Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Prius overview.

Options
124»

Comments

September1 wrote: »
    Of course, if number I get I wrong they obviously are measured in wrong way. Combined mpg is always below 50 in Ireland and some tanks were around 45. But hey it doesn't matter because you get different results. :p

Sorry, I don't get this ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Hello

I took a 2010 Prius for a test drive earlier today. 1.8 VVT-I T3

It was grand, but I wasn't overly impressed, very basic interior, not the quickest, very plasticity, made a lot of noise accelerating, not great over bumps etc

bit disappointed really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Why didn't you just do that 11 days ago and find out all that info then....:confused:

Hello

It was grand, but I wasn't overly impressed, very basic interior, not the quickest, very plasticity, made a lot of noise accelerating, not great over bumps etc

bit disappointed really

Not the quickest? I found it plenty fast, you may not get the all or nothing wallope of torque as in a diesel giving the illusion of more power. The Prius has a much better power delivery and broader torque band.

The interior is ok, better than the MK II,

Noisy to accelerate not unique to the Prius, all cvts are noisier accelerating, it's still far quieter than a diesel most of the time.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Why didn't you just do that 11 days ago and find out all that info then....:confused:

cause its good to get some info first. and a test drive alone would not have answered all the questions I had .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Could someone explain the pulse and glide system again....the idiot's guide! Have a prius, but don't think I'm saving as much as I could

neemish wrote: »
    Could someone explain the pulse and glide system again....the idiot's guide! Have a prius, but don't think I'm saving as much as I could

What are you averaging, per tank ? Motorway or city mpg isn't good enough. It's per tank is the important thing.

Pulse and glide works up to 71 kh where you can get neutral.

When you have your foot on the accelerator, lift off and press gently until no energy flows anywhere on the energy monitor, now you're coasting. This works brilliantly going down hills even slight downhills.

While you're in this mode press gently again without lifting off and energy now flows from the battery and you are going along in electric.

No regen is more efficient than regen and why coasting can eek out more mpg.

It takes practice, to know when to use these tips efficiently and not end up slowing to the point you need to use more fuel to get back up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there much difference in comfort, economy and power between the MKII and MKIII?

Hello

bit disappointed really

You sure you weren't in Eco mode ?

Is there much difference in comfort, economy and power between the MKII and MKIII?

Eco stiffens the accelerator to discourage faster driving. It may limit air on not sure.

Eco mode is for those who don't know how to drive the Prius properly.

If you use he normal kick down it will apply max power if you need it,

• Advertisement

You sure you weren't in Eco mode ?

I tried all 3 modes, power mode was especially noisy

I tried all 3 modes, power mode was especially noisy

Was the traction battery nearly empty ? There will be a noticeable power reduction and noise for the engine as it has to work harder with less juice in the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

??????

maudgone wrote: »
    ??????

What ?

Was the traction battery nearly empty ? There will be a noticeable power reduction and noise for the engine as it has to work harder with less juice in the battery.

Not sure, there was way too much sh1t going on in the dash board for me to figure out whilst concentrating on driving, especially for a first drive, one would get used to it if they sat down and studied it for a few mins

Not sure, there was way too much sh1t going on in the dash board for me to figure out whilst concentrating on driving, especially for a first drive, one would get used to it if they sat down and studied it for a few mins

Yeah I can understand that.

The display for power monitoring is tiny compared to the MK II.

Ideally the battery should be never less than half full. If it's completely empty or almost then you got much less juice for the motor.

You would need more than a few mins test drive. A lot of people can't resist driving in ev mode for that ev like experience, especially if it's a dealer car it will most likely be taken out in town for a few mins without a chance to recharge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Not the quickest? I found it plenty fast, you may not get the all or nothing wallope of torque as in a diesel giving the illusion of more power. The Prius has a much better power delivery and broader torque band.

The interior is ok, better than the MK II,

Noisy to accelerate not unique to the Prius, all cvts are noisier accelerating, it's still far quieter than a diesel most of the time.

I haven't been in the newest Toyota's yet, so things may have improved, but their interior design is usually horrible. The prius isn't a cheap car new and it is rotten inside. The fabric seats Toyota use look especially nasty... even when brand new. Hopefully the mark 4 will be a radical departure.

I haven't been in the newest Toyota's yet, so things may have improved, but their interior design is usually horrible. The prius isn't a cheap car new and it is rotten inside. The fabric seats Toyota use look especially nasty... even when brand new. Hopefully the mark 4 will be a radical departure.

The interior is certainly not up to German standards, but it's not that bad, I've been in worse.

It's made form mainly plant based plastics so for and interior made of mainly plants it's pretty good if you ask me.

I like the MK III more.

I wouldn't bother buying the MK IV unless it had a serious improvement in EV range.

Interestingly, according to Toyota the MK IV petrol engine will be more efficient than a Diesel engine alone.

