Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babywearing Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Suucee wrote: »
    Yea what is it with peoples looks. Nearly make you feel bad or weird or something. I seen a group of people chatting (about 4) and they all turned and looked at me at the same time and quickly looked away. I could feel my face burning. I actually went through an aisle so I wouldn't have to pass them.

My son was born in winter so for his first few months I used to wear my maternity coat when babywearing, and zip it up over both of us. The looks I used to get, wearing this massive lumpy coat with a little head decked out in a blue wooly, pompomed hat, were really funny. I got a lot of actual double takes, but most people seemed pretty positive once they confirmed I actually had a baby with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

January how are you getting on with jpmbb. Luke seems to prefer RS than buckles but its not agreeing with me. I cant wear him tummy to tummy so have him slightly towards the hip he's happy but im uncomfortable (still have flare ups of spd) in the buckles im pretty comfortable but he doesn't seem to like it as much as jpmbb. How long do people get out of jpmbb. Ring sling is quicker on and off .
    Ugh I don't really need it. I shouldn't even be considering another so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

The ring sling definitely takes a lot of getting used to... Sound like a jpmbb or a Moby or some other stretchy wrap might be nice! My mil actually acknowledged the ring sling looked really comfy today... Shocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I'm so sad my little monkey is too heavy for his Kari me now :( only 4 months old, but in 6-9 month clothes and is sooo solid. My ergo 360 doesn't arrive til aug. ill have to buy something else to bridge the gap!

• Advertisement

Had him in RS again today. But im still uncomfortable. I prefer the ssc but for convienience i thought the RS be handy. I use the ssc on long walks etc and RS was supposed to be for popping into shops but really achy in it. Really leaning towards a stretchy that i can just put him in and out of and leave it on me. .

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Bosley1421

Suucee wrote: »
    Had him in RS again today. But im still uncomfortable. I prefer the ssc but for convienience i thought the RS be handy. I use the ssc on long walks etc and RS was supposed to be for popping into shops but really achy in it. Really leaning towards a stretchy that i can just put him in and out of and leave it on me. .

That's a pity about the rs. They are great when they click for you, but difficult to get at the start and it sounds like you could have other pain issues.

Stretchies are so handy for newborns. I'd say you would roast in the jpmbb at the moment though, a hana baby or other bamboo blend would be lovely.

Bosley1421 wrote: »
    That's a pity about the rs. They are great when they click for you, but difficult to get at the start and it sounds like you could have other pain issues.

Stretchies are so handy for newborns. I'd say you would roast in the jpmbb at the moment though, a hana baby or other bamboo blend would be lovely.

Yea still seeing physio for spd. will head to a sling meet soon and see what I can do but I think its more to do with spd than position . Was thinking jpmbb basic (the lighter one). Will see how sling meet goes anyway. he is 3 months though so not much of a newborn anymore.

Ah you poor thing, spd is a nightmare I've heard. Yes, you might not actually get much time in a stretchy if baby is 3 months! A fwcc in a woven wrap is very easy to leave on while taking baby in and out, so may be another option.
    I'm sure there will be loads of gorgeous wraps and carriers to try out at your meet anyway!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I got a Storchenwiege Inka yesterday from Koalacubs and I am in love:)

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I got a Storchenwiege Inka yesterday from Koalacubs and I am in love:)

Gorgeous! I love my storch Leo rs. They are so strong.
    How is it breaking in for you? Storchenwiege stripes can be stiff at the start!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think it is pretty soft :) have not had a lot of time to play with it yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Ladies any advice appreciated : ) I have a little 6 month old fairy who now hates her buggy - when we are out and about she cries until she is lifted out and is then happy to be carried everywhere!! Any suggestions as to what carrier to try - something her daddy can use also? We tried the M&P Flex when she was a squish and she fell asleep the first time but hated it after that (too warm or maybe uncomfortable?)

Soooky wrote: »
    Ladies any advice appreciated : ) I have a little 6 month old fairy who now hates her buggy - when we are out and about she cries until she is lifted out and is then happy to be carried everywhere!! Any suggestions as to what carrier to try - something her daddy can use also? We tried the M&P Flex when she was a squish and she fell asleep the first time but hated it after that (too warm or maybe uncomfortable?)

Theres so many to choose from. And everyone is different as is every baba. Deffinetly recommend trying to get to a sling meet to try a few and see what suits you both. Babywearing ireland sling addicts support and advice fb page is great for info.

