Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A in junior cert English?

Options
  • 01-06-2014 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

okay so I need some last minute tips for English. I got a B in the mocks (75%) and I'm hoping for an a. I think my teacher is a strict corrector. Whats the best essay type to pick? I'm thinking personal narritive NOT short story but an essay on an experience I have had.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hf98kk

I picked the debate one in the mock and got a good mark. I think just pick the one most suitable for you, the examiners are just looking for the quality of your writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MissCupcake

hf98kk wrote: »
    I picked the debate one in the mock and got a good mark. I think just pick the one most suitable for you, the examiners are just looking for the quality of your writing.

what do you think about learning an essay?

I don't know, would you be able to change it to fit one of the titles? And is it your own essay? Personally, I haven't really thought about doing it. I think I'll do the debate which has similar titles every few years, its nearly always about young people.

I don't know, would you be able to change it to fit one of the titles? And is it your own essay? Personally, I haven't really thought about doing it. I think I'll do the debate which has similar titles every few years, its nearly always about young people.
    yes its my own! I might do the young people too always something to so with them. I might brainstorm a few points before the exam obesity etc.

yes its my own! I might do the young people too always something to so with them. I might brainstorm a few points before the exam obesity etc.[/quote
    also do you think I could get the A?

• Advertisement

yeah an A is very achievable. Just manage your time sensibly. Its better to finish all of the questions than to get full marks on the first half of the paper and then have to really rush the rest of it, especially in paper 2. If you just get 13/15 for each question in p2 that is an A.

yeah an A is very achievable. Just manage your time sensibly. Its better to finish all of the questions than to get full marks on the first half of the paper and then have to really rush the rest of it, especially in paper 2. If you just get 13/15 for each question in p2 that is an A.

thanks! I just checked I could fill in my essay in the following years 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 and 2011

thanks! I just checked I could fill in my essay in the following years 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 and 2011

not 2012 or 2013 though

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

If you're planning on doing a debate you should prepare an introduction and conclusion before and learn it off, you'll be able to use them no matter what the title is.

emersyn wrote: »
    If you're planning on doing a debate you should prepare an introduction and conclusion before and learn it off, you'll be able to use them no matter what the title is.
    thanks, I'm still thinking I might do the essay I wrote

• Advertisement

Could you give me an example of a good introduction and conclusion please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Im also thinking of doing the debate speech questions as its not too difficult to pick up marks in. Can anyone give me rough intro and conclusion they use in their speech as I think i want to spend less time on that and more time on my thoughts and opinions for whatever the title is

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

My teacher gave me this for the sample opening and conclusion:

Opening: Ladies, gentlemen, everyone. I would like to thank each of you for attending my speech today, in which I shall be arguing for/against the idea that [insert motion]. As we all know, in today’s world this issue is a controversial and topical one. During the next several minutes I shall be expressing my reasons for agreeing/disagreeing with this motion, and I sincerely hope that I convince each of you to agree with me before I finish talking.

Conclusion: I would like to thank each of you for taking the time and courtesy to listen to my speech. I sincerely hope that I have convinced you of/that [statement relating to motion]. If I have not managed to waver your opinion today, hopefully my arguments will spur you to further examine exactly why you are [statement relating to motion] and help you to consider whether your views are truly valid. Thank you again for listening, and have a safe journey home.

Make sure to keep addressing the audience directly throughout the speech and throw in quotes and anecdotes.

My teacher gave me this for the sample opening and conclusion:

Opening: Ladies, gentlemen, everyone. I would like to thank each of you for attending my speech today, in which I shall be arguing for/against the idea that [insert motion]. As we all know, in today’s world this issue is a controversial and topical one. During the next several minutes I shall be expressing my reasons for agreeing/disagreeing with this motion, and I sincerely hope that I convince each of you to agree with me before I finish talking.

Conclusion: I would like to thank each of you for taking the time and courtesy to listen to my speech. I sincerely hope that I have convinced you of/that [statement relating to motion]. If I have not managed to waver your opinion today, hopefully my arguments will spur you to further examine exactly why you are [statement relating to motion] and help you to consider whether your views are truly valid. Thank you again for listening, and have a safe journey home.

Make sure to keep addressing the audience directly throughout the speech and throw in quotes and anecdotes.

Thanks just the kind of thing i was looking for. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Hi, I'm doing the junior cert in 3 days and I was wondering, is it a certainty that a debate speech will come up for (HL) english? I was looking over the past personal writing questions over the years and a debate speech has come up 12 out of the 14 years in our exam papers. The last time it hasn't come up was in 2004. Is it a definite question?

Hi, I'm doing the junior cert in 3 days and I was wondering, is it a certainty that a debate speech will come up for (HL) english? I was looking over the past personal writing questions over the years and a debate speech has come up 12 out of the 14 years in our exam papers. The last time it hasn't come up was in 2004. Is it a definite question?

Yup 2004 was 10 years ago and since then it has come up every year so pretty sure it will come up this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Do whatever one suits you really. I'm in Leaving Cert now but I got an A in my JC mock and actual JC and I used pretty much the same essay in each exam. I didn't learn it off, not even close, but I already had an idea in my head and constructed it in the exam.

I was pretty much banking on a title suiting the essay I'd done before and there were three titles that suited it on the day. One of them suited me perfectly. Luck played a big part in this however.

So, if I were you I'd go in with prepared thoughts and then work with the titles you're given on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭orlaxxx

I know this probably sounds a bit strange but last year I received an A in my junior cert english!
    The day before the exam I wrote down a list of words that sounded good and like I knew what I was doing and tah dah I got an A!
    Also for a speech just learn off a few rhetorical questions and a good beginning and a conclusion good luck! !

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

orlaxxx wrote: »
    I know this probably sounds a bit strange but last year I received an A in my junior cert english!
    The day before the exam I wrote down a list of words that sounded good and like I knew what I was doing and tah dah I got an A!
    Also for a speech just learn off a few rhetorical questions and a good beginning and a conclusion good luck! !

What start,conclusions and rhetorical questions did you use

• Advertisement

coolerboy wrote: »

yes, some examples please!

coolerboy wrote: »

Look on the previous page of this thread. Someone posted a really good opening and conclusion for a debate speech question :)

For english paper 2 should i spend longer on the studied or unseen section

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

The unseen as you have to read a paragraph and answer questions. You should know your studied stuff well so it shouldn't take as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

The tendency would be to spend longer on studied (for me anyway). But it may be worth your while to spend longer on the unseen considering you've never seen it before but should be prepared for the studied section. Do whatever feels right for you.

Advertisement