The prius won't suit everyone, same way I couldn't go back to the rattle clatter and crap torque range of a diesel. Though as I said before diesels with a cvt are far better to drive. But you still get the rattle. I don't care how they've improved I still don't like them.

The prius is expensive new, and worse again is the plug in with it's stupidly small battery, ridiculously expensive.

You can get a brand new Leaf full spec for about 28K., the plug in prius starts at 35K Euro's in the U.K, then add VRT likely 3K on a new one. madness. There is no way in hell batteries cost that much today.

Leaf II and the 200 mile range Tesla will be out by 2017, and both will be cheaper than the plug in prius. So If I can at all I'll hang on until then and keep saving. The Tesla will no doubt be a fantastic car. If I did get a leaf in the meantime it would be one from the U.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

Hello

bit disappointed really

That is Prius MK III - even higher spec version are like that. I drive it for two years now and still feels noisy.

September1 wrote: »
    That is Prius MK III - even higher spec version are like that. I drive it for two years now and still feels noisy.

You are very biased now against the prius because you have a Leaf that makes no noise at all, anything with an engine will be noisy for you ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

What are you averaging, per tank ? Motorway or city mpg isn't good enough. It's per tank is the important thing.

Pulse and glide works up to 71 kh where you can get neutral.

When you have your foot on the accelerator, lift off and press gently until no energy flows anywhere on the energy monitor, now you're coasting. This works brilliantly going down hills even slight downhills.

While you're in this mode press gently again without lifting off and energy now flows from the battery and you are going along in electric.

No regen is more efficient than regen and why coasting can eek out more mpg.

It takes practice, to know when to use these tips efficiently and not end up slowing to the point you need to use more fuel to get back up to speed.

I'm getting about 450 miles per tank.

With a bit of practice, am getting the above technique! Just curious if it is possible on the motorway as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Yeah I can understand that.

The display for power monitoring is tiny compared to the MK II.

Ideally the battery should be never less than half full. If it's completely empty or almost then you got much less juice for the motor.

You would need more than a few mins test drive. A lot of people can't resist driving in ev mode for that ev like experience, especially if it's a dealer car it will most likely be taken out in town for a few mins without a chance to recharge.

When the battery display is at empty that is actually the 40% mark and full is 80% so unless it's charging! you technically have full bat power to motor...

Hopefully when the battery technology gets better we can use this lost 60% of energy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

neemish wrote: »
    I'm getting about 450 miles per tank.

With a bit of practice, am getting the above technique! Just curious if it is possible on the motorway as well?

Yes possible on motorway but not worth the hassle unless petrol goes to 2.50 a litre which it might, considering the current goings on in Iraq .

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    When the battery display is at empty that is actually the 40% mark and full is 80% so unless it's charging! you technically have full bat power to motor...

Hopefully when the battery technology gets better we can use this lost 60% of energy :(

Yes Toyota keep a reserve to preserve battery life which is necessary, however latest developments in NiMh battery technology mean now NiMh battery life far exceeds lithium. That could change in a few years, the trade off is power and energy density, but still fine for a Prius, portable gadgets etc.

Panasonic also make some of the best lithium batteries available if one the best. Tesla use them, Panasonic bought the battery business from Sanyo.

The leaf has about 800-1000 full cycles before 70% and there isn't nearly the reserve that the Prius has.

Panasonic eneloops, the very latest ones have 2000 cycles compared to 300-500 for the normal off the shelf ones, that's a major achievement. These are AA batteries you can buy. And they still have 70% charge after a year so you can still use them after storage.

I did a test from carlow to Dublin on m9,N7 to croke park area averaged 4.8 l 100 Kms and 140 occasional 150kph on the motorway 120-130 Naas road,

I don't think that's bad and I reset the trip computer for all those interested in motorway consumption, this is a good indicator, of course I used pulse and glide and battery power like the divil keeping up with traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pavelpro

Does anyone know if its possible to change miles to km? I was able to change speed but need to see odometer and consumption in km and l/100km etc. The car is from Uk, TSpirit. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

pavelpro wrote: »
    Does anyone know if its possible to change miles to km? I was able to change speed but need to see odometer and consumption in km and l/100km etc. The car is from Uk, TSpirit. Thank you.

I bought a t spirit in the UK myself last week and as far as I can work out you're stuck with miles on the odometer and mpg on the energy display. If you want l/100km you'll have to work it out yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

lord lucan wrote: »
    I bought a t spirit in the UK myself last week and as far as I can work out you're stuck with miles on the odometer and mpg on the energy display. If you want l/100km you'll have to work it out yourself.

You can change the energy display in settings to L/100km but you cannot change the odometer mileage to km unless you remove the clocks and get them converted, think it's costs about 150 yo yos

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

You can change the energy display in settings to L/100km but you cannot change the odometer mileage to km unless you remove the clocks and get them converted, think it's costs about 150 yo yos

Cheers,thanks for that.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pavelpro

cant find this option :( any chance you can give me more info? Thanx!

What i need is to see consumption in l/100km... hope this can be changed

Advertisement