Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squatters rights

Options
  • 31-05-2014 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

My landlady just called to the house to discuss and wanting to check the condition of the house without giving me 24 hours notice I might add. I didn't let her in. She also mentioned raising the rent, I've only been renting this place a year (mid June) but her accountant says she must raise it every year or the tenant is entitled to squatters rights. I'm pretty sure she's wrong but does anyone else have any more info?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

She is either misinformed or just plain old bull****ting you. She can increase the rent once in a 12 month period (assuming there isnt a contract covering that period. ie. at the end of a 1 year lease the rent can be upped but if you signed a second 1 year lease the LL has to wait until the end of that before increasing the rent). Nothing to do with squatters rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Squatter rights do not exist in Ireland in the same way they do in other european countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

She is either misinformed or just plain old bull****ting you. She can increase the rent once in a 12 month period (assuming there isnt a contract covering that period. ie. at the end of a 1 year lease the rent can be upped but if you signed a second 1 year lease the LL has to wait until the end of that before increasing the rent). Nothing to do with squatters rights.

Thanks, yeah, as I suspected. Misinformed I think. Well, I'll tell her she can increase it after mid June then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Toxica wrote: »
    Thanks, yeah, as I suspected. Misinformed I think. Well, I'll tell her she can increase it after mid June then.
    She is only allowed increase the rent up to the market rate so if other places in the area are commanding much lower or the same rent as you are currently paying your LL might not be entitled to raise the rent.

Advertisement