Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for an opinion ?

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Have you discussed your ban with the mod who banned you? That's the first step you must take as set out above. If you cannot come to a satisfactory resolution with the mod then one of the Sports CMods will look at your appeal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Howshocowpownw

Beasty wrote: »
    Have you discussed your ban with the mod who banned you? That's the first step you must take as set out above. If you cannot come to a satisfactory resolution with the mod then one of the Sports CMods will look at your appeal

Never got a reply.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Never got a reply.
    Have you given it the 2 days as set out above?

OK, I've now been in touch with the mod that banned you. It's quite clear that you made absolutely no attempt to resolve the issue with the mod, but you simply resorted to name-calling.

Now you were not banned for "an opinion". You were banned for trolling. You have made a total of 12 posts in the forum. Most of those were in a thread you started concerning drinking alcohol on a golf course. You included statements such as
    You can read ? If you have learning difficulties I apologize.
    that is essentially insulting another poster. Then you stated
    The Irish would be known worldwide for liking a pint.
    Which resulted in the thread being closed with a comment from the mod about steryotyping the Irish in this way.

Once that thread was closed you moved onto the Rory McIlroy thread and basically gloated when he had a bad day. The mod banned you for that, given you had already shown a pattern of trolling within your posting in the forum (and indeed elsewhere on the site)

If you had engaged with the mod about your ban then this dispute thread may never had been required. Your posts in the forum show all the hallmarks of a troll.

Hence to draw this to a conclusion I would ask what you would want to achieve when regaining access to the forum? Are you going to continue posting in a controversial manner, with the likelihood of winding up other posters (which constitues trolling), or are you going to start posting in a constructive manner? If the latter I would consider lifting your ban. However I would need some assurance over your future behaviour. If you give me the assurance I am looking for your ban will be lifted (not overturned, as some punishment for your posting in the forum is certainly warranted). However if you then continue to post in a similar controversial manner as before your ban will be re-instated

OK, I've now been in touch with the mod that banned you. It's quite clear that you made absolutely no attempt to resolve the issue with the mod, but you simply resorted to name-calling.

Now you were not banned for "an opinion". You were banned for trolling. You have made a total of 12 posts in the forum. Most of those were in a thread you started concerning drinking alcohol on a golf course. You included statements such as
    that is essentially insulting another poster. Then you stated
    Which resulted in the thread being closed with a comment from the mod about steryotyping the Irish in this way.

Once that thread was closed you moved onto the Rory McIlroy thread and basically gloated when he had a bad day. The mod banned you for that, given you had already shown a pattern of trolling within your posting in the forum (and indeed elsewhere on the site)

If you had engaged with the mod about your ban then this dispute thread may never had been required. Your posts in the forum show all the hallmarks of a troll.

Hence to draw this to a conclusion I would ask what you would want to achieve when regaining access to the forum? Are you going to continue posting in a controversial manner, with the likelihood of winding up other posters (which constitues trolling), or are you going to start posting in a constructive manner? If the latter I would consider lifting your ban. However I would need some assurance over your future behaviour. If you give me the assurance I am looking for your ban will be lifted (not overturned, as some punishment for your posting in the forum is certainly warranted). However if you then continue to post in a similar controversial manner as before your ban will be re-instated

Yeah, that first one I can't defend in fairness. I don't know why you're taking a shot at my thread though. If you read through it then it's clear many had the same experience.

The Irish would be well know for liking a drink. IMO that was going was over the top, baiting at it's finest. I'm positive that examples of comments of that nature could be found through out the forum.

I was glad he had a bad day ? Is it the case we have to support every player/club/owner etc ? If that is considered "trolling" how the poster beneath me wasn't banned is a mystery(well not really) This dispute forum should be full also. If I say "I'm glad Rory didn't win" Of course it has the potential to get a reply from a Rory supporter. Is that not the point of the forum ? Discussion, opinion, banter ?

• Advertisement

So far in this thread I have seen absolutely no attempt from you to try to understand where you are going wrong with your posting. You have ignored the flowchart at the top of the page and have shown no inclination that suggests to me that you may reconsider your posting style within the Golf forum

Your reference to the "poster beneath you" is interesting - that posts highlights how constructive comment can be contrasted with your own post which as I've already stated was essentially gloating at a player's misfortune. There is no requirement to support a particular player, but there are basic standards of posting expected which you fell way behind.

I asked you a couple of questions in my previous post that you have chosen not to respond to. In the circumstances I am seeing no reason to lift your ban

I have made an attempt, I've asked you clear questions for the reason of understanding what's considered appropriate posting on this fourm. As I don't understand the reason I was banned. That post highlights that mods choose to see "Trolling" where they want. Gloating ? No. Just stated my own feelings/opinion on the matter. Again I ask, does this not happen on other sport forums football, NBA, NFL ? Cheering against other teams/ rivals/ personnel one dislikes ?

Hence to draw this to a conclusion I would ask what you would want to achieve when regaining access to the forum

I like golf so access to the golf forum would be something I'd want. Achieve ? Golf discussion and general viewing of threads.

are you going to continue posting in a controversial manner, with the likelihood of winding up other posters (which constitues trolling), or are you going to start posting in a constructive manner?

In my opinion I hadn't started, but if I can get a clarification on what's considered "posting in a controversial manner" I'd be happy to refrain. It's ridiculous to me that anyone would perceive the post in the McIlroy thread as this.

I have made an attempt, I've asked you clear questions for the reason of understanding what's considered appropriate posting on this fourm. As I don't understand the reason I was banned. That post highlights that mods choose to see "Trolling" where they want. Gloating ? No. Just stated my own feelings/opinion on the matter. Again I ask, does this not happen on other sport forums football, NBA, NFL ? Cheering against other teams/ rivals/ personnel one dislikes ?
    Well firstly you failed to ask the question of the mod that banned you. I have now attempted to explain the difference based on the post you mentioned, so let me try and spell it out for you again
    It has been a joy to watch Rory today.
    is gloating over the poor performance of an Irish player on an Irish website, which may well encourage other posters to react in a negative manner = trolling
    Hard to understand Rory's golf.
    Dream golf yesterday.
    Nightmare golf today.

Hope he gets it right tomorrow.
    is constructive discussion
    I like golf so access to the golf forum would be something I'd want. Achieve ? Golf discussion and general viewing of threads.
    maybe a month off will encourage you to have a think about your posting style and hopefully avoid future problems. I've tried to engage with you with a view to finding a way to lift the ban here and now, but you seem to not wish to do so. Hence as I said last time I'm seeing no reason to lift the ban at this stage
    In my opinion I hadn't started, but if I can get a clarification on what's considered "posting in a controversial manner" I'd be happy to refrain. It's ridiculous to me that anyone would perceive the post in the McIlroy thread as this.
    See my initial comments within this post

Well firstly you failed to ask the question of the mod that banned you. I have now attempted to explain the difference based on the post you mentioned, so let me try and spell it out for you again
    is gloating over the poor performance of an Irish player on an Irish website, which may well encourage other posters to react in a negative manner = trolling
    is constructive discussion

maybe a month off will encourage you to have a think about your posting style and hopefully avoid future problems. I've tried to engage with you with a view to finding a way to lift the ban here and now, but you seem to not wish to do so. Hence as I said last time I'm seeing no reason to lift the ban at this stage

See my initial comments within this post

Ah, I see now. No problem ! negative comment against Irish players is "Trolling" because it's an Irish website. Are other nationalities are fair game ?

Thanks for spelling it out, I'm not as advanced as an Irish person.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Ah, I see now. No problem ! negative comment against Irish players is "Trolling" because it's an Irish website. Are other nationalities are fair game ?

Thanks for spelling it out, I'm not as advanced as an Irish person.

It's abundantly clear to me that you have no intention of learning anything from this episode.

When this current ban runs its course, you'll have access to the forum again. At that time, you can decide whether you want to engage in actual discussion in the spirit of the forum, or get banned again - your choice.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement