Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior cert HELP!

Options
  • 01-06-2014 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Im really worried about the junior cert.
    In the mocks i failed
    English HL 38%
    Irish HL 38%
    any tips on getting a good grade in those too subjects?
    Also I really want a A in Geogarphy and Maths which i got High B's IN the mocks?
    Any Tips On what to study?

Thank You :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭UnitedFan31

English know your studied stuff, know poetic techniques and make sure your essay is good.
    For Irish all you can really do is learn off a sample answer for your novel and poem and try to have an eachtra prepared.
    For geography know the main case studies and do question 5(ordnance survey) as usually its easy marks. Also make sure you practice short questions.
    Maths is hard to predict but make sure you know theorems. I think anything could come up in maths :/
    Hope this helped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DaraTobin041

Thanks! I Hope to get 2 A's 4'bs 3'cs 2'Ds While i Got 3 B's 3C's 2D's 2E's In the mocks.
    I wouldnt be the best at english or Irish but im studying them hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

For English Paper 2 look at the Sparknotes website, they have great notes about most of the novels/plays that schools study for the Junior Cert, they might help to improve your answers in those sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Im really worried about the junior cert.
    In the mocks i failed
    English HL 38%
    Irish HL 38%
    any tips on getting a good grade in those too subjects?
    Also I really want a A in Geogarphy and Maths which i got High B's IN the mocks?
    Any Tips On what to study?

Thank You :)
    For English make sure you know your studied play, novel and at least 2 poems really well...revise media studies as well and make sure you know all your advertising terminology. For Personal Writing, identify the style you are best at (descriptive essay, short story, debate etc) and do that composition in the exam. Also, know the timing for both Papers and practise writing answers to time.

For Irish make sure you know a studied prós and studied dán really well. Work on your listening comprehension between now and the exam as well. Also, make sure you know the timing for Paper 2 and practise writing answers to time.

It's hard to predict Geography but a mapwork question always comes up, as does something on physical Geography. Go over the short questions in the exam papers as they are key to a good grade.

For Maths it's almost impossible to predict because this is a new exam but practising exam papers is probably the best way to prepare. Also, make sure you know the constructions and theorems.

With all subjects, practising exam papers is the best way to study and prepare.

Hope this helps :)

• Advertisement

Thanks very Much, also any help with history ?

In the History exam you should start work backwards, start on section 6 and finish with sections 1, 2 and 3. Section 4, 5 and 6 are worth far more marks than the first three sections so if you run out of time it's better to not have finished the picture questions or short questions rather than the essays or accounts.
    Look through past exam papers and look for patterns throughout the years. Essay titles that came up last year are very unlikely to come up this year, while titles from a couple of years ago are more likely to appear. For Question 6 you should study 2 of Irish history, 20th century Europe or Social Change thoroughly as those topics are guaranteed to come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

For history its all theory that u need to know. Check out the junior cert people in history predictions forum for pretty good predictions on what questions are most likely to come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭ECM1234

For pictures/ documents, practice previous years in exam papers up until 2007, also learn your people in history essays. Learn the archaeologist, the planter, the leader during irish independence, person in a names civilisation outside Ireland, and a factory/mine worker. (Don't bother with Columbus or Luther they came up last year!) also know a named revolutionary in Ireland France or America. For Q5 just practice over revolutionaries and age of exploration chapters. For Q6, I usually do C and D because I find them to be the easiest and most predictable. One good way, I found of remembering events in Ireland, is by listening to Rebel songs on YouTube, you won't believe how handy they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Stop wasting time on boards and get studying
    Take a gamble and learn sample answers in each subjects. Cut the crap and learn the core issues. It's better to understand a subject then learning off. Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Stop wasting time on boards and get studying
    Take a gamble and learn sample answers in each subjects. Cut the crap and learn the core issues. It's better to understand a subject then learning off. Good luck

Oh the irony :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cillixn

Hi, im doing
    English (OL)
    Maths (OL)
    Science (HL)
    Geography (HL)
    French (OL)
    Technical Graphics (OL)
    Religion (HL)
    History(HL)
    Irish (OL)
    Art (HL) (Done)

Will somebody tell me how/what to study hoping to get an a/b in the things i do ordinary besides irish, any tips would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

I know this is really late to ask but I'm desperate
    for the Irish exam there is a section where you change verbs from one tense to another

thing is i have no idea how to do this and was wondering if there was a certain rule or something

I'm a pretty fast learner so if anyone has any knowledge could they please share

thetalker wrote: »
    I know this is really late to ask but I'm desperate
    for the Irish exam there is a section where you change verbs from one tense to another

thing is i have no idea how to do this and was wondering if there was a certain rule or something

I'm a pretty fast learner so if anyone has any knowledge could they please share

Do you have an Irish textbook or grammar book? They should contain the rules for the different tenses.

emersyn wrote: »
    Do you have an Irish textbook or grammar book? They should contain the rules for the different tenses.

I was in a hurry and left it at school.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

spurious wrote: »

thanks spurious you really saved me

hope everyone does well for Irish, i know I'm dreading it!

Advertisement