Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to go from sale agreed to sold?

Options
  • 31-05-2014 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

I know every house is different but what's the average? We went sale agreed in middle of March, paid deposit and all that but still to date, there's no contracts received from the vendors solicitor. We asked our solicitor to send his solicitor a letter to ask them to hurry on but nothing yet, very frustrating.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

random10 wrote: »
    I know every house is different but what's the average? We went sale agreed in middle of March, paid deposit and all that but still to date, there's no contracts received from the vendors solicitor. We asked our solicitor to send his solicitor a letter to ask them to hurry on but nothing yet, very frustrating.

There is no average when it comes to closing a sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

We're waiting a year

• Registered Users Posts: 29 maki2011

same situation a...

i got sale agreed and paid booking deposite in the end of April,

still wait ..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Maybe the seller is waiting for permission from the bank to sell.
    They could be in negative equity .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

I'm into month eight. Dose. Most frustrating experience of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭manor

Normally takes 8 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

We are five months... And likely to be longer still as our vendors are in negative equity

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

manor wrote: »
    Normally takes 8 weeks

Every case is different, so there's no "normally".

the average time for a sale to complete is 2-3 months.
    Sometimes people lose documents,
    solicitors have to check deeds ,to make sure everything is there .
    Your solicitor can email or ring up the sellers solicitor,
    and ask what is the delay.?
    Banks have been known to lose documents which can delay the sale going thru .

WE are not at the point yet where all transactions can be done electronically,
    ie there are still paper documents used in a house purchase .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

riclad wrote: »
    the average time for a sale to complete is 2-3 months.
    Sometimes people lose documents,
    solicitors have to check deeds ,to make sure everything is there .
    Your solicitor can email or ring up the sellers solicitor,
    and ask what is the delay.?
    Banks have been known to lose documents which can delay the sale going thru .

WE are not at the point yet where all transactions can be done electronically,
    ie there are still paper documents used in a house purchase .

This is what happened me. Anything that could be lost, was. For a couple that had the house on the market for a year they were completely unprepared. They were also at the beginnings of a separation/divorce so that added to the messiness.

The fighting caused delays. Then, they didn't have an architect's cert for a garage conversion that had been done, then they didn't have their marriage cert which was needed for the closing documents I think. Then my bank had to send my mortgage to the underwriters before they could issue the loan check as it had been so long since I had been accepted.

8 weeks my foot!!! Nearly there though, thank god!

• Advertisement

THE average time is 2 -3 months,
    if theres no lost document,s,
    house is not in negative equity.
    There s no delay from the bank, re processing documents.
    THE Solicitor checks things , like maps,boundarys, etc these are paper documents
    You don,t want to buy a house and find some else has a claim on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ButtUcks

riclad wrote: »
    THE average time is 2 -3 months,
    if theres no lost document,s,
    house is not in negative equity.
    There s no delay from the bank, re processing documents.
    THE Solicitor checks things , like maps,boundarys, etc these are paper documents
    You don,t want to buy a house and find some else has a claim on it.

Total agree with the above -

Although we went from sale agreed to exchange of keys after 13 weeks (only recently) , we could have completed the transaction within 6 to 8 weeks!!
    Reason being that both our solicitor & the buyers were on top of their game and the buyer herself wanted to move in asap.
    However, we were the cause of the delay as we were in two minds as to wait for AIB's tracker switcher mortgage (I understand the detail is to be announced within the next month or two) or risk losing the house we are trading up to.
    In the end we sold our house and will be moving in to our new house shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭random10

we are still waiting went sale agreed in March so frustrating, our solicitor can't understand the hold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭random10

we are still waiting went sale agreed in March so frustrating, our solicitor can't understand the hold up.

finally both sides have signed the contracts, onto snag list now, five months and counting. nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

There definitely isn't a normal. We went from sale agreed to sold ( keys in hand) in 6 weeks and one day.

In our case we were very ready to buy and had mortgage approval in place and the vendor already had the deeds out of storage ( there was no outstanding mortgage on the property).

I hope the rest of your purchase goes quickly random10

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

I went sale agreed on selling my house last November and the person who bought moved on in 4 weeks I was ready to move and they were anxious to move in . That included small negative equity and deeds having to be got from bank . It can be done the solicitor on her side hounded mine and was all completed very quick but I am told this is unusual. I am sale agreed a month now and hoping it will only be another month waiting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

It really depends on the solicitor, we bid on a house in March 2010 and we moved in in May same year.

Advertisement