I prefer soft structure carriers as does my OH but there are even loads of different types.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

quote="Soooky;91001576"]Ladies any advice appreciated : ) I have a little 6 month old fairy who now hates her buggy - when we are out and about she cries until she is lifted out and is then happy to be carried everywhere!! Any suggestions as to what carrier to try - something her daddy can use also? We tried the M&P Flex when she was a squish and she fell asleep the first time but hated it after that (too warm or maybe uncomfortable?)[/quote]

There are so many different ones to try. I've an ergobaby which is great but recently borrowed a kibi from my local library and loved it so I'll be investing in one as it'll do both my girls for a few years! You should look up the Babywearing Ireland Facebook page lots of helpful advice and also information about sling meets around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Thanks for the replies! I am looking at the tula carrier - I think I would prefer a carrier to a sling (well I think my OH wouldn't be too keen on wearing a sling!!)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I don't like the JPMBB :(, don't get me wrong, it's a gorgeous sling and so secure etc but I really do not have time to faff about tying it all the time with 4 kids... It takes ages to tie... can it be pre-tied?

January wrote: »
    I don't like the JPMBB :(, don't get me wrong, it's a gorgeous sling and so secure etc but I really do not have time to faff about tying it all the time with 4 kids... It takes ages to tie... can it be pre-tied?

Yes, absolutely!
    Tie your wrap as usual in a pocket wrap cross carry, then lower the pocket and pop baby's legs either side of the crosses and pull the pocket back over her. Make sure it's nice and tight when wrapping, don't worry about leaving extra room for the baby as a stretchy should be nice and snug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

January wrote: »

I'm the same! I don't use my jpmbb ATM coz it's so warm. I'd love a Tula but moonneeyyyyy

Lusting over the Connecta atm :eek: I swear my fiancé is going to kill me the way I'm going through slings at the moment. My RS is sooo great though, Luke loves it and I get so many compliments when he's in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

That's a shame January :( but I think all slings/wraps are like that; you either love them or you don't. I loved it when A was tiny but then I started using the ergo and stuck with that. I hardly ever used the ergo on O. I know a woman who used the jpmbb until the baby was about a year old.

You definitely need something easy and hassle free to use when you've got other smallies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I got a bit adventurous later on when it came to slings, but I know at the start I wanted slings that had the least amount of steps :) So I loved the Emeibaby as once you adjust it, you only have two buckles to secure when you pop the baby in. Wrapping is nice but it's not as convenient, unless you do a poppable carry, but I found it annoying to have the fabric around me when baby wasn't in the sling.

Think if I had another baby I would use a RS rather than a stretchy. Its all subjective though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

Why don't you sell your jpmbb January to fund a connecta, there is good fsot page on Facebook and most slings hold their value well.

I loved my stretchy when he was small and would use it on the next one, I than moved to buckles as I thought they were easier. I've just been lent a woven though and really love carrying him in a ruck and takes the same amount of time to put him in the kibi

I bought the jpmbb basic. its lovely but even though its lighter than the original I still find it warm. I wont leave it on when baba not in it cause its too warm. I use my RS popping in and out of shops or for short times but constantly find myself reaching for my beco soleil (ssc) love love love it. Both kids fit in it so tend to chop and change if out for a while with single buggy. Luke much prefers the RS but I find it a bit achy after a while . Have toddler tula too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I've decided I'm going to wait until bubs is 18 months n then buy a toddler Tula or connecta!

Sweet_pea wrote: »
    Why don't you sell your jpmbb January to fund a connecta, there is good fsot page on Facebook and most slings hold their value well.

I loved my stretchy when he was small and would use it on the next one, I than moved to buckles as I thought they were easier. I've just been lent a woven though and really love carrying him in a ruck and takes the same amount of time to put him in the kibi

I got the JPMBB at a bargain price from another boardsie so if I was selling it on it would be for that price, wouldn't like to make a profit on it. Will put it up on the FSOT page soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

loubian wrote: »
    I've decided I'm going to wait until bubs is 18 months n then buy a toddler Tula or connecta!

There's a carrier you can get called a Kibi which goes from 4 months to 3/4 years. I recently rented one and it was fab. Used it for both my girls. Just an idea if you'd like something now but obviously don't want to have to pay for a new one in a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The ergo is going wrong for me... 15 wk old just keeps chewing the strap with teething. I can't keep her away from it, and then it's all wet and she won't sleep in it. The only way I can get it away from her is to tighten it up, but then I'm nervous it's too tight and she can't breathe. Grrrr!

^^^Suck pads should help with the chewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Apparently my baby is an accessory :pac: Two women got out of the lift we were in yesterday, I had my 8 month old in her Ergo. As the doors closed I could hear one of them saying, 'that's this new babywearing thing I was telling you about'. The other said something along the lines of 'makes the baby into an accessory'. I thought it was very funny. It is odd, the looks you get though.

Advertisement