cody Lundun's Survival Guide where he said he lived in a Yurt for three years. Only downside was that it could get quite warm in hot weather due to lack of ventilation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Thanks buddy, cunning! :)

I remember reading Cody Lundun's Survival Guide where he said he lived in a Yurt for three years. Only downside was that it could get quite warm in hot weather due to lack of ventilation.

You can get top rings now that have a flap to open, and a solar operated vent fan would also ensure adequate air changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

The Diggers and Dreamers website sometimes has land/smallholdings for sale in Ireland.
    Also have a look at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057171737 ? (I know they're pretty desperate to sell/rent as the place is becoming too much for the elderly couple who own it.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

The Diggers and Dreamers website sometimes has land/smallholdings for sale in Ireland.
    Also have a look at ? (I know they're pretty desperate to sell/rent as the place is becoming too much for the elderly couple who own it.)

Thank you HillyBilly, very helpful, will look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Steps Lightly

Hillbilly,

Thanks,..that was close to perfect and almost within my budget..
    Have the website in favs now..

Steps

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭outdoors247

You could buy farmland and plant your own forest not ideal but an option

• Advertisement
Advertisement