Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History: Dates in the Question

• 31-05-2014 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering how important are the dates mentioned in the questions asked? A question in '07 was for the Détente essay, but specified 1973-89. However some of the material in the essay such as SALTI's framework which occurred in 1969 and Nixon's visit to China in1972, occurs outside the dates. Does this mean that examiners will discount/mark down for using this material? Or do the dates not matter much?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭PaleMoonlight

My teacher has told us we are allowed to give some background info like maybe a paragraph or two just as long as the main body of the essay is within the dates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

You can (and should) give context in the before dates but in the main you have to talk about the events of those dates. Then in the closing you can give the consequences and mention dates after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

So for the purposes of the detente essay, I couldn't talk about Nixon's visit to China, only in the introduction? If I was to play dumb and not mention it happening in 1972, would I definitely lose marks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

You could talk about how the visit influenced further events or whatever but yes, probably not a good idea to play dumb with it and write two pages on it or anything. You wouldn't lose marks, but there's only a certain amount they can give you for it I presume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

You could talk about how the visit influenced further events or whatever but yes, probably not a good idea to play dumb with it and write two pages on it or anything. You wouldn't lose marks, but there's only a certain amount they can give you for it I presume.

Ah it'd only be mentioned in a paragraph, the visit itself wasn't really important, moreso Nixon's tactics of isolating Russia to persuade them to sign SALT2

• Advertisement
Advertisement