Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Prius overview.

Options
  • 01-06-2014 10:03am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Herself is thinking of buying a Prius from around 2009 / 2010. I'm trying to get a simple overview of them.

So they are half electric / half motorised.

1. When is electric in play versus normal motor in play ?

2. Is the petrol tank a lot smaller than other similar sized cars - like 30 litres or something ?

3. Is it a very quiet car ?

4. Any special or different maintenance needed in these - presume they have a timing belt / chain and cylinders, spark plugs etc ?

5. Does the battery have to be charged at a charging point ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yes, the electric motor can assist, or completely do the job of the petrol engine.

Usually when accelerating, the electric motor will ease the load on the petrol engine. I'll post a video that'll explain better.

2. Is the petrol tank a lot smaller than other similar sized cars - like 30 litres or something ?
    No, its a 45 litre tank

3. Is it a very quiet car ?
    Not particularly. The engine can be a bit thrash at high revs, and there's a bit of road noise. On a smooth road in electric-only mode its eerily quiet though

4. Any special or different maintenance needed in these - presume they have a timing belt / chain and cylinders, spark plugs etc ?
    Servicing go is no more than a regular 4 cyl engine. Timing chain.

5. Does the battery have to be charged at a charging point
    No. The battery is charged by the petrol engine and regenerative braking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yes, the electric motor can assist, or completely do the job of the petrol engine.

Usually when accelerating, the electric motor will ease the load on the petrol engine. I'll post a video that'll explain better.

Thanks Colm

I think I heard somewhere that if you keep the speed below 30mph that only the electric motor is in play. But this means that the battery would have to be fully charged. Does it take long to charge this battery - like do you have to do an hour or so of braking to get the battery charged up again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Do you need the boot space? Auris hybrid with same engine /gear box as gen 3 prius can be got for much less money. Auris hybrid regularly getting 57mpg in the city.

Take one for a test drive, quite a few garages have brought them in from the uk. Toyota uk warranty changed in 2010, so many 2011 onwards imports will have 5 year warranty, if service history up to date.

Thanks Colm

I think I heard somewhere that if you keep the speed below 30mph that only the electric motor is in play. But this means that the battery would have to be fully charged. Does it take long to charge this battery - like do you have to do an hour or so of braking to get the battery charged up again ?

The all electric range is only good for a few Km's tops. The hybrid control system takes care of charging the battery in the background. You just drive it like a regular car....

Yeah. The EV mode is more of a novelty than anything else. Afaik, if you let the car decide itself, its more efficient.

• Advertisement

Yeah. The EV mode is more of a novelty than anything else. Afaik, if you let the car decide itself, its more efficient.

It's handy the very odd time, like swapping cars around in the drive way or if your moving from one car park to another not too far away. These cars are great a low speed manovering and parking...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Do you need the boot space? Auris hybrid with same engine /gear box as gen 3 prius can be got for much less money. Auris hybrid regularly getting 57mpg in the city.

Take one for a test drive, quite a few garages have brought them in from the uk. Toyota uk warranty changed in 2010, so many 2011 onwards imports will have 5 year warranty, if service history up to date.

Would the 5 year warranty be valid in Ireland, though?

If it's serviced on the button at a toyota garage I can't see why not. Worst case scenario if toyota Ireland won't touch it send it up to newry.

The same holds for bmw's which are sold with a longer warranty in the uk.

What's EV mode ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I bought a 2012 Auris Hybrid recently. It is a UK car but bought from a dealer here in ROI. I was told that the 5 year warranty is only valid in the UK so if anything happens you need to get the car up North.

• Advertisement

What's EV mode ?

EV mode uses purely electric power for as long as the battery lasts. Once the battery is depleted, the petrol engine will kick in.
    Handy for short trips like moving the car out of the way but i wouldn't really use it too much. The car is better at regulating itself if you just leave it in eco or normal modes.

Miscreant wrote: »
    I bought a 2012 Auris Hybrid recently. It is a UK car but bought from a dealer here in ROI. I was told that the 5 year warranty is only valid in the UK so if anything happens you need to get the car up North.

Have the same myself, what sort of mpg you getting?

Miscreant wrote: »
    EV mode uses purely electric power for as long as the battery lasts. Once the battery is depleted, the petrol engine will kick in.
    Handy for short trips like moving the car out of the way but i wouldn't really use it too much. The car is better at regulating itself if you just leave it in eco or normal modes.

