Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to Roscommon

• 01-06-2014 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of moving to Roscommon to start a new relaxed life with my 9 year old son, can anybody advise me on what areas are good for schools? Is there any areas I should avoid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Roscommon town or county?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

County, like the look of elphin? Or loughglynn I'm easy really :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

PinkFly wrote: »
    County, like the look of elphin? Or loughglynn I'm easy really :)

Yeah whatever you think, both are nice. I'd favour the more southern part if I was you but that's just personal!

Have you had any experience of schools in the area? It's extremely hard to find up to date info on Google!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

You won't have much choice of schools, it'll al depend on where you decide to live.

What sort of place are you moving from?
    You're looking at v quiet places, possibly a very big change for you. You'll be in the car a lot. Public transport is pretty much non existent.

Would you consider a bigger town in Roscommon? You'd have the best of urban/rural life then, none if the towns being very big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Addle wrote: »
    You're looking at v quiet places, possibly a very big change for you. You'll be in the car a lot. Public transport is pretty much non existent.

Totally agree with this comment pinkfly. If I was to have my choices again I'd be looking towards the bigger towns like Athlone.

There is a N.S. in Loughglynn, a friends little one goes there (Jnr Infant), she seems to like it. There's also St Attractas N.S. in Ballaghaderreen. If you have a look at www.schooldays.ie, you can get a list of schools in the areas you mention.

As for secondary schools, the nearest secondary schools for Loughglynn would be either St Nathy's in Ballaghaderreen or Castlerea Comunity School (I'm open to correction on this). St Nathy's from what I've heard seems to have a good rep, don't know anyone who goes to Castlerea.

Don't know too much about Elphin I'm afraid, so can't help you there.

Stay away from the secondary school in Castlerea!!! Though they are changing principal this year so hopefully it will improve.
    From what I hear about it, it can't get any worse anyways.

Thanks for all your comments, I'm coming from Drogheda so yes it's going to be a big big change but the house prices are out of my reach here and I'm looking for a complete fresh start,a more simple way of living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

[QUOTE=PinkFly;90657289a more simple way of living.[/QUOTE]

You will certainly get that in Loughglynn!

Ballinlough is just up the road and could be another option if you are looking for a "quiet" area. Some good value in houses around it or at least there seems to be any time I go home to it.

Thanks for all your comments, I'm coming from Drogheda so yes it's going to be a big big change but the house prices are out of my reach here and I'm looking for a complete fresh start,a more simple way of living.

Well.... as far as property's concerned, there's definately bargains to be had out this way :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

As has been said already, public transport is more or less non existant. Moving from a large town to somewhere like Loughglynn will be a huge change for you. The north of the county is the most underdeveloped part, bad roads etc. Even Ros town is quite small relative to Drogheda. Definately come down for a few days to get a feel for the place and see what you think.

I'm from closer to Roscommon town so can't really comment on Loughlynn or Elphin. Elphin is close to Carrick-on-Shannon, so that's something.
    Roscommon town is great!!!

How about somewhere like Knockroghery?
    I know kids in the national school there. V happy boys. Non stop go go go with sports, gaa and soccer. A very musical heritage there, scor is massive. But no decent supermarket. a coffee shop is opening apparently. Then you could choose between Athlone and Roscommon for secondary schools.

+1 for Dr Kenneth and Addle. I'm north Roscommon and as I said previous if I had my choices again I'd have gone for Athlone maybe even Knockcroghery.

Dr Kenneth is right though come over for a few days and check it out before committing. Wish you all the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Just to warn you that theres feck all jobs in ros, you might have to look iN big towns like Sligo castlebar or galway depending on what part of ros you live in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Stay in the south. At least you can drink the water. Also there is a better chance of some work in the likes of Athlone, Roscommon town or Ballinasloe

Have to agree with both RoscommonTom and Santa Cruz - the work situation is pretty dire in the north of the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

North of the county has lovely scenery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    North of the county has lovely scenery.

I would say that Roscommon is a county that is badly served by the authorities responsible for tourism development. It has golf courses, racecourse, access to motorways, rail links, River Shannon, access to Knock Airport. It has lovely flat roads for cycling, forest parks etc.
    The I.D.A. pumps millions in to attracting foreign investment whereas if a fraction of that was pumped in to developing a good imaginative marketing strategy for Roscommon tourism it would create many sustainable jobs.
    Of course local politicians have a lot to answer for too.

Tourism advertising budget for Galway and Mayo is €2 million.
    Roscommon is €100,000 (if even). Or something pathetic like that.

what region is Roscommon even marketed as being in?
    in some brochures its in the West, others it's the midlands, others Shannon region.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭penelope2012

I agree with the other posters, water is desperate in North Roscommon. Another thing to remember is that if you want to be able to leave Roscommon for the day you should move to Boyle, Castlerea or Roscommon. Avoid Ballaghaderreen as there is only Bus Eireann service to Dublin or Westport. With the other towns you have a train station.

If you are moving to N. Ros would you not consider Mayo? Charlestown is really well served by buses, Dublin, Westport, Galway, Sligo, Derry and the airport is just up the road!!

Good luck with the move!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please do not use the thread to post "anti recommendations", not everyone may agree with your views on a particular place.
    Do post any recommendations you may have instead. I'm sure OP would be interested in hearing those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭GIMP

Loughglynn, small village, not much in the way of social activities or things to do.

There is/has been some anti social behaviour in the village in past couple of years.

School is small and could be more progressive.

Tourism advertising budget for Galway and Mayo is €2 million.
    Roscommon is €100,000 (if even). Or something pathetic like that.

what region is Roscommon even marketed as being in?
    in some brochures its in the West, others it's the midlands, others Shannon region.

the problem is that were surrounded by counties with much nicer seenery like mayo galway and Sligo so it's not easy to make fellas come to ros when theres much nicer close by. Some other fella recomended knockrockery which is a food idea with it being close go athlone and ros town and being to the trainline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭GIMP

Knockcrockery much better bet, train doesn't stop there but it has good towns nearby, rents are high though if that is the plan and not buy.

few things you need in a rural village

shop
    pub
    post office
    school
    garda station

Knockcroghery barely has a shop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭X1R

The list is pretty big for county roscommon. Strokestown, tulsk, Tarmonbarry or rooskey are very close to sligo, carrick on Shannon, athlone, mullingar and longford for shopping or entertainment, all have good primary schools (clooncagh, whitehall, kilglass, strokestown has two primary schools, tulsk), strokestown secondary is after having a major revamp or longford has its secondary schools (personally id lean towards strokestown as its not as rough). Then you have knockrockery, Roscommon town, athleague all close enough to athlone. Head further west frenchpark, ballinagar, castlerea, loughglynn. Not from that side of the county but employment is poor everywhere in the county but the first two selections give you a better chance. Good luck with the move

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Ahoy Ahoy

God help ye!!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I know the Ballinlough area well. Used to go once a month to stay in the family home in that area when I was a kid. Don't know about Schools etc but there are some lovely people that come from there. If it's quiet and cheap you're looking for that's a good place. Good proximity to Galway etc as well

• Advertisement

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I know the Ballinlough area well. Used to go once a month to stay in the family home in that area when I was a kid. Don't know about Schools etc but there are some lovely people that come from there. If it's quiet and cheap you're looking for that's a good place. Good proximity to Galway etc as well

Oh christ not ballinglough, sure is there a ship or pub left open in the place, its like a ghost town, must be the worst town in ros

• Registered Users Posts: 3 helenmc2

Curraghboy is a lovely quiet village, two shops, PO, national school, pub... and only 7 miles from Athlone town

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mike123!

Strokestown is the no1 secondary school in Roscommon.Very good school with a new state of the art 3 million extension. Good facilities and and well ran. Try stay away from living in the town itself tho, the surrounding area is very nice. The only famine museum in Ireland is there and has a mountain, the Shannon and numerous lakes within 5 miles! Apart from that not much else around the town.

Best of luck with the move anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Keep driving through Ros and come to Mayo. Easily best county in the Whest:pac::pac:

mike123! wrote: »
    Strokestown is the no1 secondary school in Roscommon.Very good school with a new state of the art 3 million extension. Good facilities and and well ran. Try stay away from living in the town itself tho, the surrounding area is very nice. The only famine museum in Ireland is there and has a mountain, the Shannon and numerous lakes within 5 miles! Apart from that not much else around the town.

Best of luck with the move anyways!

did you just call sliabh bán a mountain?

mike123! wrote: »
    Strokestown is the no1 secondary school in Roscommon.

No. 1 mixed school?
    Isn't the Convent in Roscommon town one of the top non fee paying secondary schools in the country? All girls though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭X1R

did you just call sliabh bán a mountain?

Try walking or running it............its mountainous! !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

No. 1 mixed school?
    Isn't the Convent in Roscommon town one of the top non fee paying secondary schools in the country? All girls though.

I could be wrong but haven't seen strokestown on the list but the Convent in Roscommon town usually is in or around the top 100 in the country and always number 1 in County Roscommon.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I could be wrong but haven't seen strokestown on the list but the Convent in Roscommon town usually is in or around the top 100 in the country and always number 1 in County Roscommon.

Top 5 more like.
    Sure how many secondary schools are there in Ireland?!
    I was very lucky to have gone to school there.

Top 5 more like.
    Sure how many secondary schools are there in Ireland?!
    I was very lucky to have gone to school there.

Maybe top 5 non paying all girls schools but they have never afaik been that high on the lists
    I talking about the Sunday Times yearly lists.

Maybe top 5 non paying all girls schools but they have never afaik been that high on the lists
    I talking about the Sunday Times yearly lists.

and what do they know?

• Advertisement

and what do they know?

Compared to who ?

Its the only list of its kind in Ireland and its based on progression rate to college.So until there is a more comprehensive assessment of schools here I cant see what else we can use to judge schools.

So where are people getting the information from that the convent is in Top 5?

Compared to who ?

Its the only list of its kind in Ireland and its based on progression rate to college.So until there is a more comprehensive assessment of schools here I cant see what else we can use to judge schools.

So where are people getting the information from that the convent is in Top 5?

progression to college is not a measure of how good a school is

I mean, far less girls will go into apprenticeships than say, pupils from the Community College or CBS
    so it skews the figures

progression to college is not a measure of how good a school is

I mean, far less girls will go into apprenticeships than say, pupils from the Community College or CBS
    so it skews the figures

progression to college shouldn't be the only measure but it is definitely a factor.

How would you measure it across the country ?

BTW where did people get that the convent was top 5 ?any link to a report/article ?

BTW where did people get that the convent was top 5 ?any link to a report/article ?

Just from memory, I can't find an article online, but I remember the piece mentioning sports results as well as progression to third level.

Anyways, it's not important to the thread. The OP has a son.

Advertisement