Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Becky Lynch thread! **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

It's not as if many other women were great shakes at a WWE promo in the last few years anyway. Eve Torres was decent, AJ was good, Nikki's good & Sasha's good. That's about it really; the rest are either inconsistent, poor or never talk anyway. So I wouldn't be overly concerned with Becky's promo yet, she's definitely improving.

Hopefully once this "Diva's revolution" rubbish ends then the women will get actual storylines from creative which leads to less cringy scripts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

This whole bickering on the Becky Lynch thread from time to time is disgoostin. Her accent is great however, I think. It's nice to hear a voice that sounds familiar. I'm sure everyone here probably knows someone from Dublin who has an accent similar to Becky's one. It's cool.

As someone who has lived in Dublin his whole life and went to school with lads/youngwans who have that accent I can't stand it. Becky is wonderful until she opens her mouth. That being said, she's had a lot of improvement since the indies

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

rovert wrote: »
    In general Becky's voice and accent gets fierce nitpicked online not just here. She may have spent too much time watching Nickelodeon growing up or spending so much of her life in America. To me commenting on all that is fair game. It is what Irish people do with our own.

Actual lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

Her accent sounds fine to me...the red hair though, it's terrible. Go back to being brunnete.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Laurel_Patente

In fairness to Becky, she's gone from a ridiculous Irish dancing character in her debut in NXT in June last year to having one of the best matches of the year at Takeover and picking up a win at one of WWE's four big events. Yes the characterisation is a bit off at the moment but the amount of work she's had to do in the space of a year has been monumental, there's no reason to believe she can't go every bit as far as we all hope she can.

Also I would consider her mic work every bit as good as the other Divas; better than Paige who is diabolical and whilst Sasha's in ring psychology is excellent, when she is on commentary or cutting promos she can be very one note.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

As someone who has lived in Dublin his whole life and went to school with lads/youngwans who have that accent I can't stand it. Becky is wonderful until she opens her mouth. That being said, she's had a lot of improvement since the indies
    I think the improvement between now and when she debuted has been night & day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Concannon7 wrote: »
    Her accent sounds fine to me...the red hair though, it's terrible. Go back to being brunnete.

I wanted so badly to agree with this when I first saw the red (I'd call it orange) but actually, I think she looks hot with it. Combined with the goggles and the coat she has a look happening now. Rather this than the somewhat generic look she had before. It has to be said that she's maybe not quite as pretty/exotic as Sasha and she doesn't have the Flair name, so she needed something to help her stand out and I believe this was it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

She has a fairly mild Dublin accent imo (and I HATE scummy Dublin accents)and overall I think she actually speaks quite well. I'm not as familiar with her as others here but I don't hear any GMac style American twang if that's what people mean..

I'd change her ring gear and the orange hair is maybe a bit OTT but that's starting to grow on me. All of the divas suck on the mic 90% of the time so she's far from out of her depth. Can't really blame them with the inane material they are given.

The lass thing needs to go. Hopefully Bálor being Irish plays no part at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

There's been a bit of a Becklash (as she'd likely say herself!) but she still has a lot going for her. Naturally good looking, great in the ring, seems to be very popular with the other wrestlers. A real grower of an entrance tune too. I'd say off camera her work is brilliant. Her progression through the ranks has been incredibly rapid really. Who knows how much more she has to give?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

It's hard to tell what her character is meant to be in the the WWE so far alright, that being said, it's not like they've been given a story to tell beyond saying the word revolution over and over. At least she's brought some of her energetic personality across in the interviews unlike say Charlotte who's only brought her father's catchphrase (again hard to be too critical when they've been given nought), seems like she's trying a bit too hard to get as much in in a short amount of time though.

• Advertisement

I just want to see her keep having good matches. Maybe I'm biased but I even enjoyed her match with Charlotte against The Bellas last night. She appears to be super over, with audiences chanting her name in any match that she's in, I'd even think moreso than Charlotte. So that is hopefully going to be noticed by the decision makers if it continues happening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Nice of her to give props to Bayley there as well. Any word on when Natalya will be back wrestling?

