Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC English- Personal Writing- Speeches

Options
  • 01-06-2014 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

As I'm sure you're all well aware, the JC is beginning on Wednesday with English, and I was wondering, can someone give me some tips on writing speeches? In my mocks, I did the short story and got 45/70. I ended up getting 75% in the exam, but my teacher told me to instead focus on speeches, (I think this is due to the fact I can argue with my own shadow!). I know the layout ("Ladies and gentlemen, in recent times it has been suggested that......" In my opinion this is -extremely accurate if I'm agreeing with the motion, or -Pure folly if I'm disagreeing with the motion, and then I write it giving my points and then finish with, "So you see.......") Anyone have tips on what else I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

This applies to the functional writing section and somewhat to the personal writing section:
    You must have rhetorical questions, e.g. How many of us here today...?
    Have inclusive language, e.g. As I'm sure you're well aware... (what you said in the first line of your post ;) )
    You could also have a recurring phrase, e.g. Yes we can, but come up with something more original than that example.
    You must write in the correct tone, for example if you have been asked to give a talk to your class it would be informal. But if it was a speech to politicans it would be formal so you would have to start with Ladies and gentlemen...

Hope this is some help. :)

The 'speech' in the personal writing section is not usually a speech, but a debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

Remember to aim your entire speech at the audience at all times possible.... As third year students, we must remember, You all will know etc.
    Put in rhetorical questions where possible... What would your life be like without rules? Are these people really your friends?
    For your conclusion, come to a conclusion! Give your audience some advice about what they can do to change/prevent it
    Include some quotes of famous people... As the famous sportsman Michael Jordan once said "I`ve failed over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed"

Try and make the speech like a conversation between you and the audience but dont speak too informally! Most importantly, because its a speech be inspirational!

Hope this helps! :D

Advertisement