Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick cat

• 01-06-2014 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

My cat has got sick recently and has been to the vet 3 times in the last week. The vet has done X rays but theres doesn't seem to be anything bad showing up in them. We have an idea what he may be suffering with but were not 100% sure.

The symptoms that he is displaying are:
    -Loss of appetite
    -Unable to pass urine
    -Pain
    -lethargy
    -Unable to open his bowels
    -Change in colour of his eyes(from green to a very bright almost yellow)

The vet thinks it might be cystitis but is not fully sure the cat had to be brought to the vets 3 time to be catheterised as he's unable to pass urine by himself because there is a blockage in his urethra.He's currently on a broad spectrum antibiotic to clear up the infection and liquid paraffin because he has not performed a bowel motion in several days.The vet did consider more sinister things to be wrong with my cat but hes not displaying all the symptoms associated with those diseases such as FIV (feline aids) and Feline Leukemia.

The cat is about a year old he was a stray until i found him in january. He was always healthy upto a few weeks ago i got him neutered and after that i noticed him not eating as much and been a lot sleepier which i thought was an affect of the neutering but in the last week he has really gone downhill.I should also mention he got a scratch on his ear a few weeks ago as well which got infected and he was put on antibiotics and got two injections this cleared up well.

I would really appreciate anyone's opinions on what may be wrong with the cat or anybody that has experienced the same with their cat thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

having been to the vet so many times has the vet not suggested keeping your can in and putting it on an iv drip

poor little pet must be feeling very off colour with so many things going on

• Registered Users Posts: 7 maria1991

jimf wrote: »
    having been to the vet so many times has the vet not suggested keeping your can in and putting it on an iv drip

poor little pet must be feeling very off colour with so many things going on

Hi
    The vet kept him in friday night until 6pm saturday evening. He then said he was sending the cat home for the long weekend. He never mentioned putting him on a drip but the cat is drinking plenty but as for food he is only having a couple of mouthfuls every few hours.Yes he is very under the weather at the moment but has not been the same after been neutered hopefully we find out what is wrong with him, the vet said that he is baffled to what is exactly wrong with him.It did show up in one of the Xrays that his gut is slightly inflamed.I just hope its nothing too bad. He is displaying majority of the symptoms for cystitis except for the blood in the urine he does not have this symptom of cystitis.I hope he gets better soon. Thanks for reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It wouldn't be good news but has the vet mentioned FIP? He does tick some of the risk factors and the disease can affect the eyes.

boomerang wrote: »
    It wouldn't be good news but has the vet mentioned FIP? He does tick some of the risk factors and the disease can affect the eyes.

Hi
    I had never heard of that disease before. I have just researched it there a bit and yes you're right the cat is portraying most of the symptoms for it. I should have mentioned also he has lost a lot of weight and his sides are gone very narrow but his tummy area is swollen this also been a symptom of FIP.The vet never mentioned this disease to me. If it is this that he has it doesnt look like there will be a good outcome for him.Thanks for telling me about it i will be doing a lot more research on it. The vet asked that i bring the cat back to him tuesday i will mention FIP to him . Thank you.

Tummy mightn't be swollen - that is the last place a cat loses weight - they lose it off their back and sides first. Plus if he hasn't pooped, that is taking up a lot of space as well. xxx

• Advertisement

Tummy mightn't be swollen - that is the last place a cat loses weight - they lose it off their back and sides first. Plus if he hasn't pooped, that is taking up a lot of space as well. xxx

I will mention it to the vet on tuesday anyway because the change in the colour of his eyes is frightening they are an luminous yellow they were always a light green . Hes on an antibiotic which if its FIP its not going to work. yes his back and sides are gone very thin. Also i noticed thursday morning he could barely walk. Hes a little bit stronger now than he was thursday but still a very sick cat.Thank you for all your help, in all the researching i was doing i never came across FIP and symptoms do match it, they match the wet form of FIP .I will let you know tuesday what the outcome is. Thanks again.

Luminous yellow doesn't sound good, that could be jaundice. Better to trust your vet than a randomer on the internet like me, though! Poor kitty I hope he improves. Will you let us know how he is?

Luminous yellow doesn't sound good, that could be jaundice. Better to trust your vet than a randomer on the internet like me, though! Poor kitty I hope he improves. Will you let us know how he is?
    Hi
    Yes i am going to the vet again tomorrow. I will let you know what he says. The cat is eating better today and urinating a lot more but his urine is very concentrated its orange.
    His eyes are still yellow and he did manage to poo this morning but it was very small and very hard.

maria1991 wrote: »
    Hi
    Yes i am going to the vet again tomorrow. I will let you know what he says. The cat is eating better today and urinating a lot more but his urine is very concentrated its orange.
    His eyes are still yellow and he did manage to poo this morning but it was very small and very hard.
    Just an update.My cat is gone back to the vet overnight as he couldn't walk today his two back legs were giving away from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Just an update.My cat is gone back to the vet overnight as he couldn't walk today his two back legs were giving away from him.
    Ahh that's awful, fingers crossed for him.

• Advertisement

Hi,
    Just to update about my little cat he was finally diagnosed Wednesday evening as having a heart defect which he was born with.Another vet took a look at the X-rays and noticed his heart was enlarged.The symptoms that he was also showing pointed the vet in the right direction to what he was suffering from as they were calling him a mystery cat because they couldn't pin point what was wrong with him.
    My cat Pish wish (I know it's a weird name there's a story behind it ) was diagnosed with Feline Aortic Thromboebolism also known as Saddle Thrombus.This being the reason he lost power in his back legs because his heart was sending out blood clots which we're blocking the blood supply to his back legs.He was kept in wed night and I went to collect him Thursday at about 3. He was put on aspirin to thin his blood.He had gone down a lot since I had seen him last, Wednesday morning.Anyhow I followed vets directions for Pish wish which was keeping him warm as his body was cold from lack of good blood supply and give warm fluids.I brought him home at about 3 Thursday and got him into his bed with his water bottle and blankets and administered his aspirin but I just kept thinking to myself this cat is dying so I rang vet at half 5 and told him my concerns and he said that this disease was going to be a slow process.I did say to vet that I did think the cat was dying to which he replied not to rule that out either.
    After the phone call I had noticed Pish wish was a bit soiled as he couldn't get to his litter tray so I cleaned him up and stayed with him for a few mins,this was about 6:15 I then left the room and came back about 10 mins later to check on him and he had died in the period of time that I left him.I was so upset and still am I regretted not staying in the room the extra few mins but at least he died at home and not in the vets.Its also a pitty he wasn't diagnosed earlier because that would have given the aspirin a chance to work but cats with this condition only live till 2 or 3 anyway so maybe he was better off.
    Thanks to everyone for replying to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Hi,
    Just to update about my little cat he was finally diagnosed Wednesday evening as having a heart defect which he was born with.Another vet took a look at the X-rays and noticed his heart was enlarged.The symptoms that he was also showing pointed the vet in the right direction to what he was suffering from as they were calling him a mystery cat because they couldn't pin point what was wrong with him.
    My cat Pish wish (I know it's a weird name there's a story behind it ) was diagnosed with Feline Aortic Thromboebolism also known as Saddle Thrombus.This being the reason he lost power in his back legs because his heart was sending out blood clots which we're blocking the blood supply to his back legs.He was kept in wed night and I went to collect him Thursday at about 3. He was put on aspirin to thin his blood.He had gone down a lot since I had seen him last, Wednesday morning.Anyhow I followed vets directions for Pish wish which was keeping him warm as his body was cold from lack of good blood supply and give warm fluids.I brought him home at about 3 Thursday and got him into his bed with his water bottle and blankets and administered his aspirin but I just kept thinking to myself this cat is dying so I rang vet at half 5 and told him my concerns and he said that this disease was going to be a slow process.I did say to vet that I did think the cat was dying to which he replied not to rule that out either.
    After the phone call I had noticed Pish wish was a bit soiled as he couldn't get to his litter tray so I cleaned him up and stayed with him for a few mins,this was about 6:15 I then left the room and came back about 10 mins later to check on him and he had died in the period of time that I left him.I was so upset and still am I regretted not staying in the room the extra few mins but at least he died at home and not in the vets.Its also a pitty he wasn't diagnosed earlier because that would have given the aspirin a chance to work but cats with this condition only live till 2 or 3 anyway so maybe he was better off.
    Thanks to everyone for replying to me.
    Sorry for your loss but you did all you could and as noted Pish died in the comforts of his home which is the best way for any animal to go if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm so sorry for your loss. You did everything you could and puss had a loving home.

Advertisement