Hell of a bump Nikki took there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

54e776af18c0c38514f3a253264fb2f7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

Hmm the only time Paige got legit heat in her promo was when she insulted Becky. They should take note of that if they want her to properly be a heel this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

I was listening to an F4W podcast yesterday and one of the guys mentioned that she talked like she was deaf? I don't hear anything wrong with how she speaks other than she doesn't quite know her voice yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I just can't take to Becky in recent weeks unfortunately. Her personality comes across as very forced on screen and she doesn't seem comfortable. Hopefully she finds her feet soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

I was listening to an F4W podcast yesterday and one of the guys mentioned that she talked like she was deaf? I don't hear anything wrong with how she speaks other than she doesn't quite know her voice yet.

She definitely has some kind of speech impediment. Becky talks the same way my friend does who has had hearing problems for years. I can still understand everything they both say so its not that big a deal.

What Becky does in the ring more than compensates for her mic skills.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Maybe we shouldn't jump to "speech impedemnt" so quickly? Tbh, to me she sounds like a Dub with a thick accent trying to pronounce her words so Americans can understand her....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Maybe we shouldn't jump to "speech impedemnt" so quickly? Tbh, to me she sounds like a Dub with a thick accent trying to pronounce her words so Americans can understand her....

Yeah, that's what I always thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Lord TSC wrote: »

Yep thats exactly what it sounds like. But the constant need for ppl to put a label on others means Becky is now either deaf or has a speech impediment :rolleyes:

General point I do think Becky will be fine on the main roster. Its still early days and while not having a huge presence yet there is no problem with slowly adding to her character bit by bit. In a division full of natural heels like Charlotte, Paige, Nikki and Sasha, Becky seems to be the only natural face. Come WM time or maybe the feud coming out of Mania I think that will be Beckys time to step up and (pardon the pun) TakeOver

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

LeeJM wrote: »
    Yep thats exactly what it sounds like. But the constant need for ppl to put a label on others means Becky is now either deaf or has a speech impediment :rolleyes:

General point I do think Becky will be fine on the main roster. Its still early days and while not having a huge presence yet there is no problem with slowly adding to her character bit by bit. In a division full of natural heels like Charlotte, Paige, Nikki and Sasha, Becky seems to be the only natural face. Come WM time or maybe the feud coming out of Mania I think that will be Beckys time to step up and (pardon the pun) TakeOver

Shes been given garbage by WWE creative in terms of scripted lines and I believe TSC is on the money with his assessment above. Becky has had acting training and is quite good in her delivery, but shes got nothing to work with in terms of decent dialogue and is suffering as a result.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Why does she wear the goggles? I guess it's supposed to be steampunk.. but why?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Why does she wear the goggles? I guess it's supposed to be steampunk.. but why?

cos it's merch WWE can sell... but yeah it's just for the (Steampunk) look.

tbh I think Becky will do very well and how she is (or not) being pushed atm will actually help her imo.

People may reject Charlotte being pushed too fast and The Bella's need time before they just move aside. By the time Becky finally gets her face push (as pointed out above she is one of the only true faces on the roster) the Divas title picture should instead be lead by people like Sasha and until then she can impress with her in ring ability while wrestling people like Nattie and have time to practice her mic skills etc.

A feud between Paige and Becky would be pretty good down the line I think. At the moment she's in a pretty good position. She's definitely better off than Alicia Fox and Tamina Snuka because she's at least getting screen time due to accompanying Charlotte to the ring. I just hope they don't have her turn on Charlotte somewhere down the line, because it will be hard to buy into Charlotte being the one who's gotten the short end of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

Not sure where everyone's getting the speech impediment thought from. I've met her and talked to her, and she didn't come across as deaf to me. She has a Dublin accent, not quite thick, but has lived in America for years at a time. Irish accents are notoriously hard for Americans to properly understand - so I'm guessing those not used to that kind of accent would be a bit thrown off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I saw a video on her Twitter the other day and it sounded like she was over enunciating. Maybe due to a perception that she wouldn't be understood if she spoke in her normal way.

On Chris Jericho's podcast Renee Young explains WWE sent her for weeks of elocution lessons to ensure she pronounced things and spoke in a certain way. Guaranteed Becky has been coached to enunciate. She's not ****ing deaf people, seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Pentecost wrote: »
    I saw a video on her Twitter the other day and it sounded like she was over enunciating. Maybe due to a perception that she wouldn't be understood if she spoke in her normal way.

Bit like Conor McGregor so, he always gets accused of sounding American when really he's just slowing down so he can be clearly understood

Becky might have become self concious about her accent round the time she had that backstage talk with Sasha Banks and she said "dizcustin"

Advertisement