Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home owner logdings. Where do I find them.

Options
  • 01-06-2014 8:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭

I am talking about long term lodgings where a room is rented in a family home, B & B style.

No matter what search I enter into google. All I get is student accommodation on or off campus.

I am a professional who may consider this from of accommodation in the future.

Can someone please point me in the right direction to see what is out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Supup wrote: »
    I am talking about long term lodgings where a room is rented in a family home.

No matter what search I enter into google. All I get is student accommodation on or off campus.

I am a professional who may consider this from of accommodation in the future.

Can someone please point me in the right direction to see what is out there?

Put up an add seeking that type of accommodation on daft and Gumtree, the owner occupiers will find you.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

In my experience Rooms to rent under the "rent a room" scheme are usually advertised locally on staff notice boards for example. A friend of mine who gave up her lease when planning to emigrate put a notice up in supermarket near her office looking for a room for three months. A local B& B operator responded and this worked out for both parties. Maybe try something like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

:confused:

Daft > sharing > search.

Most of the results you get will be sharing with other professionals. Why would you want to live with a strange family?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Daft > sharing > search.

Most of the results you get will be sharing with other professionals. Why would you want to live with a strange family?
    Cheaper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭Supup

murphaph wrote: »
    Cheaper.
    Much cheaper methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is what you want the thing that is called "digs" here?

Where the family provides you with an evening meal, a bedroom, and sometimes access to the living room?

Is what you want the thing that is called "digs" here?

Where the family provides you with an evening meal, a bedroom, and sometimes access to the living room?

That is exactly what I'm looking for. :)

I'm not pushed on the family. If its a home owner who is single, that would be fine too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

That is exactly what I'm looking for. :)

I'm not pushed on the family. If its a home owner who is single, that would be fine too.

Not sure how you think this is going to be cheaper than housesharing :confused:

athtrasna wrote: »
    Not sure how you think this is going to be cheaper than housesharing :confused:

One off payment. No bills on top of the weekly/monthly arrangement.

Often more 'relaxed' arrangement also which is mutually beneficial.

No concerns with someone leaving and looking for a new tenant. All that headache is not applicable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Daft > sharing > search.

Why would you want to share with strange professionals?
    This way, you are also tied into a lease and more likely than not, joint and several liability.

As for renting a room with a "family" (often a single person who has a room or rooms for letting).
    No problem with leaving - usually just a month,s notice.
    No lease to tie you in to stay.
    Often the utilities are included.
    House usually maintained in good condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, some people just post on here with the area that they're looking at.

Other options are noticeboards in local shops and companies (read them yourself and/or put your own notice up) and someone who knows someone. Or ask the parish priest - he's likely to know (sometimes older) people who could do with making money in this way.

Or you could try looking thru the sharing section on Daft and ringing and asking, but most won't be looking for that kind of deal.

OP, some people just post on here with the area that they're looking at.

Other options are noticeboards in local shops and companies (read them yourself and/or put your own notice up) and someone who knows someone. Or ask the parish priest - he's likely to know (sometimes older) people who could do with making money in this way.

Or you could try looking thru the sharing section on Daft and ringing and asking, but most won't be looking for that kind of deal.

Some good advice there. Thank you everyone for your input. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Some good advice there. Thank you everyone for your input. :)
    On Daft, go to the advanced search option and there is an option to select if you want to rent with an owner occupier.

odds_on wrote: »
    On Daft, go to the advanced search option and there is an option to select if you want to rent with an owner occupier.

Excellent!

Goiing there now.

There were some possibilites there alright.

However the ideal scenario ifor me is as a lodger where I pay fr bed and board. A bit like a B & B only on a smaller scale. Maybe family run b & B's would be an option for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Maybe family run b & B's would be an option for me.
    Many will do an off-season rate if you were staying on a regular basis, esp as it means a regular payment.

the_syco wrote: »
    Many will do an off-season rate if you were staying on a regular basis, esp as it means a regular payment.

Thats what I'm thinking. :)

Advertisement