Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Prius overview.

Options

Comments

Tyres also make a difference, I have Dunlop Sport BluResponse and they are good, they're also quiet tyres. And they have lasted a long time, so worth the money. I have them ages.

There are better rated tyres now, the Sport BluResponse have a B energy and A wet rating you can get A and A such as the Bridgestone Ecopia EP001S. They're slightly noiser, 70 db V 68 for the Dunlops, and I prefer a quieter tyre as I can find, that's worth more to me than a slightly better efficiency gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Post created on 01.06.14 at 10:03 am, mad lads reply 02.06.14 2:08 am! Your standards are slipping mad lad, you feeling ok? :D

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Post created on 01.06.14 at 10:03 am, mad lads reply 02.06.14 2:08 am! Your standards are slipping mad lad, you feeling ok? :D

:D I do have a life you know ?

More computer problems, sick and tired of windows 8, I gave it a few months and couldn't take any more. It's utter rubbish. So I'm installing windows 7 back on now.

God even the ipad is way Beyond windows except its hard to type a lot on the ipad. Might check out some keyboards and throw this windows rubbish in the bin !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭gooner99

:D I do have a life you know ?

More computer problems, sick and tired of windows 8, I gave it a few months and couldn't take any more. It's utter rubbish. So I'm installing windows 7 back on now.

God even the ipad is way Beyond windows except its hard to type a lot on the ipad. Might check out some keyboards and throw this windows rubbish in the bin !

Windows 8 is a pain alright.But on my new laptop I was stuck with it,so installed "start8" and now it's pretty much like win7.no more bloody metro.

gooner99 wrote: »
    Windows 8 is a pain alright.But on my new laptop I was stuck with it,so installed "start8" and now it's pretty much like win7.no more bloody metro.

I'm just restoring a backup now so I'll have good ol win 7 back.

The more of the ipad I use the more I hate windows, every time I see my brother I want to play with his MacBook Air, the Mac OS makes such a difference.

Start 8 looks good alright. I hate microsofts new look with all their new software and they killed messenger!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

I think the prius has a 1 speed automatic gearbox. If it's only a 1 speed, how does it change up through the gears as the car accelerates *

* probably a stupid question.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Hector Mildew

Tyres also make a difference, I have Dunlop Sport BluResponse and they are good, they're also quiet tyres. And they have lasted a long time, so worth the money. I have them ages.

There are better rated tyres now, the Sport BluResponse have a B energy and A wet rating you can get A and A such as the Bridgestone Ecopia EP001S. They're slightly noiser, 70 db V 68 for the Dunlops, and I prefer a quieter tyre as I can find, that's worth more to me than a slightly better efficiency gain.

I have a 2011 Prius with 17" 215/45 tyres. Looking to change them but can't find many high energy and wet rated tyres in that size. Do you know if changing to 205/50 (1.8% difference in diameter) would cause problems with gear ratios, handling, etc. or affect my warranty?

I'm thinking it should be ok as Toyota also supply the Prius III with 15" wheels and 195/65 tyres which are practically the same diameter (0.4% diff) as 205/50 r17s..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I think the prius has a 1 speed automatic gearbox. If it's only a 1 speed, how does it change up through the gears as the car accelerates *

It uses clever a planetary gear set (PSD) to combine the engine, MG2 and MG1 together. MG1 is the only motor that is connected directly to the output to the differential.

The gear ratios are effectively controlled via the electrical power flowing from MG2->MG1, via the inverter.

There's quite a few good you tube videos on the power split device (PSD).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Soarer

It's like a moped gearbox.

That's how I think of it anyway. Google "cvt gearbox" if you're interested.

Here's a cool video on the Prius transmission, this is the MK II the MK III is even simpler as it eliminates the chain.

• Advertisement

Thanks mad_lad

Just on the whole MPG stuff and getting all these good figures like 60 mpg +

In order to achieve these figures are you driving the car in a very controlled manner i.e using EV mode, driving slow, doing pulse and glide etc etc

Thanks mad_lad

Just on the whole MPG stuff and getting all these good figures like 60 mpg +

In order to achieve these figures are you driving the car in a very controlled manner i.e using EV mode, driving slow, doing pulse and glide etc etc

Yes I use pulse and glide wherever I can, also the mode where you are pushing the car along via the battery only, you'll see that as energy flowing only from the battery.

Don't use EV mode as it's not efficient to use it all at once, use it for traffic lights where the engine won't turn off for whatever reason, but don't forget to turn it off once you're moving. mostly in winter to keep the cabin warm. You will loose efficiency in winter.

