Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Northern Ireland to South (Cavan)

Options
  • 31-05-2014 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello Everyone, I would like to seek advice about moving to south Ireland (Cavan) from Northern Ireland due to job.

I have 2 children 15 and 13. My elder child is doing Yr 11 here in north, and will be going to 2nd Yr of Jnr Cert this Sept....

Please advice what will be the procedure for getting admission in south?? Are there any exams that have been missed by my child this year (1st yr of Jnr Cert...)? My child will be 16 next year, so it will be second year of Jnr. Cert as it is called in south.

I am a bit worried on this issue. Also please advice what are the good girls schools near Cavan, I am still looking for a house so not sure if I will be in Cavan itself but will not be too far from there.

How is the place - Ballyjamesduff to live and schoolwise..?

Appreciate the sincere advices. Thanx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Just for clarification, secondary school in southern Ireland typically consists of 2 cycles: Junior cycle (three years, culminating in Junior Cert) and Senior cycle (2 years, culminating in Leaving Cert) with an optional year between cycles, Transition Year (Transition year is compulsory in some schools, but not all). Your 15 year old has presumably completed GCSEs or is about to, so might be best off starting Transition Year, a good chance to settle in without exam pressure. The Junior Cert isn't a requirement for sitting the Leaving Cert.
    In terms of advice re the area and schools, you'll probably get some advice here but might be a good idea to post a separate thread in the 'regional' forum for specifics.
    Edit: hope that helps, welcome to boards, and good luck with the move :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sure2014

Thanks Dee mc
    My daughter is in Year 11 and her GCSEs were going to be held next year in Yr12. She will be in the year where children 15-16 year old go in South. She is now finishing her 4th year of secondary school in June 2014. Will she be going in 2nd year of Junior cert ?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

sure2014 wrote: »
    Thanks Dee mc
    My daughter is in Year 11 and her GCSEs were going to be held next year in Yr12. She will be in the year where children 15-16 year old go in South. She is now finishing her 4th year of secondary school in June 2014. Will she be going in 2nd year of Junior cert ?

No she will go to 5th year.1 year after the junior cert and 1 year closer to the junior cert

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Junior Cycle: 1st, 2nd, 3rd year
    Transition Year (a non-academic year usually consisting of work experience, programmes aimed towards developing 'life skills', voluntary work etc)
    Senior Cycle: LC1 and LC2 (sometimes referred to as 4th and 5th year, sometimes 5th and 6th year)

Depending on the school, your daughter may be encouraged to sit the Junior Cert (third year - she might be a little older than the average student). Doing the Junior Cert could be an advantage, seeing as she hasn't experienced formal examinations before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

sure2014 wrote: »
    Hello Everyone, I would like to seek advice about moving to south Ireland (Cavan) from Northern Ireland due to job.

I have 2 children 15 and 13. My elder child is doing Yr 11 here in north, and will be going to 2nd Yr of Jnr Cert this Sept....

Please advice what will be the procedure for getting admission in south?? Are there any exams that have been missed by my child this year (1st yr of Jnr Cert...)? My child will be 16 next year, so it will be second year of Jnr. Cert as it is called in south.

I am a bit worried on this issue. Also please advice what are the good girls schools near Cavan, I am still looking for a house so not sure if I will be in Cavan itself but will not be too far from there.

How is the place - Ballyjamesduff to live and schoolwise..?

Appreciate the sincere advices. Thanx

You've probably thought about this, but might it work better for you to live in Northern Ireland and commute? Cavan town is 40 mins from Lisnaskea (for example) Ballyjamesduff is 10 mins more. Surely it would be better for your daughter to finish her GCSEs, even at a different school as the change would be much much less than having to change to a completely different system.

Once she'd finished Year 12 in NI you could then reassess the situation and move nearer to Cavan if necessary. It would be a better time to move for both children then. Or you may decide to move to another job back in NI.

Alternatively could your daughter stay with a friend/relative near her existing schools during the week and travel down to see you at the weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 tyler98

im from cavan go to loreto college

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭orlaxxx

I wouldn't really advise starting in the middle of the junior cert..
    It would be much better to start the 15 year old in Transition year(an exam free year) and then let he/she start the first year of the their leaving cert in 2015

The current circumstances force me to move to the south. Im relocating with ny enployer. Its a good job I have n dont wanna loose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Ballyjamesduff has its own secondary school,if your most teenagers are 16 in or around doing their junior cert,your daughter would almost certain be better to start when she will be going into transition year,
    There are a few schools around if ballyjamesduff is your chosen area,
    St Clare's college in bjd or Virginia college is not too far away either. There are a lot more to choose from nearer to Cavan town though

I am now confused - Ballyjamesduff or Cavan ?

I wont mind little travelling but want to be in a better place in terms of schools and sorroundings ( ppl where I live/ neighbourhood).

Will schools in Ballyjamesduff be better, is cavan seems to be too crowded and it has attracted loads for foreigners as well. I am not sure if that is good or bad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Does it HAVE to be ballyduff? You have some lovely little towns and villages closer to Cavan town like Stradone village,Laragh,ballinagh,ballyhaise,which would be closer to Cavan town then ballyduff so would be in the catchment area for Cavan towns secondary schools.
    The secondary schools in Cavan town are
    Loreto college) all girls school
    St pats :all boys school
    Breffni college :mixed school

No, it doesn't really has to be ballyjamesduff, just it has its own good schools.
    But you are right there are small villages in cavan catchement.

The problem I am facing is there are no nice houses in cavan area for rent. I dont like living in estates personally, and cant find a bungalow types available, unless they are too old, which I dont want.

Finding it very difficult to decide which way to go, as schools will be closed for this term next week, so I dont have much time to make a decision.

Advertisement