Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English HL: How many poems do you do?

• 01-06-2014 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

My teacher always recommends we do six poems in our poetry essays, as the syllabus says that, etc. but in the mocks I just about had enough time to do five. Do you think five poems is enough, and how many do you do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Shane15 wrote: »
    My teacher always recommends we do six poems in our poetry essays, as the syllabus says that, etc. but in the mocks I just about had enough time to do five. Do you think five poems is enough, and how many do you do?

My teacher has given me an A2 for 5 poems in an essay. I also regularly get B's doing 4 poems.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

MikeSD wrote: »
    My teacher has given me an A2 for 5 poems in an essay. I also regularly get B's doing 4 poems.

Hmm ok, I think I'll stick to five because I do the poetry first and I don't want to spend too much time on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Write about 4, mention a 5th if you have time. Always what Ive been told!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I always do four. As long as you go into sufficient depth I think you should be okay. I've got full marks and 45+ from my teacher who is an experienced corrector doing it this way. He says doing six compromises the level of analysis you give as you simply don't have time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

4 in detail, mention 2 others but just for comparative purposes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I saw an A1 answer with just three once!!!

Four is fine, then reference two others in another paragraph. That's what I always aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

Thanks everyone, I always thought doing six was too much.

Advertisement