It's best to use the battery on the slower routes and when going downhill where in a normal car you'd slow down the motor keeps the momentum going that along with neutral or pulse and glide you can travel a surprising distance using no fuel.

I don't drive fast or slow. I don't usually have people up my ass apart from the usual idiots.

As with any car, the faster more aggressively you drive the more fuel you use.

I have not taken the MK III for anything other than maybe 8 miles test drive. But it's supposed to get another few extra mpg.

I would say if someone gets into the prius and just drives it without pulse and glide or anything like that would still get 55 mpg, for the MK II this isnt bad considering most diesels today will only achieve that and even less, the MK II uses 10 year old technology and is a petrol automatic. The MK III should get more mpg and it's got about 23 more HP.

It's another alternative to diesel that a lot of people over look, it is expensive to buy new, a Nissan leaf will cost 6-7 K less and will be much cheaper to run. It's a very reliable car and you won't get dpf and dmf failure, it's got a ultra reliable automatic more so than most cars you'll find on the road. And buying one 2nd hand with a 80,000 + miles shouldn't be a problem.

Was reading there that the mk2 had approx 10% better fuel efficiency over the mk1, mk3 10% over the mk2 and they are aiming for the same again with the mk4 which should be launched 2015 or 2016. they say they want to continue this, but it gets harder with each generation which is understandable.

gooner99 wrote: »
    Was reading there that the mk2 had approx 10% better fuel efficiency over the mk1, mk3 10% over the mk2 and they are aiming for the same again with the mk4 which should be launched 2015 or 2016. they say they want to continue this, but it gets harder with each generation which is understandable.

Toyota are refusing to go the electric route, except or course for the Rav 4 EV which uses a Tesla battery and electrics, but the rav 4 is a U.S compliance car for California, they had to make one in order to sell ICE cars. They won't sell it anywhere else.

I thought they were aiming for more than a 10% hike for the next Gen.

There isn't much more they can do to the ICE without electric intervention, the Prius has a much too small battery even the plug in version.

60-64 mpg, while pretty good still costs a lot to run. I really would love to own an EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Toyota are refusing to go the electric route, except or course for the Rav 4 EV which uses a Tesla battery and electrics, but the rav 4 is a U.S compliance car for California, they had to make one in order to sell ICE cars. They won't sell it anywhere else.

There isn't much more they can do to the ICE without electric intervention, the Prius has a much too small battery even the plug in version.

60-64 mpg, while pretty good still costs a lot to run. I really would love to own an EV.

And yet you dismiss the plug in Prius with twice the mileage. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mileage or mpg?
    Prius plug in is stupidly expensive.

The plug in may give twice the mpg, but that depends greatly on your type of driving. I would love one to test for a week or 2

I don't dismiss it, but Toyota could have done much better, the Leaf costs a lot less with with 6 times the battery capacity.

If I were to spend that much then I'd rather a 2nd hand Opel Ampera/ Volt. As it has 10 kwh usable out of 16 kwh battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Once they come into my tentative budget I'd really consider an ampera.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

colm_mcm wrote: »

Yep me too. They look great.

Mileage or mpg?
    Prius plug in is stupidly expensive.

Yes it's 6 K more expensive UK pounds, it's not sold in Ireland. not on toyota.ie anyway.

say 8K Euro's extra for an extra 3 kwh battey ? WTF they are crazy, no way batteries are that expensive today.

Tesla can get them well under 500 USD per Kwh, just wait until tesla build the gigafactory !!!

AFAIK Toyota still have a tiny share in Tesla ?

• Advertisement

650Ginge wrote: »
    Yep me too. They look great.

The outlander plug in should cost just under 40K , the Ampera is more + it's a 4 seater. They don't sell the Ampera in Ireland either.

The Ampera should go further on leccy too.

Yes min 10% is what I read.They aim to do this with lighter weight components a better battery technology.I'd say they can achieve it, but the next incarnation may be more of a challenge.

Yes I use pulse and glide wherever I can, also the mode where you are pushing the car along via the battery only, you'll see that as energy flowing only from the battery.

Don't use EV mode as it's not efficient to use it all at once, use it for traffic lights where the engine won't turn off for whatever reason, but don't forget to turn it off once you're moving. mostly in winter to keep the cabin warm. You will loose efficiency in winter.

It's best to use the battery on the slower routes and when going downhill where in a normal car you'd slow down the motor keeps the momentum going that along with neutral or pulse and glide you can travel a surprising distance using no fuel.

I don't drive fast or slow. I don't usually have people up my ass apart from the usual idiots.

