Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 1 month cancellation notice

Options
  • 31-05-2014 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭

Is that right? Is such notice required for eircom when switching to different provider?

I was with 12 months contract with eircom, which expired on 1st May. Obviously they were still providing me with the service, but without the contract.

On 5th of May I contacted Vodafone to switch my phone line and broadband. They said they will arrange everything, and eventually they did. By 19th May all my services were running with Vodafone.

My billing period with eircom was from 25th April to 24th May.
    Service charges with eircom are paid in advance, so I had my services (phone line and broadband) paid in advanced on last bill on 24th April, all up to 24th May.
    They sent me down closing bill on 24th May, on which I have €15 refund for services I paid for, but not availed from (because I switched to Vodafone before 24th May), but they also issued 22 euro penalty charge, for cancelling their service without 1 month notice, which effectively made a bill of €7 euro.

Is this 22 euro penalty charge justified in any way, considering I was not in contract with them?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You were in contract with them because your 12 month contract automatically rolls over to a continuous one instead; which is also why you have an actual service after the first 12 months. The notice period is also standard with all providers and are part of the T&C.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I think comreg needs to get a switching code in place. This one practice along would stop me going to eircom because there has been a number of people on boards who have stated that they gave the 1 months notice and found themselves cut off instead of being switched. All stories unfortunately pointed to sharp practice. VF however should know the real situation and advise accordingly.

the 22 euro should be easily recouped with the savings you are achieving with VF though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

TheDriver wrote: »
    I think comreg needs to get a switching code in place. This one practice along would stop me going to eircom because there has been a number of people on boards who have stated that they gave the 1 months notice and found themselves cut off instead of being switched. All stories unfortunately pointed to sharp practice. VF however should know the real situation and advise accordingly.

the 22 euro should be easily recouped with the savings you are achieving with VF though

To be fair it is far from just eircom. I had the same issue with 3 and know people who had similar with other service providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

TheDriver wrote: »

That's exactly what I read.
    Have I given them my 30 days notice, they would switch off my line, and it'd probably take weeks for Vodafone to have it up again, and me without my broadband for prelonged period. That's definitely a thing I wished to avoid.

Nody wrote: »
    You were in contract with them because your 12 month contract automatically rolls over to a continuous one instead; which is also why you have an actual service after the first 12 months. The notice period is also standard with all providers and are part of the T&C.

Where can I find those T&C of the contract that rolled over to continuous?
    Eircom never provided me with any T&C or actual written contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

That's a very unusual setup. I know with mobiles, after your contract term is up you need to give 30 days to do a straight cancellation but if you're porting to another network, they look after it and it's done in a day, no issues. With this shambles, you're either going to have a period of paying 2 providers for 1 service or you're going to be without connection for a short while, stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

Ring your bank and get a chargeback?

I already cancelled my direct debit with eircom last month, as I was kinda expecting them charge me this cancellation fee.
    I'm not going to pay this €7 bill, and I'll do everything I can to recoup remaining €15 they owe me.

Here's some more info in relation to this subject.
    http://community.eircom.net/t5/First-Final-Bill/Final-Bill/m-p/66601/highlight/true#M1360

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

Eircom already were rapped on the wrists for this by come, I'll see if I can find it got you later or if you look through my old posts you will find it here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Get on to the comreg, this has been the subject of a recent decision; see attachment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Have eircom accepted this?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Have eircom accepted this?

If you read through the .PDF Eircom has already had a reply to this which ComReg dismissed.

This is a Final decision. They HAVE to comply with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Delta2113

"Eircom will prominently publish full details of its requirements
    for changing service provider on its website"

Can anybody find this yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Delta2113 wrote: »
    "Eircom will prominently publish full details of its requirements
    for changing service provider on its website"

Can anybody find this yet?

If you're moving provider, ring your new provider let them take care of it. When eircom send you the final bill send them back a letter with the decision attached CC'ing the comreg.

I'd personally invite them to take you to court and that any attempt to pass the mater on to a debt collector would be considered defamation but that's just me so don't take that as legal advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

This post has been deleted.

I got a cheque in the post last week giving me back the money they had charged me for moving from eircom to Vodafone. Has anyone else got cash back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Yep.

Advertisement