Sounds like the electric motor on its own isn't worth a sh1t3 really ; )

Does it only work on its own at under 20 mph or something

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

If you want to get in technicallity of it, then you have one combustion engine and two electic motors (one bigger, one smaller).
    They all work together at the same time. Electric motors can act as either electric motor or generator for charging battery. Combustion engine might be off at lower speeds, but that's not the aim of car technology to drive without combustion engine for any prelonged amount of time. Combustion engine just turns off when it's not needed (f.e. during braking, slowing down or crusing at very low speeds).
    From driver point of view, you just put the joystick on D, press the accelerator pedal, and keep direction with your steering wheel - that's all average drivers can be interested in

It's handy the very odd time, like swapping cars around in the drive way or if your moving from one car park to another not too far away. These cars are great a low speed manovering and parking...

I know the mk2 Prius won't let you go into EV mode unless the engine is up to temp. Maybe mk3 is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I know the mk2 Prius won't let you go into EV mode unless the engine is up to temp. Maybe mk3 is different.

Mk 3 will let you use EV mode immediately once the battery has some charge in it, but once the engine kicks in it has to stay on til it's up to temp, usually 2-3 minutes. It's handy if you are swapping cars around in the driveway, for example.

It will do up to 50 km/h by itself, or it will do up to 75 km/h when the engine gets it up to speed; i.e. the petrol engine can shut down and it will cruise on battery alone. It will also shut down if you are cruising down a hill, up to at least 120 km/h, the battery will also be charging at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Was looking into the prius and i's economy just this past week. Came to the conclusion that plug-in was the only one worth getting. Second hand that is. They still command a premium, but they seem to have general efficiency gains that the regular model really doesn't have. 13 miles electric, running up to 60mph vs 2-3 running up 30ish mph. 57mpg vs 137mpg claimed. 90 minute charge time. The catch is they never seemed to sell them here, but there is a few in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Is Mad_Lad ill????

Or Ibml ;)

Have the same myself, what sort of mpg you getting?

Sorry, only spotted this now. I'm getting mid 50s with the best being 57.4. Only filled up 3 times since I got it in early April though. Traded in a 2l petrol Volvo for it so any newer car was going to be better on fuel and I didn't want to go diesel.
    What are you getting?

• Advertisement

I'm pretty much getting 57mpg. Have mine about the same time. €50 does two weeks instead of one!

You will probably gradually increase that if you try. I'm up to mid-60s in the Prius now after a year .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Dragons Den Sean O Sullivan told Gay Byrne tonight that he drives a Toyota Prius . just saying.........

As long as it's not the other way around, I'm happy!

BMJD wrote: »
    You will probably gradually increase that if you try. I'm up to mid-60s in the Prius now after a year .

Just have to get used to the whole pulse and glide thing. One thing I wonder though is about being stopped in traffic. I put the car in Park to stop it creeping but I'm afraid of wrecking the gearbox. Any tips on this one BJMD?

The Prius is more clever than us. it'll just kill the engine if you put in in "P"

Don't be worrying

Herself is thinking of buying a Prius from around 2009 / 2010. I'm trying to get a simple overview of them.

One of the most reliable cars in the world, Known to go beyond 400,000 miles without major maintenance.

battery failures are rare, mostly in hot U.S climates.

In the MK III 09+ there are 0 belts. Steering, A/C, Water pump are electric.

Gearbox oil must be replaced every 100,000 miles, I had mine done in the MK II and it was manky.

No major servicing required, oil, sparks, filters and the usual.

I really love the power delivery in the prius, none of that annoying lag and narrow power band of most manual diesels.

I regularly get 60-64 mpg.

EV mode can be selected straight away but once the engine starts the warm up phase it can't be stopped.

EV mode is not to be used only at lights when sometimes the engine won't turn off. Driving in EV mode will kill the battery quickly and isn't very efficient.

Pulse and glide is a great way to increase mpg, it takes time to learn, basically at up to 71 kph you back off the accelerator and push gently until no energy flows on the monitor, you're now costing which is more efficient than regen.

Push gently on the accelerator and you'll use energy from the battery and it's basically coasting with a gentle push of the motor. This works up to all speeds.

Using pulse and glide I can go through some towns and villages using absolutely no fuel at all. And on the open road it makes a difference.

I got the prius with 74,000 Kms and have nearly 200,000 kms, 0 failures .

Regarding noise, under hard accelerating it's noisy but not more so than most cvt's. Once up to speed it's quiet.

Though the MK III is quieter because the engine is more powerful.

Motor power is limited mostly due to the battery,

You'd pick up a nissan leaf much cheaper than a Plug In Prius.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

You'd pick up a nissan leaf much cheaper than a Plug In Prius.

Why would you make that comparison?

Why would you make that comparison?

Yeah. I'm confused on this too

• Advertisement

Yep, the boot space is needed.

Advertisement