Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alarm need for house insurance?

Options
  • 01-06-2014 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Mate was wondering what sort of alarm is needed a the very minimum to get either house insurance, or contents insurance? He had a bit of a scare, and asked me to look into it, but I'm unsure if an alarm is needed for contents insurance, or what sort of a house alarm is needed for house insurance? It's fully attached to buildings on both sides, if that matters.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I personally know people who have house contents insurance without an alarm so it's not necessary. It would reduce the cost but no idea how much.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Rother

You dont need an alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

+1. alarm simply reduces the premium

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

TheDriver wrote: »
    +1. alarm simply reduces the premium
    What sort of difference are we talking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Just to add to the whole insurance with alarm vs insurance without alarm. If you use the alarm to reduce your premium and for whatever reason it wasnt on at the time due to you forgetting or waiting for a guy to come out and fix it the insurance probably wont pay out if broken into so its something to weigh up with the reduced premium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

^^

This. We had a break in after the alarm was inadvertently left off. Insurance didn't want to know.

Plus, when have you ever heard of somebody hearing a house alarm go off, and actually do something besides complain about the noise?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just to add to the whole insurance with alarm vs insurance without alarm. If you use the alarm to reduce your premium and for whatever reason it wasnt on at the time due to you forgetting or waiting for a guy to come out and fix it the insurance probably wont pay out if broken into so its something to weigh up with the reduced premium.
    Awesome to know. There shall be no alarm in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

I think it's around 5% or so. Not worth the risk.

Advertisement