Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferring a Year - Process Explanation

• 01-06-2014 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I am doing my Leaving Cert in few days and I am a bit confused about what should I do afterwards and how does the system works.

As I moved to Ireland two years ago, and I don't know anyone who have already finished the Leaving Cert I don't understand how it works after the actual exams and what are we supposed to do?

I filled the CAO with the courses that I want to do, but the problem is that I have to deffer a year. There is a law that says that I have to be in Ireland for 3 out of last 5 years in order to be eligible for "free fees". So because I am in Ireland for two years only, I am treated like an international student and the fees are huge. I can't afford that.

Another problem is that I won't spend my summer in Ireland. (But, if needed I would be able to come.)
    So, what's the story with the results? And how do I actually defer a year?

I have spoke earlier with a person entitled for Career Guidance in my school and she told me that everything is ok and that when I get a place in college I should contact them and explain them why do I want to deffer a year. Most likely because of the reason I have they would accept it, and I would have a reserved place for next year.

To sum everything up:
    - Do I have to be in Ireland to get the results?
    - Do I have to be in Ireland to get offered a place?
    - How and when do I contact the college and ask them for deferral?
    - What happens next year? (In relation to Leaving Cert, CAO applications, etc.)
    - Is there anything else I should know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Nicke011 wrote: »
    I am doing my Leaving Cert in few days and I am a bit confused about what should I do afterwards and how does the system works.

As I moved to Ireland two years ago, and I don't know anyone who have already finished the Leaving Cert I don't understand how it works after the actual exams and what are we supposed to do?

I filled the CAO with the courses that I want to do, but the problem is that I have to deffer a year. There is a law that says that I have to be in Ireland for 3 out of last 5 years in order to be eligible for "free fees". So because I am in Ireland for two years only, I am treated like an international student and the fees are huge. I can't afford that.

Another problem is that I won't spend my summer in Ireland. (But, if needed I would be able to come.)
    So, what's the story with the results? And how do I actually defer a year?

I have spoke earlier with a person entitled for Career Guidance in my school and she told me that everything is ok and that when I get a place in college I should contact them and explain them why do I want to deffer a year. Most likely because of the reason I have they would accept it, and I would have a reserved place for next year.

To sum everything up:
    - Do I have to be in Ireland to get the results?
    No, you don't have to be in Ireland to get the results. You can get them by viewing in online on examinations.ie once you gotten your pin number. This given to you normally on the day of your first exam.
    - Do I have to be in Ireland to get offered a place?
    No, you can view your offers online and accept/reject them whilst abroad.
    - How and when do I contact the college and ask them for deferral?
    When you get your offers, accept it as soon as possible and then ring the college of that course (think it's normally the course-coordinator or admissions office) and explain that you want to defer for another year because you want use the extra year to do whatever you want. NOTE: The college will accept a certain quota of deferrals on their course so it's first come, first served basis in relation to the deferrals.
    - What happens next year? (In relation to Leaving Cert, CAO applications, etc.)
    All you really need to do next year is apply for the CAO when it opens up, put in the course that you deferred only. You should only have that deferred course in or you will lose your deferral place if you add other courses on your CAO, even if it's Level 6/7 and your deferred course is Level 8.
    - Is there anything else I should know?

Not that I know of really. All I've done so far this year to get my course I deferred is apply for CAO, put in the course and wait till July when my offer comes out.

Hope this answers your queries :)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

Thank you for answering! :) I appreciate it!

What happens if the college doesn't allow me to defer a year, due to any reason. Do I need to do the Leaving Cert again next year, can I use my points from this year, or how it works?

And what about corrections of my exams? If I get close amount of points that was the required last year for the course I want to do, do I have to be here? How many days are we allowed to look at the exams and ask for corrections?

Thank you for answering! :) I appreciate it!

What happens if the college doesn't allow me to defer a year, due to any reason. Do I need to do the Leaving Cert again next year, can I use my points from this year, or how it works?
    If the college doesn't give you a deferral place, you can still apply for the same course in the following year with this year's LC results. You don't need to do your leaving cert the same year as you go to college. You should take into consideration that if the course you want to do is popular, the chances are, the points will rise in the following year. Just be careful on that!

And what about corrections of my exams? If I get close amount of points that was the required last year for the course I want to do, do I have to be here? How many days are we allowed to look at the exams and ask for corrections?
    I'm not quite sure on what you are asking in the first question. For the second question in relation to viewing scripts, you have to pay a fixed fee to view your exam papers after the results. You can view them by yourself, with a teacher or with someone else. When you are viewing your scripts and you feel you were marked poorly on something, then you best to get it rechecked.

:)

That's what I meant, corrections of the scripts. So I can take a look at them for free with the teacher, and if I/we conclude that I was marked poorly I can pay and get it rechecked.

