Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotspot ;(

• 31-05-2014 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

:( Lucy has a hotspot on her neck/throat where her collar would sit. The collar is definetly not too tight and is only used for her tags (I always have her lead attached to her harness) - I'm assuming it's from it getting wet in the mornings when she goes in the river?

Is there anything I can put on it/wash it with? She's scratching it a litte but not going mad - I've taken the collar off and put a (loose) bandana around her neck to shield it in case she scratches.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I'd take the collar off and attach her tags to her harness when out and about, at least til it clears up. My pair wear fairly loose half slip collars that sit well down on their necks, Benson used to have sensitive skin issues so I don't like having a regular collar on him. (it also tends to make the hair curl on his neck :o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Have you hibi scrub? If so wash it in that and if you had any fuciderm or even some tea tree or aloe Vera would do if you didn't have any fuciderm.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ACD

When our dog had a hotspot, we had to shave/cut the hair around it to get air to the wound (it was already quite "raw" )and also to stop the hair sticking to the wound. Our vet recommended Betadine to dry it out, which did help and it healed. But if it's a bigger spot, you may need medication. (Ours was about a size of 1 Euro coin)

And the most important thing, don't let her scratch it, it is mad itchy and if scratched it can get pretty nasty very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks guys! The hair is long so I'll clip it to help air it and so we can get a better look at it. I think we might have some hibiscrub too if not I'll get some or betadine tomorrow morning. At least the vet is open all weekend if we need them!
    She's so good - she went to scratch it earlier and just one "ah-ah!" and she stopped!

....And I jinxed myself there - she's now wearing a kong cloud type of inflatable collar and baby socks on her paws, chewing on the special fallow antler I had hidden away to distract her from scratching! :p I clipped the hair away - the spot that's oozing is small but her neck is all sore from her scratching - she has big scratch marks down it :( I washed it with warm saline for now so it wouldn't sting her and will check it again in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Actually air is not what you want because if you "dry it out" it will take longer to heal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

The vets will always cut the hair off around hot spots to let the air at it to dry them up. Hot spots are wet so they do need go dry up. Reason I know this is because I can't shave or cut hair on mine as I show them and I wouldn't let vets cut the hair so I always had to try get them to heal up without doing that.

If it doesn't dry up then they stay wet and that's how they don't heal. I've a lot of experience with hot spots as Rotties are very prone to them and I have to manage them without bringing them to the vets if I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It was looking much better, took of her little socks while she went out to the loo and she scratched at it. :( If it doesn't improve by tomorrow evening I'll be taking her to the vet on Tues. Starting to wonder now if it's a hot spot or if she might have gotten bitten by another dog who was pushing her around during the week :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

I usually clip the area and dab some athlete's foot powder on it after cleaning with saline and drying , works well on my golden retriever.

Advertisement