Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parrot

• 01-06-2014 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi, i really would like to get a parrot but i amnt sure which type to get. I would be able to spend 2/3 hours each day with it during the week and 4/5 each day with it on the weekend. Is this too little for a parrot to spend with the owner?also id prefer a quiet affectionate bird to a loud talkative bird, if there any types who are generally like this?and please tell me if 2/3 hours and 4/5 hours is just to little, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭burtslimpslon

Anyone?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭stoeger

What ever you do get a young one we adopted a cockatoo that was 10 year's old we have him 2 years now and he is very loud and can be very aggressive towards strangers . If im out in the garden cuting the lawn I can hear he roaring over the lawnmower and we have a acre .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

There are some birdy people who use this forum OP, but you may have to wait a day or two for a response from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Hi op,
    The bigger parrots like macaws, greys and toos need a lot of attention and time or they'll develop problems.
    For what you describe, maybe a pair of hand reared cockatiels? They are not really loud, and one will keep the other company until you're home. They are a more forgiving for a beginner owner than the bigger parrots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Hi op,
    The bigger parrots like macaws, greys and toos need a lot of attention and time or they'll develop problems.
    For what you describe, maybe a pair of hand reared cockatiels? They are not really loud, and one will keep the other company until you're home. They are a more forgiving for a beginner owner than the bigger parrots.

I'd second this, any parot from Myers/Senegal size up to a McCaw needs more than a few hours a day. Some of them could also out live you if looked after well!

Cockatiels are great birds, they can't be trained to talk like an African grey but do learn tunes, some tricks etc.
    Please don't buy from a petshop. I've never seen a petshop that looks after it's livestock well, especially the birds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I had a Black Headed Caique for 4 years until a Sparrowhawk took him as I used to let him loose around the garden daily.

If you have a pet cat then don't get a parrot. A pet parrot is very very demanding they are like a young child and if you take it on you have got be prepared to look after it for all of your lifetime as I know the Amazon parrots live for over 70yrs of age.

Another thing is if you have neighbours close to you then it's a bad idea as parrots are extremely noisy.

Advertisement