For example if I'm abroad and I get 500 points and I need only 400 for my course I'll be ok, but if I need 490 points I would prefer to take a look at them and maybe find some mistakes in corrections. So my question is, what's the deadline for asking for recheck of the scripts? In other words, once I get my results online, how many days do I have to travel to Ireland, take a look at them and possibly ask for recheck?

I know it's getting a bit complicated, sorry about that, but I don't want to leave anything to chance. :)

That's what I meant, corrections of the scripts. So I can take a look at them for free with the teacher, and if I/we conclude that I was marked poorly I can pay and get it rechecked.

For example if I'm abroad and I get 500 points and I need only 400 for my course I'll be ok, but if I need 490 points I would prefer to take a look at them and maybe find some mistakes in corrections. So my question is, what's the deadline for asking for recheck of the scripts? In other words, once I get my results online, how many days do I have to travel to Ireland, take a look at them and possibly ask for recheck?

I know it's getting a bit complicated, sorry about that, but I don't want to leave anything to chance. :)

I think you have two weeks after the results come out. Or it could be a lot sooner and then you are given a date to view the scripts. They normally try to get it done before college starts on 1st of September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If you want to view your papers, there will be a form enclosed with your Leaving Cert results in your school. I don't think there is an online way of doing this. I'm not sure on the time frame but you have about 7-10 days to let the school know what papers you want to view. There is no charge for this.

Viewing then takes place the last weekend in August/first weekend in September. Looking at the calendar it will probably be the 29th/30th August this year. It's usually Friday evening and Saturday. You can have somebody view the papers with you and it is free, but you must turn up in person, you can't send somebody there on your behalf. If you feel that you should be awarded more marks in a subject then you will be given a form that evening to fill in and return to the school. Again you have about a week to do this. It costs €40 per subject and you get your money back if your grade changes.

Thanks for detailed explanations guys! When I get my results online, if they are about 50 points close to the last year's entry requirement I would then come to Ireland and take a look through the scripts.
    Thanks once again! :)

Thanks for detailed explanations guys! When I get my results online, if they are about 50 points close to the last year's entry requirement I would then come to Ireland and take a look through the scripts.
    Thanks once again! :)

To be fair, it would be highly unusual to be out by 50 points and for there to be mistakes in all of your exams. It would mean that every single one of your papers would be out by up to 2 grades (e.g. B3 instead of B1).

Having said that if you don't get what you want - and you might of course - looking at the scripts can be useful to see where you went wrong and lost marks so the same doesn't happen the second time around.

Sorry I've said it wrong. I meant if I get 50 points more than requirement I won't be checking the scripts, but if I get about 10 points more I would, because I'm expecting the requirement to raise. If I get lower than the last year requirement, than I'm definitely going to check them :)

Sorry I've said it wrong. I meant if I get 50 points more than requirement I won't be checking the scripts, but if I get about 10 points more I would, because I'm expecting the requirement to raise. If I get lower than the last year requirement, than I'm definitely going to check them :)

What course are you looking to do? It does depend on the number of places available and how students are applying for it.

• Advertisement

The first round offers come out before the viewing of the scripts, so you will know if you have a place in college or not at that point.

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    What course are you looking to do? It does depend on the number of places available and how students are applying for it.
    I'm hoping to get into the Computer Science in TCD (460 last year). I think there are 80 places for the course.
    The first round offers come out before the viewing of the scripts, so you will know if you have a place in college or not at that point.
    That sounds great, but is there possibility that you can lose a place afterwards? Because if you are last that got in the course, and someone got their scrips rechecked and now have more points than you. What happens in that scenario?

That sounds great, but is there possibility that you can lose a place afterwards? Because if you are last that got in the course, and someone got their scrips rechecked and now have more points than you. What happens in that scenario?

No, once you have been made an offer and accept it, it can't be taken away from you. If someone else misses out but then has the points after the recheck, then the college have to offer them a place. If there is a place available (because someone has already dropped out, or taken another offer in a later round) then they offer them a place. If they can't fit them in, they offer them a place for the following year.

Bottom line: The outcome of the rechecks has no bearing on those who have already received offers.

The results of the rechecks by the way don't come out until mid October.

No, once you have been made an offer and accept it, it can't be taken away from you. If someone else misses out but then has the points after the recheck, then the college have to offer them a place. If there is a place available (because someone has already dropped out, or taken another offer in a later round) then they offer them a place. If they can't fit them in, they offer them a place for the following year.

Bottom line: The outcome of the rechecks has no bearing on those who have already received offers.

The results of the rechecks by the way don't come out until mid October.

Great info :)
    Thank you so much!

Advertisement