Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Films

• 31-05-2014 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

Anybody watching the World Cup films on weekend mornings on BBC2. It was chile 1962 this morning and each film gives a total rundown of the football in 1 and a half hours - not bad. The films might be in colour from England onward but definitely Brazil. TV pictures in England were BW.

There is another one tomorrow at 9am.

Worth checking out.

Italy 82 is a great tournament believe me. Set your recorders for that!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Are they on every morning? I'd love to see the 2002 film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Great idea for a thread.. This is the BBC 1994 film

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I5KKu1_TIRM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Are they on every morning? I'd love to see the 2002 film.

every saturday and sunday mornings....... great watch......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

1966 (and all that) final tomorrow at 9 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Can these be found online anywhere? Only a couple available on youtube as far as i can see. A really enjoyablr watch, the best quality world cup recap ive seen, would like to watch a few more of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Speaking of World Cup films, this is fantastic

Fantastic documentary.

Edit: Fast forward to about 00:58 to start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I saw the 1962 one this morning.

Among the highlights being the narrator's description of the 'bout of mild disappointment' of the Mexico keeper after conceding the only goal in the last minute to much fancied Spain. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

1966 Film is great. As for the final - no way was that a goal. And the linesman was Armenian not Russian.

Second time ive seen that goal in colour - it clearly shows it wasnt a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

The 1986 one is fantastic, it's the one with Michael Caine narrating. I don't see the 1958 one on their site now, will it be back on it or is that it gone for good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

thelad95 wrote: »
    Speaking of World Cup films, this is fantastic

Fantastic documentary.

Edit: Fast forward to about 00:58 to start.

Great documentary. I've just watched it. Thanks:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

1966 Film is great. As for the final - no way was that a goal. And the linesman was Armenian not Russian.

Second time ive seen that goal in colour - it clearly shows it wasnt a goal.

It was miles over the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Been watching a few of the 30 For 30 Soccer Stories over the last couple of days.

Watched the Hillsborough one, which is pretty good, obviously enough most of the stuff is known, but it's up-to-date to the most recent outcomes. Very good documentary.

From the series I've also watched the one about Barbosa, the Brazil keeper from the 1950 Final, who the whole country still blames for losing the match - in fairness he did let one near post :p.

There's one about Maradona, Garrincha, the Chile team who opposed General Pinochet and a kind of sickening look at the Jules Rimet Trophy. I've not watched the Ceasefire Massacre one yet, that's about the massacre in a pub in NI on the day Ireland played Italy at USA94.

From the Original 30 for 30 series, The Two Escobars is a great documentary about Pablo Escobar the Drug Lord and Andres Escobar the Colombian player shot dead after scoring an OG at USA94, well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Been watching the Official World Cup Films on BT Sport 1,the story of the 86 World Cup is on tonight,

The camera men spent more time showing the Brazilian women in the crowd rather then then football in the 1982 film :D

Is there any films about the European Championships?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

From the Original 30 for 30 series, The Two Escobars is a great documentary about Pablo Escobar the Drug Lord and Andres Escobar the Colombian player shot dead after scoring an OG at USA94, well worth a look.

It's a while since I saw that, from what I remember was it the documentary that explained it really had nothing to do with the OG moreso than a fight outside a bar and the general lawlessness in Columbia at the time.

I might be mixing it up with another documentary on Pablo Escobar though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

The Irish Independent had a promotion before the 2010 finals where readers could get a DVD weekly for each official World Cup film. Some collection to have, the France 98 one is my favourite

dfx- wrote: »
    It's a while since I saw that, from what I remember was it the documentary that explained it really had nothing to do with the OG moreso than a fight outside a bar and the general lawlessness in Columbia at the time.

I might be mixing it up with another documentary on Pablo Escobar though

That's how I remember it too but people prefer to think that it was because of the OG. That doc gets a lot of hype but I was a good bit underwhelmed by it. There's about ten good ones in that series but this isn't one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

these are on iplayer too for about a week after they've aired, 3/4 days left for '62/'66

the BBC are also showing the '86 QF between england & argentina online/BBC sport app today

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭chillian17

These look class, thanks for the tips!

Film of the 1990 World cup on tonight on BT Sports 1 at 10pm

Should be good :)

batistuta9 wrote: »
    these are on iplayer too for about a week after they've aired, 3/4 days left for '62/'66

the BBC are also showing the '86 QF between england & argentina online/BBC sport app today

I think they're showing the West Germany vs England semi final from 1990 on Saturday lunchtime too. Can't wait.

Might switch off the penalties :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I don't understand why we don't get something similar to Americas Game for the WC or Champions League winners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Film of the 1990 World cup on tonight on BT Sports 1 at 10pm

Should be good :)

I think I saw that a few years ago and three things struck me about the England v West Germany semi final.

1. From the angle the camera is at you can really get an idea of the power of the penalty shots.

2. The large amount of union flags rather than St George's flags.

3. The amount of empty seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I think I saw that a few years ago and three things struck me about the England v West Germany semi final.

1. From the angle the camera is at you can really get an idea of the power of the penalty shots.

2. The large amount of union flags rather than St George's flags.

3. The amount of empty seats.

I think with the changes in British society since point two would be different nowadays. That's the point your making anyway I think.

Yeah the popularity of the George's Cross rose with Euro 96 and the rise of nationalism in Wales and Scotland. Prior to that 'England' and 'Britain' were fairly interchangeable in effect.

vidor wrote: »
    The 1986 one is fantastic, it's the one with Michael Caine narrating. I don't see the 1958 one on their site now, will it be back on it or is that it gone for good?

Found it in case anyone else is looking for it:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Anybody know where to find the FIFA films? I've looked for years after missing out on the Independent giving them away 4 years ago, and they're really hard to source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Anybody know where to find the FIFA films? I've looked for years after missing out on the Independent giving them away 4 years ago, and they're really hard to source.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fifa-Collection-1930-2006-Region-Import/dp/B004VRAZYY/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1401973865&sr=8-10&keywords=fifa+world+cup+films

1930 - 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Review of Mexico 70 was on bbc 2 this morning. Germany 74 on about 9am tomorrow and Argentina 78 next Saturday morning.
    The Mexico one looked like something that was first broadcast about a month after the finals ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

WC 2002 film is on BT Sports tonight at 9pm! My fav one as Ronaldo absolutely stole the show!

Kleenex at the ready, have a feeling I may be wiping all 3 eyes later on ;) :pac:

ronaldo-20021.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

kfallon wrote: »
    WC 2002 film is on BT Sports tonight at 9pm! My fav one as Ronaldo absolutely stole the show!

Kleenex at the ready, have a feeling I may be wiping all 3 eyes later on ;) :pac:

*snip*

F*ck sake! The one I really want to see and it's on at the same time as Game of Thrones! :mad:

Decisions, decisions, decisions... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BBC showing Norn Iron v Spain on the red button. just kicked off.

edit - Only highlights package I think.

Oh too late Armstrong has scored.

mike65 wrote: »
    BBC showing Norn Iron v Spain on the red button. just kicked off.

edit - Only highlights package I think.

TG4 should throw on a few World Cup Gold matches like they used show years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Bumping this to say BBC2 are showing a few more of these films this weekend

Saturday 8.35am - 1986
    http://www.locatetv.com/tv/world-cup-films/season-1/8667510

Sunday 7.55am - 1990
    http://www.locatetv.com/tv/world-cup-films/season-1/8667792

I think it's the official FIFA films, the billings are slightly vague.The 1986 one is class.

Advertisement