As with any car, the faster more aggressively you drive the more fuel you use.

I have not taken the MK III for anything other than maybe 8 miles test drive. But it's supposed to get another few extra mpg.

I would say if someone gets into the prius and just drives it without pulse and glide or anything like that would still get 55 mpg, for the MK II this isnt bad considering most diesels today will only achieve that and even less, the MK II uses 10 year old technology and is a petrol automatic. The MK III should get more mpg and it's got about 23 more HP.

It's another alternative to diesel that a lot of people over look, it is expensive to buy new, a Nissan leaf will cost 6-7 K less and will be much cheaper to run. It's a very reliable car and you won't get dpf and dmf failure, it's got a ultra reliable automatic more so than most cars you'll find on the road. And buying one 2nd hand with a 80,000 + miles shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks mad_lad, good to know that if its just driven normally and you dont take the piss that you can still get 50 + MPG.

Having to drive very carefully the whole time would do me head in :)

So I presume this car has the stop / start thing where it turns off at traffic lights etc and back on again when you touch the accelerator ?

Is it actually completely turning off or just going to battery power ?

Thanks mad_lad, good to know that if its just driven normally and you dont take the piss that you can still get 50 + MPG.

Having to drive very carefully the whole time would do me head in :)

So I presume this car has the stop / start thing where it turns off at traffic lights etc and back on again when you touch the accelerator ?

Is it actually completely turning off or just going to battery power ?

Yes it has start stop but unlike normal cars with start stop the Prius has the motor to instantly move the car, there's no waiting like an automatic car especially. Though the lag isn't as noticeable in a manual because the engine turns on when you press the clutch ant it's on by the time you get going, the Prius is just a whole lot faster.

When the engine is off in the Prius there is no power going to the battery unless you're slowing down and in regen.

If you don't do more than 70 miles a day or 120 with fast charging I would bet getting a leaf, but after 100 k miles in a leaf you could be down 15% capacity maybe more. But could still work for you.

You'll get a leaf in the u.k for about 12-14k euros 15-30 k miles, excluding transport costs and install of home charging unit, called the evse. That will cost up to 1k to install but you can do the install or most of it yourself and get the spark to make the connections either end. The garage in the u.k may also be able to get you one cheap. But you need to get the type 2 cable to plug into public non fast chargers.

I don't think I'll be getting another ice car unless I have to, not even plug in hybrid if I've to wait for the affordable tesla or leaf II then I will. That's only 3 years away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

once it comes time for me to buy a proper daily, to replace the stopgap daysul fiesta, I'll be considering a leaf.
    I have no issues with a 100 mile range as I'd only use it for a commute of 30-40 miles each way. I'm trying to get a workplace EV charger installed - if that happens within 12-18 months I may be dailying a nissan leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

In my eperience with 3gen prius in Ireland:
    - 120kph and cruise control on motorway 47 mpg
    - short journey on cold engine 42 mpg

However when driving on country roads in France with warm weather and longer distances I was able to achieve 56 mpg

September1 wrote: »

However when driving on country roads in France with warm weather and longer distances I was able to achieve 56 mpg

And are you doing any fancy techniques here or just driving it normally ?

And are you doing any fancy techniques here or just driving it normally ?

Just driving at or just below speed limits. Not much overtaking but also not special techniques.

September1 wrote: »

With my combined driving I get 60-64 mph in the MK II, You're obviously not calculating the combined mpg but getting a trip reading of only motorway driving and this is never accurate, resetting the trip computer when the engine is warm or while already driving is not going to give an accurate reading.

As I keep saying what you get per tank is what matters.

The Diesel B6 A4 Automatic TDI only ever achieved 48 mpg combined, And the prius had much more interior room. Not as large a boot perhaps, but Audi's are long at the front.

I'll ask another question, what do people get in town and city driving in their diesels ?

• Advertisement

With my combined driving I get 60-64 mph in the MK II, You're obviously not calculating the combined mpg but getting a trip reading of only motorway driving and this is never accurate, resetting the trip computer when the engine is warm or while already driving is not going to give an accurate reading.

As I keep saying what you get per tank is what matters.

The Diesel B6 A4 Automatic TDI only ever achieved 48 mpg combined, And the prius had much more interior room. Not as large a boot perhaps, but Audi's are long at the front.

I'll ask another question, what do people get in town and city driving in their diesels ?

Of course, if number I get I wrong they obviously are measured in wrong way. Combined mpg is always below 50 in Ireland and some tanks were around 45. But hey it doesn't matter because you get different results. :p

Advertisement