Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The TF "new owners"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

The TF is nothing like it was a couple of years ago, nearly every week they had a big act in, massive Christmas gigs with the Saw Doctors, Bell X1 and comedy with Tommy Tiernan and a whole lot more Bryan Adams, Paolo Nutini, 2Many Dj's as well as some massive Irish act's of music and comedy played there, and booked up every hotel and guesthouse in town. Their was always some gig on for every age, now it's a dive, surprised they got Jimmy Carr at all! It's depressing really. A few years ago I used to get excited about gigs that were coming up in the TF, such a waste of a venue.If the place was run right, a bit like the INEC Killarney, it could make the town a bit better. But Westport had turned into the new destination now, the publicans of Castlebar must come together and do something about it before it's too late, but I don't see that happening anytime soon

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The TF is nothing like it was a couple of years ago, nearly every week they had a big act in, massive Christmas gigs with the Saw Doctors, Bell X1 and comedy with Tommy Tiernan and a whole lot more Bryan Adams, Paolo Nutini, 2Many Dj's as well as some massive Irish act's of music and comedy played there, and booked up every hotel and guesthouse in town. Their was always some gig on for every age, now it's a dive, surprised they got Jimmy Carr at all! It's depressing really. A few years ago I used to get excited about gigs that were coming up in the TF, such a waste of a venue.If the place was run right, a bit like the INEC Killarney, it could make the town a bit better. But Westport had turned into the new destination now, the publicans of Castlebar must come together and do something about it before it's too late, but I don't see that happening anytime soon

The whole as a social entity is dying on its feet. Go out there on a Sat night and its dead. GO to WEstport and its alive and hopping. What they are going to do, its hard to know! It used to be the other way around!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

yop wrote: »
    The whole as a social entity is dying on its feet. Go out there on a Sat night and its dead. GO to WEstport and its alive and hopping. What they are going to do, its hard to know! It used to be the other way around!!

Westport now has a tourist trade at practically all weekends all the year around. The buses from Castlebar adds to the buzz, but are not the sole cause.

E,g last weekend there were over 2000 competitors in the annual Sea to Summit event, plus all the partners etc. Town fully booked out, plus many staying in Castlebar.

When it comes to tourism and entertainment the two towns are complementary.

Back in the sixties a visionary County Development Officer Seán Smyth got the Urban Councils in Castlebar and Westport to join in a study and labour survey to attract a large industry, Corah, who had potential of 500 jobs. Following joint meetings of the two councils, the study was done. Sadly the project did not go ahead due to Corah=related issues. However it was a good idea. The two towns should cooperate, to counteract the pull of large centres in the West.

Sadly the Town Councils are gone - thank you Phil Hogan. Whatever party undertakes to restore them will get support from some of those involved in community development in such towns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

I was talking to a publican in Castlebar, he said his weekend trade has been destroyed as everyone has gone to Westport. The blame is squarely with the late night venues in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

6541 wrote: »
    I was talking to a publican in Castlebar, he said his weekend trade has been destroyed as everyone has gone to Westport. The blame is squarely with the late night venues in Castlebar.

The only 2 late night venues are coxs and the welcome inn.

The welcome inn hasn't seen a lick of paint in years and neither has coxs.

Does the receiver still run coxs?

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »

Good question I never knew that Coxs was in receivership.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The Welcome Inn is only running limited nights over the weekend now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sure does. Then again the receiver runs many other venues and the place hasn't fallen apart.

6541 wrote: »

The blame is not squarely due to late night venues, it has more to do with the lack of quality restaurants and bars, some of the staff I have encountered around the town must not be worried about the drop offs in business and are actually helping in peoples decisions in going elsewhere.

I was in a bar in town during lunchtime, and heard two female staff calling each other ***** in front of a family with young kids.

Xenji wrote: »
    The blame is not squarely due to late night venues, it has more to do with the lack of quality restaurants and bars, some of the staff I have encountered around the town must not be worried about the drop offs in business and are actually helping in peoples decisions in going elsewhere.

I was in a bar in town during lunchtime, and heard two female staff calling each other ***** in front of a family with young kids.

wow, real advert for business!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I went to college in Castlebar not too long ago and it's a real pity someone wouldn't get their act together and run a decent late bar/nightclub. There's literally a building packed with young people looking for somewhere with drink promotions and good music to go out in and there's no one in the town that's coped on to it and targeted it.
    The TF made a half arsed attempt a few years ago and I've no idea what happened to mantra.

I went to college in Castlebar not too long ago and it's a real pity someone wouldn't get their act together and run a decent late bar/nightclub. There's literally a building packed with young people looking for somewhere with drink promotions and good music to go out in and there's no one in the town that's coped on to it and targeted it.
    The TF made a half arsed attempt a few years ago and I've no idea what happened to mantra.

Most places gave up on students, pubs would put nights on for them and the majority would show up 5 minutes before closing for a quick pint before heading off to the nightclub or coxes.

About 10-12 years ago certain pubs would be packed on a Thursday night with students, since then they mostly stay home drinking before heading to parties or coxes.

It was pointed out to me recently. Westport has the tourist trade, that is it's product. Castlebar has shopping that is Castlebar's product.
    As the TF, Welcome Inn and Coxes seem to have given up we should just declare that Night Life and Castlebar is finished. Leave that to Westport and concentrate on a different product for Castlebar.

Xenji wrote: »
    Most places gave up on students, pubs would put nights on for them and the majority would show up 5 minutes before closing for a quick pint before heading off to the nightclub or coxes.

About 10-12 years ago certain pubs would be packed on a Thursday night with students, since then they mostly stay home drinking before heading to parties or coxes.
    In fairness alot has changed in 10 or 12 years. The reason most people stay in is because they've gone into coxes or somewhere and they might have an ipod plugged in with classic 80s playing!
    There isn't any nightclub, at least a reliable one that opens more than every 3rd Thursday depending on there being a full moon.
    It's all about marketing. If a pub gets in a DJ and does themes/karoke or something like that students will come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Castlebar doesn't have a nightlife at all, before it had Bar One late a few nights, with Cox's as well, Mantra, the Lounge and even the TF at one stage, for a town of this size it's depressing that the only options are Cox's, the Lounge whenever they decide to open it or a bus to Westport! Hopefully Mc'Carthy's on main street will add something new to town, any publican looking at opening a late bar/night club could make a killing if they did it right in Castlebar.

Castlebar doesn't have a nightlife at all, before it had Bar One late a few nights, with Cox's as well, Mantra, the Lounge and even the TF at one stage, for a town of this size it's depressing that the only options are Cox's, the Lounge whenever they decide to open it or a bus to Westport! Hopefully Mc'Carthy's on main street will add something new to town, any publican looking at opening a late bar/night club could make a killing if they did it right in Castlebar.

You had Bar ritz for a while also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

didnt realise coxs had sunk to a virtual ipod dj.

didnt realise coxs had sunk to a virtual ipod dj.

Its an awful spot. Has never been done up and stinks. Music is awful and pure cattle mart.

yop wrote: »
    Its an awful spot. Has never been done up and stinks. Music is awful and pure cattle mart.

In fairness its always been that way.

Cox's is a horrendous place. I remember being in it one night and there was some problem with the urinals so they put buckets over them. Lads came in and started pissing into the buckets/or into the urinals to the point where piss covered the floor and was flowing out the corridor.

• Advertisement

So any more TF news ? The paint job looks well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

Dudda wrote: »

That vindicates everything I have said on this thread since last year. Yop - you owe me an apology for your disgraceful posts on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Dudda wrote:
    More new owners as of 5:30pm this evening

Any idea what all this means for the TF? It's hard to know if it's a good or a bad thing

Any idea what all this means for the TF? It's hard to know if it's a good or a bad thing

It means that Sutcliffe and the Jennings spawn never owned the hotel - they were just running the business on behalf of the receiver. They have now presumably fallen out with the receiver and got kicked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Is this just a change of Operator or have the actual properties changed hands?

Is this just a change of Operator or have the actual properties changed hands?

the article indicates that the new operator of the hotel have been appointed by the hotel receiver - this means that the hotel never changed hands since the receiver took it from Pat Jennings (Snr) company Dioroma Ltd.
    All the mis-information on this thread that Seamus Sutcliffe owned the hotel was complete BS:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

the article indicates that the new operator of the hotel have been appointed by the hotel receiver - this means that the hotel never changed hands since the receiver took it from Pat Jennings (Snr) company Dioroma Ltd.
    All the mis-information on this thread that Seamus Sutcliffe owned the hotel was complete BS:D

How do you know that Diorama actually owned the bricks & mortar. Its not unknown for the identity of the true owners to be hidden in a raft of companies. And Diorama rose from the ashes of the first liquidation in 1989.

How do you know that Diorama actually owned the bricks & mortar. Its not unknown for the identity of the true owners to be hidden in a raft of companies. And Diorama rose from the ashes of the first liquidation in 1989.

The receivers report which is submitted to the Companies Office (CRO) lists the properties (re)possessed by the Receiver. I have attached the document to this reply - Read it for yourself:cool:

• Advertisement

I am confused here, there was a lot of talk about the TF between a couple of posters on here, claim and counter claim sort of thing. So what is the real story, is it in the Jennings Family or not ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement