Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Gyms in Dublin??

Options
  • 31-05-2014 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey, can anyone recommend a good gym in the city centre at a reasonable price? I'm in the market for a new one - or does anyone know the monthly price for Crunch Fitness in Temple bar (student rate preferably) and if they offer gym roaming to Dun Laoghaire?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The Finglas branch of Dublin City Council gyms are doing an open day and special price for one day only- June 7th. You can use their facilities for free on June 7th and also sign up at a reduced rate- €210 for 11 months rather than the usual €310 for a year. With the membership you can use other DCC gyms and swimming pools, including the one in Townsend St, Dublin 2. They themselves might also have the offer on, ring them to find out.

€210 for 11 months membership in a gym with a swimming pool is a pretty good bargain IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Flyefit Macken Street is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 RN001

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The Finglas branch of Dublin City Council gyms are doing an open day and special price for one day only- June 7th. You can use their facilities for free on June 7th and also sign up at a reduced rate- €210 for 11 months rather than the usual €310 for a year. ith the membership you can use other DCC gyms and swimming pools, including the one in Townsend St, Dublin 2. They themselves might also have the offer on, ring them to find out.

€210 for 11 months membership in a gym with a swimming pool is a pretty good bargain IMO.

Sounds like a pretty good deal! I'll prob go down and check it out! Thanks!

Hanley wrote: »

Does it get busy in the evenings?? I heard that it can be difficult to get a bench/machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP if this lad says anything positive about a gym you can take it as gospel its an excellent gym.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The Finglas branch of Dublin City Council gyms are doing an open day and special price for one day only- June 7th. You can use their facilities for free on June 7th and also sign up at a reduced rate- €210 for 11 months rather than the usual €310 for a year. With the membership you can use other DCC gyms and swimming pools, including the one in Townsend St, Dublin 2. They themselves might also have the offer on, ring them to find out.

I have a membership with the Finglas gym. Can I really use it in any of them?!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Depends what you want from a gym, OP. I want heavy things to push and pull, benches to sit/lie on when I'm pushing and pulling the heavy things, and a working shower to use when I'm finished pushing and pulling the heavy things.

I'm with Carlisle, but Dunne has Jervis st as well. If you're as easily pleased as me, the current offer of 15 months for €179 is hard to beat.

Are you looking for something fancy?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

endacl wrote: »
    If you're as easily pleased as me, the current offer of 15 months for €179 is hard to beat.

that's right, its great value for money. I go to Dunnes gym and have no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

sullivlo wrote: »
    I have a membership with the Finglas gym. Can I really use it in any of them?!

Not all DCC facilities but a good few of them. I know for a fact you can use it in Ballymun gym and swimming pool as I used my Finglas membership there last week. Also you can use it in Marciveiz Centre in Townsend St, D2 and as far as I remember so e community centres/football pitches at Cabra and Poppintree. There might have been one or two more, I wasn't listening to the guy fully- the only thing I wanted to know was could I use it in the city centre swimming pool,and he said I could, and to use their gym too so I was happy with that.

btw I don't do weights myself or anything but for those that do they should check out the weights room in Balllymun gym- it's a pretty new facility and the weights section there is huge, quiet and empty enough too from what I saw at 5pm on a weekday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

If you sign up to Crunch in Temple bar you can use their Westmanstown Gym and their dun Laoghaire gym for free. Westmasntown is handy for the parking.

I think the student rate is €54 a month but could be wrong. They definitely do a reduced rate yearly price for students.

• Advertisement

xalot wrote: »
    They definitely do a reduced rate yearly price for students.

They'd want to!!! 54 a month is nearly 650 a year!

Is it a magic gym?!?

RN001 wrote: »
    Does it get busy in the evenings?? I heard that it can be difficult to get a bench/machine.

Every single decent gym in every major city in the world gets busy in the evenings.

It's like asking if there's traffic at rush hour :)

There's more benches and racks than most anywhere else in FlyeFit, so even if it is busy you stand an above average chance of getting a good wokrout anyway!

endacl wrote: »
    Depends what you want from a gym, OP. I want heavy things to push and pull, benches to sit/lie on when I'm pushing and pulling the heavy things, and a working shower to use when I'm finished pushing and pulling the heavy things.

I'm with Carlisle, but Dunne has Jervis st as well. If you're as easily pleased as me, the current offer of 15 months for €179 is hard to beat.

Are you looking for something fancy?

:)

No nothing too fancy just somewhere to get a decent work out done and leave! €179 is a very tempting offer!

No nothing too fancy just somewhere to get a decent work out done and leave! €179 is a very tempting offer!

http://www.bendunnegyms.com/jervisstreet.aspx

There you go! €9 cheaper again if you find somebody to join up with you.

Every single decent gym in every major city in the world gets busy in the evenings.

There's more benches and racks than most anywhere else in FlyeFit, so even if it is busy you stand an above average chance of getting a good wokrout anyway!

I'm going to head down tonight and check it out!

Yeah I know it was a slightly obvious question but some gyms are much worse then others - No to mention any gym in particular but if I have to wait for a bench while someone else is just sitting on one posing I don't think I can cope lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

I'm going to head down tonight and check it out!

Yeah I know it was a slightly obvious question but some gyms are much worse then others - No to mention any gym in particular but if I have to wait for a bench while someone else is just sitting on one posing I don't think I can cope lol

FlyeFit on Macken Street, in my experience, is completely unbearable in the evenings. It is so busy. My gym isn't that busy in the evenings but it's expensive enough although not for the quiet element and swimming pool!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

Sorry I know this is an old thread.

Currently in The Maldron on Cardiff Lane and FlyeFit Macken St is literally next door. Membership is nearly the same but this idea of 24hr opening really appeals to me!!

I tend to be waiting at the door in the Maldron at 6.30am to get in and smash some weights around and roar like a gorilla-beast but would really love to get in a bit earlier! How busy are we talking at that hour? The Maldron is like a graveyard which i love!! Like most I cant stand waiting on machines.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

Hi, Does anyone know any gyms in Dublin, preferably west Dublin, which are "proper" gyms and not leisure centres, i.e. lots of squat racks, pull-up bars, plyometric boxes etc as opposed to lots of the the usual sit-down machinery you get in a lot of places or leisure centres. Also lots of space to stretch and move, etc, i.e. to do circuit type training. Somewhere along the lines of a "warehouse" gym. Not looking for any fancy swimming pools or changing room facilities either.

Hi, Does anyone know any gyms in Dublin, preferably west Dublin, which are "proper" gyms and not leisure centres, i.e. lots of squat racks, pull-up bars, plyometric boxes etc as opposed to lots of the the usual sit-down machinery you get in a lot of places or leisure centres. Also lots of space to stretch and move, etc, i.e. to do circuit type training. Somewhere along the lines of a "warehouse" gym. Not looking for any fancy swimming pools or changing room facilities either.

Strength and Fitness Westside should fit the bill. Or Animal Barbell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

Strength and Fitness Westside should fit the bill. Or Animal Barbell.

Thanks Hanley. Will check both of those out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement